Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    stupid question, but what's keeping anyone from practicing no-gi techniques while wearing a gi? i'm pretty sure you're allowed to not grip the gi if you want to work on no-gi stuff.
    You can. Your opponent may not be.

Further, just the friction of the fabric changes things. I'll often just hold wrists as opposed to grip the gi with no-gi in mind. However gripping a gi covered wrist is a lot different than a sweaty bare wrist.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    You can. Your opponent may not be.

Further, just the friction of the fabric changes things. I'll often just hold wrists as opposed to grip the gi with no-gi in mind. However gripping a gi covered wrist is a lot different than a sweaty bare wrist.
    ok, that makes sense. i guess it would be something you would have to discuss with your training partner.

as far as friction, i would think that may be beneficial as far as training right goes.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 11:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only because it makes it easier to submit and harder to escape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 11:52am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Gi forces you to getter better at your escapes. No-gi forces you to get better at your controls.
    This arguement makes the most sense to me because both gi and no gi require you to improve your overall positional movement and gripping in different aspects of your game.

With a gi, as we've previously established, your escapes have to rely on your positioning rather than just slipperyness because you're just not as slippery.

No-gi forces you to control your opponent better based on where you're gripping and the type of grip that you use because it's easy for him to slip out. This forces you to develop good habits in terms of what part of your opponent's body you choose to grip and control.

Both are very important, and I don't think that only training one or the other will yield the same level of results as training both will.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 12:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    ok, that makes sense. i guess it would be something you would have to discuss with your training partner.
    There might be an easier and more accurate way to simulate no gi than both wearing gis, but agreeing not to grip them. Maybe an inquisitor could suggest it to you.

I've only just started training no gi, and so far I think I prefer the faster paced game and the increased difficulty of submitting my noob arse. One positive side effect has been the removal of my normal stall-from-closed-guard-pawing-at-collar option, which has encouraged me to open up my offensive bottom game, both with and without the gi. So yeah, as far as this whitebelt can see, doing both = good.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 5/12/2006 12:30pm at .

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 9:30am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Gi forces you to getter better at your escapes. No-gi forces you to get better at your controls.
    I've discovered a cunning way to exploit this. I wear a gi to class. Some of the other people who turn up do not wear a gi. I get the bonus of learning no-gi control and gi escapes in the same roll.

Whaddya mean, "it's not no-gi control if you sleeve choke them"?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    I've discovered a cunning way to exploit this. I wear a gi to class. Some of the other people who turn up do not wear a gi. I get the bonus of learning no-gi control and gi escapes in the same roll.

Whaddya mean, "it's not no-gi control if you sleeve choke them"?
    sneaky bastard!
  8. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 10:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    When the grapplers are experienced, the gi often slows down the game by an order of magnitude. It's easy to secure your position by grabbing onto your opponents sleeve, pant leg, belt, collar etc. and hold him there. These 'handholds' also provide a more technical dimension to the game. You have many more points on your opponents body to manipulate with the handy dandy gi. I can't grab and hold onto my opponents waist in no-gi n the same manner as gi.

For example: My preferred pass when using the gi is a low and slow type of pass. I move slowly, grabbing and securing some portion of the gi as I pass in an incremental fashion.

In no-gi, I favor speed oriented, athletic passes. This is mostly because there's no clothing to grab as I pass and arms, ankles, hips and knees are notoriously hard to keep a grip on when both competitors are sweaty.
    Interesting perspective...
    I guess I will stick with my Kimono only BJJ...since I am naturally as slow as a sloth swiming through molasses.:eusa_doh:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 10:33am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't move so quick neither.

Zing!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you sweat like I do you can tell the difference. No-gi for me is like being covered in vegetable oil. I even sweat on my hands. I'm icky.

But then again I live in Las Vegas. Hot is a way of life here.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast