Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 2:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tae kwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido? Or t3h d34dly

Here we have someone that had legendary power that is well-documented. TMA's have yet to produce a definitively modern MMA example of fighting prowess like this. If Rocko wasnt a straightup boxer I don't think he would have had his perfect record like Gracie almost had. But no Karateka or tae kwon joe has done the equivalent in their own competitions. Boxin's one of those sports where a 19 year old can come in and separate champ from chump, and very constrained as far as rules. Rocko still whupped all challengers without being a Bob Sapp.

Rocco Francis Marchegiano
    49-0-0 43 Knockouts
    5'11" 185-188 (yup he was still a heavyweight)
    67" reach

www.rockymarciano.net
    http://tkdtutor.com/09Techniques/Han.../PunchInfo.htm

His punch was measured to have the power of an armor piercing shell. Not bullshido!

In 1963, the U.S. Testing Company was asked to measure the power of Rocky's punch. It found that Marciano's knockout punch packed more explosive energy than an armor-piercing bullet and represented as much energy as would be required to spot lift 1000 pounds one foot off the ground. Always ready to take two or three punches to land one, Marciano beat down the guards of his opponents, and then, with the shortest arms in the history of the heavyweight division, he hammered them into submission.

To put this in perspective, you'd have to be a bodybuilder to squat 1000 lbs. or more. He had 14 inch biceps.

"As his workouts intensified and progressed, both men became highly skillful in throwing fast, accurate bullet-like passes at each other - with either hand. Some claim this may have enhanced Rocky's unique skill in fending off, or "picking off," the punches thrown by some of his relatively taller and longer-armed opponents.
    This unique skill also may have also enhanced his ability to utilize split second opportunities to work his way in and deliver his notoriously quick and powerful jabs and uppercuts." In any case, everyone noticed that his arm strength and precision were remarkably effective."

Sounds like the theory behind JKD. But Rocky was a notoriously bad boxer too. Bruce Lee shoulda got in the ring more and less on film, maybe he'd have been something more than hype. Or got XPOSED for being bullshido

"On Sept. 23, 1952, Rocky fought Jersey Joe Walcott for the world heavyweight championship. Although he was knocked down in the first round - and was behind in the scoring for the first 7 rounds - he finally won in the13th by knocking out Walcott with a desperately powerful - and extremely accurate - right punch. It was a right cross that traveled only six inches, which he always referred to, thereafter, as his "Susie Q."

WITH a bigarse glove on btw. Imagine him with makiwara-trained rockbreaking knuckles.

TMA's were started with people like rocko here. Will someone ever arise from Wing Chun to prove it's t3h d34dly style its advertised to be?

Edit: I'm saying that a boxer applied many of the principles that are found in TMAs like "short power" and "intercepting fist" but never learned a single one, and was arguably not a very good boxer either, and rose to the top of a striking art with short arms. I guess this is more of an argument for TMAs because people say that striking TMAs are no good in a real fight/in the ring/on the street, but the principles are applied in professional rings and in the cage by champions all the time, the only difference being that the champ didn't follow an exactly prescribed program by some ancient dude.
    Last edited by rlee34; 5/12/2006 3:00am at .

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 2:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is exactly your point? What kind of feedback you're looking for?

You may criticize Marziano as much as you want but, the truth is he destroyed the best at his time.

They could take and deliver massive damage.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 2:40am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee34
    Here we have someone that had legendary power that is well-documented. TMA's have yet to produce a definitively modern MMA example of fighting prowess like this. If Rocko wasnt a straightup boxer I don't think he would have had his perfect record like Gracie almost had. But no Karateka or tae kwon joe has done the equivalent in their own competitions. Boxin's one of those sports where a 19 year old can come in and separate champ from chump, and very constrained as far as rules. Rocko still whupped all challengers without being a Bob Sapp.

Rocco Francis Marchegiano
    49-0-0 43 Knockouts
    5'11" 185-188 (yup he was still a heavyweight)
    67" reach

www.rockymarciano.net
    http://tkdtutor.com/09Techniques/Han.../PunchInfo.htm

His punch was measured to have the power of an armor piercing shell. Not bullshido!

In 1963, the U.S. Testing Company was asked to measure the power of Rocky's punch. It found that Marciano's knockout punch packed more explosive energy than an armor-piercing bullet and represented as much energy as would be required to spot lift 1000 pounds one foot off the ground. Always ready to take two or three punches to land one, Marciano beat down the guards of his opponents, and then, with the shortest arms in the history of the heavyweight division, he hammered them into submission.

To put this in perspective, you'd have to be a bodybuilder to squat 1000 lbs. or more.

"As his workouts intensified and progressed, both men became highly skillful in throwing fast, accurate bullet-like passes at each other - with either hand. Some claim this may have enhanced Rocky's unique skill in fending off, or "picking off," the punches thrown by some of his relatively taller and longer-armed opponents.
    This unique skill also may have also enhanced his ability to utilize split second opportunities to work his way in and deliver his notoriously quick and powerful jabs and uppercuts." In any case, everyone noticed that his arm strength and precision were remarkably effective."

Sounds like the theory behind JKD. But Rocky was a notoriously bad boxer too. Bruce Lee shoulda got in the ring more and less on film, maybe he'd have been something more than hype. Or got XPOSED for being bullshido

"On Sept. 23, 1952, Rocky fought Jersey Joe Walcott for the world heavyweight championship. Although he was knocked down in the first round - and was behind in the scoring for the first 7 rounds - he finally won in the13th by knocking out Walcott with a desperately powerful - and extremely accurate - right punch. It was a right cross that traveled only six inches, which he always referred to, thereafter, as his "Susie Q."

WITH a bigarse glove on btw. Imagine him with makiwara-trained rockbreaking knuckles.

TMA's were started with people like rocko here. Will someone ever arise from Wing Chun to prove it's t3h d34dly style its advertised to be?

Are you drunk. I mean I can't tell what you are talking about. You denigrate TMA then say how good would RM be if he had traditional Iron Palm training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 3:36pm

Style: -- Isshinryu --

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wasnt his last name Brasky

First Friend of Brasky: Bill Brasky is a son of a bitch! Do you fellas know Bill Brasky?

Second Friend of Brasky: Hell yeah, I know Bill Brasky! He's a big fella, goes about 6'4", 280. He loves his Scotch!

Third Friend of Brasky: He does! He's a hell of a salesman!

Fourth Friend of Brasky: To Bill Brasky!

Together: Bill Brasky!!

Third: Did you know Bill Brasky is the godfather of my son?

Fourth: Bill Brasky?

First: He's a big fella!

Second: Oh yeah, he's a big guy! Goes about 6'7", 385.

Third: Well, anyway.. he shows up at the church in his golf pants, caked in mud. Well, ol' Bill Brasky pushes the priest aside and says, "I'll baptize that piece of calamari!" Then he pours Scotch all over my baby son and says, "There! You're baptized!"

Fourth: And your son is blind to this day!

First: Yeah, he makes brooms somewhere in Georgia, doesn't he?

Third: I have no idea. [ pause ] To Bill Brasky!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 7:40pm

Style: Alien Cosmic Chi Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you take away the BS of CMA, you got some very powerful principles. Its too bad that in order to learn anything worthwile, you gotta learn from some old in-experienced *****. For example, my friend boxes, I do xingyi. We were hitting on a punching bag and he asked me to show him some xingyi punches. Doing them fast it didn't look like it was any different than his boxing (except for more use of vertical fist), but my punches hit harder and faster. Why? Intergration of whole body in a different way (compression-release) and "short jing." I would love to see people apply these principles, the way Bruce Lee did, in a FREE and non-restrictive sort of environment. But it seems that non of these CMA hippies are neither tough, nor have a deep understanding enough to actually put it to good use.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 1:55am

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaguaMonk
    If you take away the BS of CMA, you got some very powerful principles. Its too bad that in order to learn anything worthwile, you gotta learn from some old in-experienced *****. For example, my friend boxes, I do xingyi. We were hitting on a punching bag and he asked me to show him some xingyi punches. Doing them fast it didn't look like it was any different than his boxing (except for more use of vertical fist), but my punches hit harder and faster. Why? Intergration of whole body in a different way (compression-release) and "short jing." I would love to see people apply these principles, the way Bruce Lee did, in a FREE and non-restrictive sort of environment. But it seems that non of these CMA hippies are neither tough, nor have a deep understanding enough to actually put it to good use.
    My sifu is old, but hardly an inexperienced *****, lol.
    And I haven't been a hippy since middle school. :)

If you're learning from someone who's never fought, what can they teach you?

The biggest problem is understanding and discipline. Folks are satisfied with superficial results and don't bother delving into the real depths of their chosen art. This is nothing new, I've got 100 year old writings complaining of the exact same problem amongst old school students.

And those same writings stress what ol' Bruce was so proud of, surpassing the form and reaching the void state, basically, where technique flows naturally without thought or effort.

But it takes a **** load of drills to get to that point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 6:50am

Style: Shito-ryu/ Full-Contact

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kung_fu_zombie
    First Friend of Brasky: Bill Brasky is a son of a bitch! Do you fellas know Bill Brasky?

Second Friend of Brasky: Hell yeah, I know Bill Brasky! He's a big fella, goes about 6'4", 280. He loves his Scotch!

Third Friend of Brasky: He does! He's a hell of a salesman!

Fourth Friend of Brasky: To Bill Brasky!

Third: Did you know Bill Brasky is the godfather of my son?

Fourth: Bill Brasky?

First: He's a big fella!

Second: Oh yeah, he's a big guy! Goes about 6'7", 385.

Third: Well, anyway.. he shows up at the church in his golf pants, caked in mud. Well, ol' Bill Brasky pushes the priest aside and says, "I'll baptize that piece of calamari!" Then he pours Scotch all over my baby son and says, "There! You're baptized!"

Fourth: And your son is blind to this day!

First: Yeah, he makes brooms somewhere in Georgia, doesn't he?

Third: I have no idea. [ pause ] To Bill Brasky!

??? Isn't that a little off topic?

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 7:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a topic?

--J.D.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In 1963, the U.S. Testing Company was asked to measure the power of Rocky's punch. It found that Marciano's knockout punch packed more explosive energy than an armor-piercing bullet and represented as much energy as would be required to spot lift 1000 pounds one foot off the ground.
    This old tale is still being spread around. Yes statements were made to this effect but one as to question how much power can a human fist generate vs something moving at supersonic speed
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 9:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    But it takes a **** load of drills to get to that point.
    I'd say it takes more than drills to achieve it.

As in "drills alone are not enough".
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast