Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 10:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good to hear you're training again

Fuckin' wussies. I'm older than you E and I still walk to school in the snow...uphill...both ways. And by walk I mean hobble around with my cane until my Rascal scooter is fully charged.

I run over teenagers all the time. Speed bumps with zits, that's what I call them.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 1:15am

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Fuckin' wussies. I'm older than you E and I still walk to school in the snow...uphill...both ways. And by walk I mean hobble around with my cane until my Rascal scooter is fully charged.

I run over teenagers all the time. Speed bumps with zits, that's what I call them.
    Hahaha, do you play Weird Al's "When I was your age" on your Rascal's surround sound?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 8:19am

supporting member
     Style: None currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Have you done any remedial exercises, some sort of physical therapy? My sis is a physical therapist, so she gave me advice in what things to do to properly recover from some of my injuries.
    Well, I saw a sports medicine guy last week about my chronic tendonitis in my elbow, and he gave me some anti-inflammatories and recommended some exercises to help my rehabilitation. I'm seeing a really good chiropractor to help get rid of some chronic back and hip problems. I should probably see someone about the ankle that I sprained 7 months ago, but my health insurance only pays for so much in a year, alas.

There's a new boxing gym close to where I live. I might start going there to do some cardio and weights, and maybe do some boxing drills with the goal of eventually doing some MMA training. But I have to get my back problems sorted out first.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 9:50am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman
    Well, I saw a sports medicine guy last week about my chronic tendonitis in my elbow, and he gave me some anti-inflammatories and recommended some exercises to help my rehabilitation. I'm seeing a really good chiropractor to help get rid of some chronic back and hip problems. I should probably see someone about the ankle that I sprained 7 months ago, but my health insurance only pays for so much in a year, alas.

There's a new boxing gym close to where I live. I might start going there to do some cardio and weights, and maybe do some boxing drills with the goal of eventually doing some MMA training. But I have to get my back problems sorted out first.
    For your back problems may I suggest Bikram Yoga??? That **** is a bit expensive in some areas, and unfortunately it is not covered by health insurance (go figures). That's the type of yoga done in a room heated with dry air at almost 90 degrees for 90 minutes. It's a bitch do to, but it really helps the back.

Just image, I got so bad that I couldn't bend my back to touch my knees with the palms of my hands, my right ankle was stiffer than a hard-on, and I couldn't rotate my neck that much to my right!!! :dead:

I did that type of yoga for a month, 3-5 times a weeks, and man, all those problems went away. Even my sinus and a chronic cough I had went away (I feel like I'm doing an infomercial :tongue6:) You may want to wrap your elbow (the one with tendonitis) while doing yoga, but I really, really, really recommend it - check it out, it may do yo wonders :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 9:59am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh cuz of $$$ reasons and becuase I didn't have a health insurance. To be honest, Judo has been my passion but it's been since I was a kid that did anything serious with it.

I did a short sting with BJJ for three months, but it was just too expensive - I was forking $100 for two classes a day w/o randori. To take more classes and do randori I would have had to fork $200 a month for 36 months, with a $300 down payment. It's an excellent school, but **** that!!!

While doing BJJ, I got turf toe and sprained both ankles several times. That and the fact that I was getting my knuckles wacked every Saturday at my escrima class, and that somehow I busted my right hand punching a bag, that made me realize "****, I can't do this w/o insurance".

So I bailed out and started looking for some coverage. The thing is that I work as a contractor, so usually I don't have any benefits. But after 3 months of back and forth with my contracting agency, I got some coverage through them in which I only pay 50%. :toothy10: (Plus, I'm thinking to get an accidental coverage insurance as well).

So the day I got my health insurance id card, that was the day I joined the Judo club :) I still don't know what I will do on Saturdays - either I'll go back to escrima or do some kickboxing/sanshou thingie. Don't know yet (????)

I'm very concerned though, because I'm not a teenager anymore. I'm just about to turn 37, and my bones can feel it - we'll see if the constant throwing is not going to mess my back. We'll see :)

Glad to hear you are training again!!! Bro, I had no idea you were turning 37, you look 10 years younger! I know the feeling though, I am 37, and feel it when I push too hard. I stopped doing BJJ for about 2 plus months now, just hurting too much, and it was more to being out of shape. So, I'm back in the gym working on my back and getting it stronger, coupled with therapy.

Good luck training Bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: None currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did that type of yoga for a month, 3-5 times a weeks, and man, all those problems went away. Even my sinus and a chronic cough I had went away (I feel like I'm doing an infomercial :tongue6:) You may want to wrap your elbow (the one with tendonitis) while doing yoga, but I really, really, really recommend it - check it out, it may do yo wonders :)
    Hmm, I'll have to give yoga some serious thought then. I really really REALLY hate heat, though, so that part of it doesn't sound so appealing :-P

My chiropractor has been doing some soft tissue therapy on my back that has really worked wonders in a short period of time. Hopefully a couple more weeks of that and I'll be ready to think about doing some kind of training without re-injuring myself.

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 1:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Glad to hear you are training again!!! Bro, I had no idea you were turning 37, you look 10 years younger! I know the feeling though, I am 37, and feel it when I push too hard. I stopped doing BJJ for about 2 plus months now, just hurting too much, and it was more to being out of shape. So, I'm back in the gym working on my back and getting it stronger, coupled with therapy.

Good luck training Bro!
    Man, it feels good to be told I look younger. LOL. But really, I feel my limbs like rubber. My instructor actually told me to take it easy at first and get "aclimatized". So far so good, but I'm not taking any chances so I wrap both ankles and knees. I'm basically going every day for 2 hours, and maybe I may even go on Saturdays... don't know yet since I also want to go back to my escrima classes.

I'm trying to squeeze some time in the morning to lift weights and do bag work. I've been putting a lot of carefull effort in the last three months to work my back and my grip, and thank God, it's paying dividends :) So basically it's gym-work-dojo-bed :tongue3: I think I can push myself harder as long as I remember to wrap my knees and ankles... and sometimes my left elbow. LOL.

Wish me luck man. Good luck to you, too!!!

ps... I checked Luis Gutierrez' school a few weeks ago as you suggested a while back... niiiiice!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 1:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman
    Hmm, I'll have to give yoga some serious thought then. I really really REALLY hate heat, though, so that part of it doesn't sound so appealing :-P

My chiropractor has been doing some soft tissue therapy on my back that has really worked wonders in a short period of time. Hopefully a couple more weeks of that and I'll be ready to think about doing some kind of training without re-injuring myself.
    I know bro, the heat just sucks, but believe me, it does something to your muscles and joins. It relaxes them as you stretch. After the second class, I was able to sleep painlessly for the first time in months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12