Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 12:58pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    81 years since Carlos Sr. opened his first BJJ academy in 1925. Probably even 90+ years if we count the "fetal" period when Maeda arrived to Brazil and began teaching his stuff to Carlos Sr.

Amazing how time flies, no?
    ah, I guess if Enshin's 20 years old and has a book then a 90 year old style gets one too =P.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 4:48pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about Judo books? I've heard the general ones are pretty ****. But I've also seen books dedicated to a single throw (there's a book on uchi mata, and one on osoto gari, at least). Are those any good?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 4:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Royler's Submission Grappling and Eddie Bravo's book are good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 12:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always saw books as a crutch for martial artist wanna-be's, they read the book instead of taking the class and think they know the style, then when they get their asses handed to them they decide to get more books.

There's nothing wrong with reading MA books, but you can't say you know a style of martial arts simply by reading a book, then everyone would know it and classes would become pointless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 12:43am

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu-Ramma
    I always saw books as a crutch for martial artist wanna-be's, they read the book instead of taking the class and think they know the style, then when they get their asses handed to them they decide to get more books.

There's nothing wrong with reading MA books, but you can't say you know a style of martial arts simply by reading a book, then everyone would know it and classes would become pointless.
    It depends on how the book is used, and this goes for videos as well.

Let's say Johnny goes out and is in a BJJ class, but he's unsure of certain techniques. So he goes and buys Royler's Submission Grappling, tries to read on the technique, and applies some of it to what his teacher is showing him. I don't see the harm in that.

Problems develop when people try to use books to take the place of qualified instructors. When Jimmy McDojo tries to use book learned BJJ techniques with his krotty buddies, the end result will make Helio Gracie want to choke his ass.

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 9:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ultimateimports.com/
    I have the Renzo Gracie and Craig Kukuku, i like it alot ,its very informative,and the techniques are done over and over.360 degree when the technique is being done.I'd say that with a group of people you really trust, this dvd makes it easy enough to burn these techniques into your brain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 10:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yodaman
    It depends on how the book is used, and this goes for videos as well.

Let's say Johnny goes out and is in a BJJ class, but he's unsure of certain techniques. So he goes and buys Royler's Submission Grappling, tries to read on the technique, and applies some of it to what his teacher is showing him. I don't see the harm in that.

Problems develop when people try to use books to take the place of qualified instructors. When Jimmy McDojo tries to use book learned BJJ techniques with his krotty buddies, the end result will make Helio Gracie want to choke his ass.
    That's pretty much what I was getting at, I think it was late when I typed it so I didn't convey it too well, but I do think they need to be used whilst learning the style or with at least basic knowledge and familiarity with the technique.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Books are a crutch?

Hmmmmm. All across the world University libraries collectively sigh...

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva
    How about Judo books? I've heard the general ones are pretty ****. But I've also seen books dedicated to a single throw (there's a book on uchi mata, and one on osoto gari, at least). Are those any good?
    -"Best Judo" is a must have. All of the "Judo Masterclass Techniques" series which cover specific throws or techniques are good too.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The pages of my Best Judo have pretty much lost all thier binding.

For those who are slow that means that I have used and read the book so much that it is actually falling apart.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12