Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 8:20pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Snapp,
    Robbie's kicks look like TKD to me, your right he has heavy hands - and like any smart fighter he cross-trains extensively. TKD happens to be where he started competing. Probably gave him the confidence to move on and compete in MMA.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stephan Bonnar
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 5/08/2006 8:37pm at .

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 9:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA,Thai Boxing,Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Isn't the current TKD savior that people are flocking to in MMA that amateur Juras guy in Europe? People keep pointing to him and going "look TKD works!" cause he's got a highlight on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7MG...ae%20Kwon%20Do

Some people can make things work.

But....are we talking RING fighting or REAL fighting? Not even Jujitsu, Judo, or MMA matches are "real" fighting. Some arts just better emulate a facet of fighting.

People pick on TKD. Often, just because it's been mainstreamed and stripped malled. TKD is not a total loss, as long as you have a sense of what works and have the ability to correctly apply what you know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 9:13pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one kicks intrueders off horses anymore, why have a constant linear when we know that the laws of vibrational nature work in accordance to circular ranges of motion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 9:24pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Hi Snapp,
    Robbie's kicks look like TKD to me, your right he has heavy hands - and like any smart fighter he cross-trains extensively. TKD happens to be where he started competing. Probably gave him the confidence to move on and compete in MMA.
    I agree.

That said, its hard to draw a line in these type of situations. I will offer two examples:

Georges St.Pierre, he lists his style as BJJ. I can see the BJJ in what he does, he has excellent top control. But hes also amazing at every other aspect of the game. He has excellent striking and takedowns. To the average viewer he is a fighter, a well rounded fighter, but to the untrained eye a BJJ fighter he is not.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria is another BJJ fighter. He lists BJJ as his style. He is also amazing at every other aspect of the game. He has excellent boxing and takedowns. But Nog, IS a BJJ fighter, he looks like a BJJ fighter and he acts like a BJJ fighter. Hes out there to take you down and submit you, thats his game, thats what he wants to do. He fights with BJJ and its obvious.

Now I know this is all very semantical (is that even a word?), but to me Nog is a BJJ fighter. St.Pierre is a fighter, and he does BJJ.

So following that logic, to be a TKD fighter. Your game would have to be to get out there and take the guy out with TKD style kicks. Maybe you throw punches and maybe you know how to grapple. But to give credit to TKD you'd have to be using TKD predominantly.

Your style is how you fight, not what you know. At least thats my opinion in this cross training world of mma.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 9:26pm

Style: judo, wrestling, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ITAL
    No one kicks intrueders off horses anymore, why have a constant linear when we know that the laws of vibrational nature work in accordance to circular ranges of motion.
    Are you sure you've never been kicked off a horse?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 9:27pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith
    Having a noteworthy fighter kick the crap out of serveral established bad-asses would help I think.
    Nah, that could be a fluke. Having a bunch of fighters, not necessarily top level, would be a lot better. Even if it wasn't the #1 style (which it isn't), showing that practitioners can hold their own in smaller circuits would be pretty good.

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 9:42pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ITAL
    nobody ever kicked intruders off horses.

no matter what your inner TKD demons told you.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 9:50pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadly
    nobody ever kicked intruders off horses.

no matter what your inner TKD demons told you.
    I am starting to think that the TKD flying side kick is actually a hidden kata movement for a flying arm-bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapp
    but to me Nog is a BJJ fighter. St.Pierre is a fighter, and he does BJJ
    I get what you are saying, though we should note that GSP's stand up looks like Kyokoshinkai to me - and he does have a BB in that.

The one advantage a TKD fighter has over Aikido is that at the very least he has gone to competitions where he has faced stress.

That being said Olympic TKD with the hands down and the bouncing is just plain stupid.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 10:10pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    I get what you are saying, though we should note that GSP's stand up looks like Kyokoshinkai to me - and he does have a BB in that.
    I use St.Pierre as an example because he is listed as a BJJ Figter.

I wasnt aware of his KK BB, but he certainly has excellent wrestling and Im sure he's done his share of Muay Thai as well. He is a great example of what I was talking about.

Where do you give credit when they all are playing a part?

To me, as I said, your style is how you fight not what you know.
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast