Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 12:45am

Style: ...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

muay thai vs. kickboxing

Hello.

Back when I was in elementary school, my teacher told me that I ask too many stupid questions. Over the course of my schooling... I tried to ask smarter and smarter questions, but unfortunately to no avail. So... here's one of my many stupid question:

What is the difference between muay thai vs. kickboxing? More specifically, how do muay thai and kickboxing classes differ? Am i better off taking one class over the other if my concern is to primarily get in shape and protect my skinny ass?

The main reason why I'm asking this is because the gym that I recently joined offers both classes. Whereas kickboxing classes are offered throughout much of the day, unfortunately muay thai classes are only offered within a narrow frame of window every other day.

My initial plan was to do kickboxing for maybe a month or two... get my conditioning, flexibility, and all that other wonderful stuff improved before I try my luck at some BJJ classes, but am I better off taking muay thai classes instead?

Ahhhh.... HELP PLEASE!

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 12:55am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    such a nice informal font...

This is a thread for newbietown.

Does the same instructor teach both classes? if so then the main outward differences is that with MT elbows, knees and a complete clinching game are added.

You probably won't do alot of that in your first month of muay thai but at this point I would check out both classes and see which one you like better.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 1:07am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At almost every gym I've seen that offers kickboxing classes among other martial arts classes, the kickboxing is a fun excuse for women to burn calories. I have yet to see a place that offers real kickboxing for the purpose of learning to fight using kickboxing techniques. I'd say you're almost guaranteed that the MT class is not for the sake of burning calories, and if like you said you're skinny, I wouldn't care much about that benefit anyway, so chances are you'll be a lot happier with the MT class.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 4:37pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KuNg FooL
    At almost every gym I've seen that offers kickboxing classes among other martial arts classes, the kickboxing is a fun excuse for women to burn calories. I have yet to see a place that offers real kickboxing for the purpose of learning to fight using kickboxing techniques. I'd say you're almost guaranteed that the MT class is not for the sake of burning calories, and if like you said you're skinny, I wouldn't care much about that benefit anyway, so chances are you'll be a lot happier with the MT class.
    Both Muay Thai and Kickboxing have their embarassing cardio counter-parts, rest assured.

dandoe123: I don't really see anyone being able to answer your question concretely. From what I've gathered over the years you can't really say a school does X while another does Y. The martial arts is so interconnected between methods (striking, grappling, etc.) the line between styles is more often than not blurred.

You can't even say for sure exactly how the practitioners from one SCHOOL throw a round house due to small discrepancies let alone across other schools that study the same style. So knowing this how could anyone truthfully believe themselves when they say style X does things one way while style Y does things another?

My advice is for you to just join a club that you think is best. Of course to be able to tell this you must be better educated than your average soccer mom, but you get my drift.
    Last edited by HearWa; 5/08/2006 4:40pm at .

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 7:32am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The two arts are quite different in their techniques. Both contain Western Boxing punches but MT has an arsenal of elbows and knees that KB does not. MT fighters are allowed to kick to the leg and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that in KB fights, you have to throw a certain amount of kicks per round.

As the others have said, try them both and see which you prefer :)

STOP POSTING!

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 7:36am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can almost guarantee you that the muay thai will be more beneficial than the kickboxing.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say that but people would just think I was bias ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 8:22am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as someone who has done kickboxing, I say go with the MT. I am also switching to it. Both are useful, but the Muay Thai is just technique and time tested better.

All Out of Bubblegum

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 8:29am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    watch both classes. Then try both classes. Go to the class that trains and fights the hardest.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Welterweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 8:50am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandoe123

My initial plan was to do kickboxing for maybe a month or two... get my conditioning, flexibility, and all that other wonderful stuff improved before I try my luck at some BJJ classes, but am I better off taking muay thai classes instead?
    If BJJ is what you're really gunning for, why not just begin that?

IME, the conditioning for striking arts is quite different than the core work you do for BJJ or other grappling arts. It's all good, and it's certainly best to have all types of conditioning. But using MT to "ramp up" to BJJ seems a bit . . . I dunno.

Both are killer workouts, but apart from overall fitness and general muscle tone, I don't see the conditioning from one translating over to the other. It didn't for me; grappling has been kicking my aging ass despite a pretty good fitness base from striking. But that's just MY aging ass . . .

That said -- sure, check out both types of striking classes. But the fact that there are many more KB classes suggests that they'll be more in a "cardio" vein.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast