Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 10:28pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

May 20th Dragon Lair tourny

Anyone coming to this? http://www.dragonlairbjj.com/Tournament.htm

This'll be my first tournament, a few people from my school will be coming to this too. Apparently J-Lau will be fighting Drew Fickett here as well? Can anyone (particularly J-Lau) confirm this?

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 11:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    Anyone coming to this? http://www.dragonlairbjj.com/Tournament.htm

This'll be my first tournament, a few people from my school will be coming to this too. Apparently J-Lau will be fighting Drew Fickett here as well? Can anyone (particularly J-Lau) confirm this?
    Confirmed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 2:58pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighting as in BJJ or MMA? The website doesn't really specify.

In either case best of luck, if you beat Fickett under MMA rules I think you have a great shot at the UFC if you want it.

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 4:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its grappling. Drew would eat me alive in MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 1:40am

Style: SubG, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe, who did you grapple at the "NeoBlood" thing? Also, me and fellow BSer A.D.D were in the front row. Did you stay to watch all the fights?

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 9:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grappled against Brian McLaughlin. Really good grappler... has a sick guard. I stayed to watch... but had to go and get my guy ready in the back, so I was there for a bit. After Jack won, we came out to watch the last fight.

What did you think of the show?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 4:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The show was horribly organized, including the delay of the advertised hot body contest. I'm not really complaining, because I got there at 6, so I would have missed it probably, but I take it most fans don't like to wait 3 hours for **** to happen. I met Rampage and he's a funny guy. I sat closest to him when he was commentating the fights. For your match, he said "I bet you the the guy in the black shorts is going to win" and someone shouted "I bet you the white guy's gonna win." I shot the **** with Rampage a little, he's a funny guy. I guess he was making the appearance as a favor for a friend. During your match, it looked like you were in danger of a omoplata or gogoplata for a while, but eventually you freed yourself and did a leg submission. I couldn't really see, since the ring was elevated and I was first row and you guys were on the ground.

James McNally and Leon Aldrich are both from my gym so that's the main reason why I came. James did great, he didn't give Rick Fortin a chance to do anything. Leon's fight was a great fight, but unfortunately he lost by decision. I think it should have been a draw, forcing a 3rd round, since Earl Bauer didn't really do anything after Judo throwing Leon to the ground. When they were on their feet, Leon was just rocking him constantly. I think he forgot to aim for the jaw or something.

I didn't really like the crowd, they were pretty uneducated in the ways of MMA. Granted, I forgive them for not being excited about a grappling match, they came to watch some fights, if they wanted to see grappling they'd go to ummm Dragon's Lair or a wrestling meet. No offense to you, of course, but grappling matches weren't even advertised, but the promoter had lost so many fights. Speaking of which, wasn't your brother supposed to fight? Anyways, those bodybuilders in the crown didn't seem none to bright, either.

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar
    The show was horribly organized, including the delay of the advertised hot body contest. I'm not really complaining, because I got there at 6, so I would have missed it probably, but I take it most fans don't like to wait 3 hours for **** to happen. I met Rampage and he's a funny guy. I sat closest to him when he was commentating the fights. For your match, he said "I bet you the the guy in the black shorts is going to win" and someone shouted "I bet you the white guy's gonna win." I shot the **** with Rampage a little, he's a funny guy. I guess he was making the appearance as a favor for a friend. During your match, it looked like you were in danger of a omoplata or gogoplata for a while, but eventually you freed yourself and did a leg submission. I couldn't really see, since the ring was elevated and I was first row and you guys were on the ground.

James McNally and Leon Aldrich are both from my gym so that's the main reason why I came. James did great, he didn't give Rick Fortin a chance to do anything. Leon's fight was a great fight, but unfortunately he lost by decision. I think it should have been a draw, forcing a 3rd round, since Earl Bauer didn't really do anything after Judo throwing Leon to the ground. When they were on their feet, Leon was just rocking him constantly. I think he forgot to aim for the jaw or something.

I didn't really like the crowd, they were pretty uneducated in the ways of MMA. Granted, I forgive them for not being excited about a grappling match, they came to watch some fights, if they wanted to see grappling they'd go to ummm Dragon's Lair or a wrestling meet. No offense to you, of course, but grappling matches weren't even advertised, but the promoter had lost so many fights. Speaking of which, wasn't your brother supposed to fight? Anyways, those bodybuilders in the crown didn't seem none to bright, either.

Omoplata had me stuck but not really choking... got my face mashed in a little bit though.

Show was very disorganized... including them trying to rush the fighters for the first fight out before even having a rules meeting. Thats why the grappling match went first. I agree that people wanted to see fights and not grappling... but on Thursday morning they had 5 fights and needed something.

My brother was supposed to fight, but something happenned with the opponent. I forget what it was now, but there was something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 2:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Lau
    Omoplata had me stuck but not really choking... got my face mashed in a little bit though.

Show was very disorganized... including them trying to rush the fighters for the first fight out before even having a rules meeting. Thats why the grappling match went first. I agree that people wanted to see fights and not grappling... but on Thursday morning they had 5 fights and needed something.

My brother was supposed to fight, but something happenned with the opponent. I forget what it was now, but there was something.
    Yea, Fred George came by our gym on Thursday night and asked anyone if they wanted a fight. They offered a grappling match to John Bachman (sp?), but on the day of the event they said they weren't going to do it. So needless to say, he was kind of pissed. Charlie Bishop from our gym was originally supposed to fight Jed Tinlin, but he was kind of afraid of his heavy hands, so he didn't take the fight. Of course, these "heavy hands" have the accuracy of an epileptic playing darts, so Charlie could have easily took him to the ground and dispatched of him. It was pretty funny how the heavyweights broke the turnbuckle and the ref was pissed.

I take it Jack from your gym is more of a grappler than anything else. But that's okay, it seems like his opponent was too. It basically turned into a grappling match.

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 11:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lied... not doing it now. I wish I had a good story about how Fickett and I fought each other or something... but in reality, I hurt my knee at his seminar. MCL = not so good. So I think my training for the next 2 months will be VERY limited. Sucks a lot.

I will be there though... my team is coming to whoop some ass.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast