Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weee, I'm training again!!!

Weee, weee, weee. After more than three months of not doing anything other than lifting weights, I'm finally doing some training. Tonight I joined the Ki Itsu Sai Judo club in Ft. Lauderdale - there are very few adults, mostly teens, but mind you, some of them are just fucking huge.

I got paired up with a 15 year old kid that's 200lbs - ****, I spent like 90 minutes in uchi-komi, first seio nage and then osoto gari. Holy crap, that kid was like a rock, and fucking strong. Anyways, I ended up with a large bruise below my right pec and on my right shoulder, where he was making contact while practicing osoto gari. My right shoulder blade is hurting as well, which is to be expected.

Two things: my cardio was good, which I guess it paid off to train for that during these three months. And second, my grip was a lot stronger than when I took BJJ back in October. I gotta thank grapplearts.com for the article in grip strenght.

It was pretty cool just to be doing something, for training for a chance. I'm so fucking happy :llorar:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:49pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get into pissy moods when I can't train. hehe glad your back to training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 7:35am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is Sensei Doyan still teaching there? And Tony?

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 7:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    Is Sensei Doyan still teaching there? And Tony?
    I gotta ask Johnny Prado, he and his brother (I think) are teaching. There is another Sensei, from Cuba, who I forgot his name. I still have to meet more people there, but I have the impression different instructors come at different times with Prado being the one there every day. I'll ask around and let you know ;)

... I can't believe I'm so #$#@ tired. Man, I'm getting old!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 8:01am

supporting member
     Style: None currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, that's great! I hope to start training again "real soon now", after I deal with some nagging injuries that won't seem to go away. Oh, the joys of getting old...

Why did you have to stop training in the first place?

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 8:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh cuz of $$$ reasons and becuase I didn't have a health insurance. To be honest, Judo has been my passion but it's been since I was a kid that did anything serious with it.

I did a short sting with BJJ for three months, but it was just too expensive - I was forking $100 for two classes a day w/o randori. To take more classes and do randori I would have had to fork $200 a month for 36 months, with a $300 down payment. It's an excellent school, but **** that!!!

While doing BJJ, I got turf toe and sprained both ankles several times. That and the fact that I was getting my knuckles wacked every Saturday at my escrima class, and that somehow I busted my right hand punching a bag, that made me realize "****, I can't do this w/o insurance".

So I bailed out and started looking for some coverage. The thing is that I work as a contractor, so usually I don't have any benefits. But after 3 months of back and forth with my contracting agency, I got some coverage through them in which I only pay 50%. :toothy10: (Plus, I'm thinking to get an accidental coverage insurance as well).

So the day I got my health insurance id card, that was the day I joined the Judo club :) I still don't know what I will do on Saturdays - either I'll go back to escrima or do some kickboxing/sanshou thingie. Don't know yet (????)

I'm very concerned though, because I'm not a teenager anymore. I'm just about to turn 37, and my bones can feel it - we'll see if the constant throwing is not going to mess my back. We'll see :)

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: None currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    I'm very concerned though, because I'm not a teenager anymore. I'm just about to turn 37, and my bones can feel it - we'll see if the constant throwing is not going to mess my back. We'll see :)
    I hear ya. I'm going to turn 40 in the fall, and while I enjoyed training in the past (even if it was _ing _un and I still can't fight for ****), I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting too old for this kind of thing. I haven't trained at all this year, and my body is still aching from old injuries. That's not a good sign.

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What, no stickfighting?!?!

You sissy.
    :new_all_c

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 10:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    What, no stickfighting?!?!

You sissy.
    He! I'm going back to the stick-wack-thingie this Saturday :new_all_c

Meh, I'm really geting old. Tonight I got my wind knocked out when the instructor did a osoto gari on me. We were doing a 3 person uki chomi and the fool that was supposed to hold me was in la-la-land. So of course the instructor came in full force, and ****** I was airborne landing on my back. I could feel what I had for breakfast sticking to the front of my ribcage. You should have seen his face, like "****, are you ok".

Anyways, I was ok, but it really remind me I'm getting old. Oh **** it, you only live once.

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 10:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman
    I hear ya. I'm going to turn 40 in the fall, and while I enjoyed training in the past (even if it was _ing _un and I still can't fight for ****), I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting too old for this kind of thing. I haven't trained at all this year, and my body is still aching from old injuries. That's not a good sign.
    Have you done any remedial exercises, some sort of physical therapy? My sis is a physical therapist, so she gave me advice in what things to do to properly recover from some of my injuries.

I also developed horrible, horrible muscular imbalances and inflexibilities, but my ex g/f was in yoga, and she got me into it. Yoga really did a lot of good things to my health, my back, my neck, you name it. I don't think I would be doing Judo or anything else for that matter if it wasn't because of Yoga and my sis' help.

Nutrition also help. I take glucosamine daily... being doing it for a year now, and I could feel my joins better. I also take creatine most of the time, and at least in my mind, it helps. Last, but not least, I take tribulus terrestris pills - it's a natural extract that helps maintain testosterone to normal levels... levels which go down when we get into our 30's. I'm gaining weight for the first time in a lot of years, with a bit of a change in nutrition, but also since I started taking tribulus.

Whatever natural and safe that can keep my engines going :icon_thum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast