...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    yeah, that game gets pretty fricken hard in the later levels with all the boomerang throwing midgets and what not
    Oh, that game you're describing isn't Karateka. It's actually Kung Fu. Similiar time period but different games.

I was referencing Karateka by Jordan Mechner. There were no midgets with boomerangs but instead an endless stream of gi wearing fighters. The packaging advertised "realistic karate action" and for the most part it's true. I mean, the game is overall a pretty realistic portrayal of point fighting. There's no blocking and it's all poke and retreat and kicks are generally more utilitarian than punches because of the reach issue. It actually looks something like point fighting IRL.

If you're curious enough I recommend downloading an apple II emulator and a Karateka ROM. I love that game still.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh right, in kung fu you start off fighting streams of knife wielding arabs, not gi wearing fighters.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Wounded Ronin, are you familiar with the work of Rebecca Peters? George Soros? IANSA?

Same groups that worked so hard to disarm Australia (somewhat successfully) and Brazil (they're still bruised from that one, though) and yes, IANSA is targeting the United States.
    Whoop de do. The political outlook and attitudes towards weapons in the US are so extremely different from places like Australia that I don't feel it's a valid comparison. The fact that we're having this discussion is evidence of that; personally I haven't met a single australian who thinks that private citizens "need
    guns at all.

I just think that all you hand wringers are really over estimating the influence of these various international entities on the US.

As a UN symapthiser I should tell you that it's the other way around. The US dicks over NGOs all over the world because of influence and political power. Right now organizations that draw funding from USAid aren't allowed to talk about abortion or else they may lose funding. That's a clear cut example of US local politics messing up reproductive health services in the developing world.

So, basically, if you think the big bad UN is going to come and mess things up in the US I am mildly annoyed with you. Because *I'm* afraid of the big bad US messing with NGOs that I want to work for later. Nyah. :boxing:
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 4:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what will happen:

i. The League Of Nations - err, I mean the UN - will pass a motion saying that guns are awful and icky, and only boys like them 'cos boys are immature, and they smell too, so there.
    ii. All the countries with guns tell the UN to **** off.
    iii. Life carries on as usual.

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Hmm. Did you ever play that old computer game, Karateka? You'd better have your gi-and-mask sporting krotty fighters lined up to challenge me one by one so that I can finally confront you after 20 consecutive one on one battles.
    Watch out for the Eagle!!!!

And, if you run into the last room too quickly, JKDChick will kick you in the face.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 8:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not a comparison. You said the U.N. is not targeting American gun owners. In point of fact, they are. I merely laid out the facts which show this to be true. I can't help it if you find it annoying that I'm so often correct.

IANSA is a U.N.-run NGO. It is dedicated to eradicating private gun ownership. In the words of its head, Rebecca Peters, it believes that I and every other American shooter have to "Get a new hobby." Well, screw her. That's not up to her.

Brazil was supposed to be Peters' and IANSA's big victory; they were going for a domino theory in which they would knock over key nations into the gun-ban column and others which would otherwise have resisted would follow slavishly.

Didn't work. But that doesn't mean they don't have to take the blame for trying.

From where I sit, the U.N. is an expensive way to ensure that nothing gets done. Its "human rights" advocacy too often becomes anti-semitism or anti-Americanism. It's a little on the stupid side. It has often been said in America that we should demolish the U.N. building and put in two whorehouses and a 7-11, which would be far more useful.

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 9:58pm

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as international politics go it's just not that powerful.
    Good! Lets keep it that way.

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 4:45am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoop de do. The political outlook and attitudes towards weapons in the US are so extremely different from places like Australia that I don't feel it's a valid comparison. The fact that we're having this discussion is evidence of that; personally I haven't met a single australian who thinks that private citizens "need
    guns at all.
    That's why the UN shouldn't intervene in a country's affairs unless either requested by that nation or if the state is a threat to world peace or if a humanitarian crisis is taking place.

Oz's gun laws are an Australian issue and America's shooters are the USA's business. It does no good for an international organisation to be seen to be interfering in a sovereign nation's affairs - it alienates public opinion, which is what keeps the UN going, along with self-serving Realpolitik.

The UN has lost its way since the Cold War and seems to be picking what it sees as the easier battles instead of real issues such as the abysmal state of human rights worldwide. Why waste your time in Burma when you can get really self-righteous with people in Nebraska who own a pistol or two?

Why, for example, is the UN not moving Heaven 'n Earth for Darfur? (No oil or arms contracts or strategic positions are at stake there, naturally, but you get the point.) Because it is distracted, compromised and sorely lacking in good leadership. Whether you're pro-gun or not, I think it's safe to agree that the UN really should focus on more pressing issues.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 6:12am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the end, the United Nations is weak, and ineffectual. Their mandates are, at best, suggestions that have little to no enforcability, relying on countries to play along or relying on the Big Bad USofA to force people to play ball. For example, read through the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights and tell me how well it is being enforced across the world.

Any movement from the UN to disarm the world will end up being something of the following:

Dear United States,

Look, we don't like guns and we think you should get rid of them. You don't really have to if you don't want to, and you'll probably use this as an excuse to intervene in a third world country where you have interests and no motives as of yet, but we'd really like you to stop using guns.

Sincerely,
    United Nations

PS. Can you supply most of the funding for our gun banishing program? We're a little strapped for cash right now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 6:18am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    And not to get all tinfoil hatty here, but a lot of what they said about us either being guided or stumbling into a One World Government and the erosion of individual/local/states rights in favor of an overpowered Federal government made sense. Yeah, there were some kooky things spoken of, but you can't ignore the trends.

I'm glad Bolton is at the UN, as he's a huge critic of it. But I don't see anything being done to slow down the march towards hyper globalism in the next 100 years before **** gets ugly.

And the saddest thing about it is that only people on the fringe have noticed this trend.
    I don't believe the UN will be the precursor to the World Government. Personally, I think the European Union will solidify into something more than a confederacy (they are moving towards a federal system bit by bit, the Euro was a big step, if all of the other countries would drop their currency and play along) and then it is just a matter of getting the United States, China, or maybe Russia to bind itself to the Union before it becomes a World Union. It probably won't happen in this lifetime.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast