Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 2:13am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Total lol-age (omigod I'm such a crappler)

I watched this video friday and practiced it a few times on a guy who lives in my corridor. Sunday I went and won two matches with that very cross-choke to armbar in a competition.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 4:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitsuman
    What do you guys think about the crossing of the ankles when doing that mounted arm bar?

Even with the elbow inside the legs I find that it makes me 'lighter' and easier for the guy to roll up so I end up with the arm bar from guard instead.
    Bas Rutten addressed this very question on his Big DVD's of Combat, I thought his take on it was pretty interesting.

He varies the angle of the elbow while twisting the hand and bicep in opposite directions when applying the arm bar. His hip thrust ends up being at more of an angle; hips thrust down toward the opponents waist at roughly a 45 degree angle rather than the typical 90 degree straight up after securing the arm.

He also crosses his feet (can't remember if it is head foot over chest foot or visa versa) and maintains that it actually gives him better control than not cross. He does state that there is a split regarding whether it is "correct" or not to cross.......but.....he's Bas Rutten and he doesn't give a ****.

After watching the video I tried the "Bas" arm bar slight variation during randori and found the twist and 45 degree thrust (without the leg cross) resulted in a quicker reaction, i.e., tap out, than the standard. BUT, to each his own I guess.

I've always been taught that crossing was blasphemy so I don't cross, I just thought Bas' take was different.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 5:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crossing your feet is one of those things people make too big a deal about.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Word.

There are times when it helps to secure position and other times where it makes everything go south.

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 10:22pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Bingo.

Incidentally, I taught the grip break to my instructor tonight. He hadn't seen it before, and he liked it quite a bit. Feel free to assume that he'll be using it on me the next time we roll.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 12:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Bingo.

Incidentally, I taught the grip break to my instructor tonight. He hadn't seen it before, and he liked it quite a bit. Feel free to assume that he'll be using it on me the next time we roll.
    LOL, don't you just hate that ****........I did the same thing with a bicep crusher/slicer that my training partner and I saw in a Gene Labell book. I started using that and similar variations of it with success. Which was great until I showed it to my instructors and got tapped TWICE with it during a roll....they thought it was hilarious....me, not so much.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12