Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 3:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    ****, I can buy full-auto openers here in Oregon. (No concealed carry, though.)

Open carry on fixed blades is fine, AFAIK, which is how I'd wear it camping/etc.

I want to move out of Maryland :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 3:38pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    On the subject on blades in my Sig, The last on is a Kabar Hawkbill folder. That a tought little folder, but you said you were looking for a fixed blade.

Kabars make good tough knives.
    I'll be sure the check a couple out. The D2 Impact looks right up my alley.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 3:51pm

Style: wing chun, muay thai, KB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Benchmade Nimravus (I think thats how its spelled)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 5:42pm

Style: Kali, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it's not a tactical knife, but I did receive a Bushman as a birthday gift a few years back and have found it to be a sturdy knife. I use it to garden and clear growth in T3H Y@R|) (like T3H 5TR33T, except lava and broken glass tend to depreciate property value).

http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-bushman.html

If you're looking for a general utility blade more than a weapon, I'd look at that, however, I think it's a tad large on the blade to be a legal carry-on for a few states (I know it doesn't fly over here in NH). If you have your heart set on tactical blades Cold Steel also makes those and, personally considering the Bushman's performance, I would assume that they are also reliable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:43pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deer-boxer
    The Benchmade Nimravus (I think thats how its spelled)
    It's probably the number two contender, after the Gerber LMF II. :)

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kershaw Military Knife model 4351
    and the Kershaw Outcast model 1079 for any heavier work ....

I would like to hold and playwith the outcast before it gets my full vote . But the military knife I have held and played with it's a nice tight little blade .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Embarassing aspiring thugs since 1991

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Duane Dieter makes some good knives. Check him out. I know he used to live here in MD down in Easton. Last time i heard he was working with the boys down at Blackwater.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you live in California, you can carry a fixed blade, but not concealed. Not sure how a concealed carry permit affects that, but open carry is legal without the permit.
    I'm not a lawyer, so check that out before you try it.

Nimravus is fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The Bushman is awesome, but there ARE better, more ergonomic knives out there. No better deal, though. Seriously.

A simple Ka-Bar is a great knife for a good price. Cold Steel makes several good knives in the price range you mentioned, including the SRK and the Master Hunter. If you visit your local gun shows, though, you can find a nice drop point handmade by someone local in that price range. It will be fairly unique, you will have a far greater variety of both types and knives to try before you purchase, and chances are it will come with a few decorative touches you won't get on the manufactured knives.

Queen/Ontario knives makes several very good fixed blades that are priced right, too.

Look around:

http://www.gpknives.com
    http://www.1stopknifeshop.com
    http://www.newgraham.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 7:52am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    If you live in California, you can carry a fixed blade, but not concealed. Not sure how a concealed carry permit affects that, but open carry is legal without the permit.
    I'm not a lawyer, so check that out before you try it.

A CCW in CA doesn't allow you to carry a concealed fixed blade. CA is very funny about bladed weapons. You can waqlk down the street with a 14 inch Scottish dirk hanging of your kilt belt, but if a 3 inch fixed blade is covered by a sweater it's illegal. :cry:

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Always handle a knife before you buy it if possible. You may find that the "fit" isn't quite right. For those willing to spend a little more on a custom made job, Shane Sibert out of Oregon is one of the best makers out there, in my opinion. I used his blades on a recent deployment and had no issues with them at all.

www.sibertknives.com

He's a great guy to work with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 7:59am

Style: nada

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    ****, I can buy full-auto openers here in Oregon. (No concealed carry, though.)

Open carry on fixed blades is fine, AFAIK, which is how I'd wear it camping/etc.
    I worked on a farm a couple of summers ago in Northern California and made regular trips into Oregon. You live in an awesome state, I think one of two in the country where you can still legally buy switchblades.

I bought a Benchmade auto opener that I couldn't be happier with. Unfortunately, I can't resist using it as my regular carry knife, which would result in my losing it if I ever encountered any imperial entanglements, so to speak.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast