Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 6:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamma
    I have one with ivory grips that was in WWI with my grandfather, & Vietnam with my father. It is now in my nightstand next to my bed.

Which reminds me, does anyone know where I can find clips for a Remington made, yes REMINGTON made M1911?

In theory the Colt clips are SUPOSED to work, but they don't. I only have one clip, so I keep in loaded for home defense, i.e. hollow points. I would like to have another clip loaded with rat shot just in case of rattlesnake.

Remington M1911 clips anyone?

Any standard 1911 mag should work. As far as I know Remington Rand did not make any magazines, just the pistols. If you did find a original Remington mag it would more than likely be a collectors item and you would pay as much for one Remington mag as you would for several aftermarket magazines.

More than likely your barrel has not been throated and your feed ramp has not been polished. PLEASE, do not have any mods done to this pistol!!! Leave it exactly like it is, it has definately seen your grandfather and father through the night and proven itself.Keep in mind the military only shhots ball ammo through their pistols. That pretty much negates the need for ant reliabilty mods.

What I would suggest is find a company that sells GENUINE GI mags, you can usually purchase quite a few of them fairly cheaply. Take your mags and your pistol out to the range, take a sample of the ammo that you intend to trust your life with. If you have a single malfunction with one of the mags, ditch it or reserve it for range use. Keep the ones set aside that you don't have any malfunctions with and keep these for real work.

What type of ammo are you using? Speer Gold Dots have a nose profile that closely resembles a FMJ round, so they tend to feed on a reliable basis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 6:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    The 1911 is sweet.

For me the drawbacks from the ones I handle and one I shot is
    1. At the moment I really don't like the .45 caliber. Its too big of a round for me.

2. The 1911 size is too big to fit in my hand comfortably

However, at the last gun show I was at their was a 1991A1 Colt .45 that was a sweet size for my hand, Stainless Steel for $600. If I end up purchasing a .45 in the future I going to look at that again.

What type of 1911 did you shoot if you don't mind me asking?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 6:26pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the ambi safety standard on the Colt? I have a Kimber Custom II with the safety on the left side only. From what I can remember the Les Baers I shot were the same.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 6:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    Too many 1911 fans build, or buy, the Ferrari of guns when a Glock or Springfield XD is nearly as good at half the price. I think I broke my metaphor. Anyway, I would take my Glock 45 over, letís say, a Kimber in a self-defense scenario because accuracy, trigger creep and over travel, do not trump 14 round of 45apc and ease of operation.

I really agree with you, a lot of times it blows people away when I spend more time talking them, out of a 1911 than into it. Here is the reason why.

First and foremost, you have to be a firearms enthusiast to totally appreciate the 1911. You really have to enjoy maintaining a 1911 in order to keep it top working condition, ie., reliable. Most people, even if they enjoy shooting, don't enjoy cleaning and doing their own maintenance.

Secondly, say someone wants to go for the gusto and buy a top end 1911 with a budget of say $1,800.00, which isn't unrealistic. Say this person takes the gun out a couple of times a month and shows it off at the gun club while he is standing at the static firing line to try and impress everyone around him. He thinks he is good to go.

Now lets take guy #2, he buys a used Glock for $400.00, takes a quality training course for $500.00, puts $400.00 into a progressive reloader and spendsthe balance on components. After this he finds a couple of buddies to shoot with and maintains his skills with IDPA and a rigourous self study program.

Who would you rather have standing next to you when the SHTF? I guess what I am trying to say in all of this is that quite a few guys think that they can purchase skill when they buy a high grade 1911. Nothing could be further from the truth. Buy a gun that you YOU feel comfortable with, shot it OFTEN and a $400.00 Glock will see you a lot further than any $2,000.00 1911.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 6:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider
    Is the ambi safety standard on the Colt? I have a Kimber Custom II with the safety on the left side only. From what I can remember the Les Baers I shot were the same.

No, Colts are standard side only. They are an option with Baer. Personally, unless you are left handed I would stay with a standard safety, even then you can become fairly proficient at switching your thumb over. I had a Sergeant that had almost twenty years behind a 1911 that used that method and could draw and fire in less time than a lot of people that I saw.

The only reason I fit an Ambi safety on my Colt is just to see if I could do it. I am really thinking about going to a standard thumb safety on it.

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 9:05pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an ambi safety on mine, the part only cost $20-30 not counting instillation.

The price seems to have gone up, but Wilson is a good name.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...ED+AMBI+SAFETY

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 9:07pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason for an ambi safety of course is being a lefty. If you are, I cannot recommend an ambi safety highly enough.

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 9:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Bullshido's Ninja

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert McLeod
    What type of 1911 did you shoot if you don't mind me asking?

Almost Postive it was an A1. (Colt 1911A1). My main turning off point was the sheer size.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 11:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's definitely a shits and giggles gun. I get pretty smitten when I fire one of those bad boys. That and a .38. Don't like Magnums much. In this modern age, they are not too good unless you're good at head shots. That last part came from a WWII vet.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 8:33am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert McLeod
    I really agree with you, a lot of times it blows people away when I spend more time talking them, out of a 1911 than into it. Here is the reason why.

First and foremost, you have to be a firearms enthusiast to totally appreciate the 1911. You really have to enjoy maintaining a 1911 in order to keep it top working condition, ie., reliable. Most people, even if they enjoy shooting, don't enjoy cleaning and doing their own maintenance.

Secondly, say someone wants to go for the gusto and buy a top end 1911 with a budget of say $1,800.00, which isn't unrealistic. Say this person takes the gun out a couple of times a month and shows it off at the gun club while he is standing at the static firing line to try and impress everyone around him. He thinks he is good to go.

Now lets take guy #2, he buys a used Glock for $400.00, takes a quality training course for $500.00, puts $400.00 into a progressive reloader and spendsthe balance on components. After this he finds a couple of buddies to shoot with and maintains his skills with IDPA and a rigourous self study program.

Who would you rather have standing next to you when the SHTF? I guess what I am trying to say in all of this is that quite a few guys think that they can purchase skill when they buy a high grade 1911. Nothing could be further from the truth. Buy a gun that you YOU feel comfortable with, shot it OFTEN and a $400.00 Glock will see you a lot further than any $2,000.00 1911.
    Awesome post! Welcome aboard!!! :)

I actually went from my Ed Brown 1911 to GLOCK 30 in the middle of a tactical pistol course because I could point and shoot with my GLOCK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast