Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which Martial Art would suit me?

Hello people, I知 a 22-year-old noob to these forums. I'm also a bit of a noob to martial arts. I am very seriously considering taking up a martial art to improve reflexes, fitness, self-confidence and also reasonable no BS self-defence. I知 5'8, 59kg(130 pounds? I think), have shitty reflexes, so-so flexibility, and a laughable lack of strength. I started going to a gym to improve my fitness levels and increase muscles. I知 researching MA in my area at the moment, trying to gather as much information as I can.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Join us... or die
    Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other than the exercise and conditioning, what specifically do you want/expect from a martial art? Do you want to be able to spar/fight immediately? Is it something you want to do for a long time? Things like that.

Also indicate your area; you might be living next to a very good place someone can recommend.

--J.D.

Style
    undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I live in Cairns Australia, there isn't much in the way of schools(no MT or BJJ). I give you a list of what I found in cairns, Kickboxing, Judo, Akido Ki, Karate-Do, TKD, Chung Do Kwan, Kansuiryu Karate, Bushikai Karate, Boxing, ninjutsu, WingChung, Choi Kwang Do.

I dont mind sparing, actually I do want sparring, i worried about full contact though, wont i get my teeth knocked out of my head? I want to be able to hold myself in a fight(someone my size anyway), if its unavoidable.

Also yes I do want do this martial art for long time and im more interested in an external system, since im a bit sceptical about ki\qi whatever its called.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher supporting member
    Style
    n/a (ex-Karate)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroFiend
    Ok, I live in Cairns Australia, there isn't much in the way of schools(no MT or BJJ). I give you a list of what I found in cairns, Kickboxing, Judo, Akido Ki, Karate-Do, TKD, Chung Do Kwan, Kansuiryu Karate, Bushikai Karate, Boxing, ninjutsu, WingChung, Choi Kwang Do.

I dont mind sparing, actually I do want sparring, i worried about full contact though, wont i get my teeth knocked out of my head? I want to be able to hold myself in a fight(someone my size anyway), if its unavoidable.

Also yes I do want do this martial art for long time and im more interested in an external system, since im a bit sceptical about ki\qi whatever its called.
    For my part, I reckon a mix of Judo and Kickboxing or Karate (if they train well) would be the go. Have a chat to Danno - he's on the Sunshine Coast and might know of some good schools near you.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're mostly interested in self defense and physical conditioning, out of the list you gave I'd suggest judo and boxing or kickboxing. Much obviously depends on the school and the teacher, but as a general rule most of the others are cultural/movement ritual arts with elements of sport and self defence thrown in. Both judo and (kick)boxing will improve your strength, co-ordination, stamina etc. and give you extensive opportunities to test your skill in a fairly realistic way through sparring. On the other hand, you'll have to bear in mind that there's a difference between combat sports and real, no-rules combat.

Style
    undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I can only take on one martial art at this stage (finical reasons). I am aware there is a major difference between sparring and real life situations, I tend avoid situations (staying groups, stay away from dark allies, etc). From a legal point of view anyway that is the way to deal with violence is avoiding it. With a tradination MA wouldn't I get a bit of incite in another country's culture? I have always had a bit of a fascination in Japanese culture. Also i should mention i not interested in becoming a pro-mma fighter, this more like a hobby im after.
    Last edited by NecroFiend; 4/30/2006 8:39am at .

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm... while cairns is in the same state as me it's a fair trek away and i don't really know what the schools are like up there.

if you like, investigate some of the places the other people here have recommended and give us a description. we might be able to tell you if a place is worth training at.

and don't worry about the sparring. they won't throw you in the deep end staight away.

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, OK - I was trying to match your interests to the style. If you're pretty much equally interested in Japanese culture and physical conditioning, with some self defense benefits, then I'd suggest judo. Again, much would depend on the individual school.
    Last edited by DdlR; 4/30/2006 8:42am at .

Style
    undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I already have some insite into a school, karate. Had some friends that were black belts here, there's sparring here and kata.
    This is their website, i will post once get more sites once i get more info. Im guess im wondering, would this school consided a mcdojo or not?

http://www.matsumotokarate.com/

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo. Go. Now.
    More human than human is our motto.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last