Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 5:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bas Rutten uses open hand striking?

I was watching a Bas Rutten highlight clip and I noticed that many of his strikes to the head and face are with open hands. It seems unlikely to be an accident, as he does it multiple times and he is successful at knocking people out with them. Is this a trademark of his? Is it because the Pankrase rules don't use gloves and hand injury is possible? I guess I never really thought open hand strikes (except maybe the straight palm cross) had knockout power.

Here's the video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4&q=bas+rutten

Oh, and first post :binkybaby

Be gentle, please :eatbaby:

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man, Bas is awesome.

At about 2:20 in the clip, he does a round kicks that misses, but still nails the guy with a backfist.

Sweet!
    :new_all_c

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 5:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychosisGnome
    I was watching a Bas Rutten highlight clip and I noticed that many of his strikes to the head and face are with open hands. It seems unlikely to be an accident, as he does it multiple times and he is successful at knocking people out with them. Is this a trademark of his? Is it because the Pankrase rules don't use gloves and hand injury is possible?
    It's because Pancrase rules at the time didn't allow closed fist strikes to the head.

I will not mock you for not knowing this, because your first post concerned Bas. This is an automatic internet win.

Dance El Guapo, dance!
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 5/07/2006 6:03pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how many times can this post be made before it in fact BECOMES the internet

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 5:33am

Style: WT/Xin Yi Liu He Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's pretty logical really. Ofcourse it hasn't been put through the thorough scientific testing grounds of the UFC, just like machettes that have been known to lose in public to low thai kicks but never accepted an official challenge. We'll never know if knives work until they are filmed and broadcasted over the internet or put in the UFC. 10 000 years of "alleged" use doesn't count.

You can put a lot more force into a palm-strike than a closed punch without taking any damage to your hand. The bones in one's hand, when compared to the bones in the head, are like those of a chicken or a fish. Ofcourse, closed hand punches usually do the same job just as well if you don't aim at the hardest areas, and usually you'd be walking around with a pair of thick gloves anyway so that's not really a problem.
    Last edited by TheOtherChris; 5/08/2006 5:39am at .

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 5:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherChris
    It's pretty logical really. Ofcourse it hasn't been put through the thorough scientific testing grounds of the UFC, just like machettes that have been known to lose in public to low thai kicks but never accepted an official challenge. We'll never know if knives work until they are filmed and broadcasted over the internet or put in the UFC. 10 000 years of "alleged" use doesn't count.

You can put a lot more force into a palm-strike than a closed punch without taking any damage to your hand. The bones in one's hand, when compared to the bones in the head, are like those of a chicken or a fish. Ofcourse, closed hand punches usually do the same job just as well if you don't aim at the hardest areas, and usually you'd be walking around with a pair of thick gloves anyway so that's not really a problem.
    wc;dr

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 7:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

got life?

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 7:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    wc;dr
    :headbang:
    Fucking brilliant
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 7:52am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is the old argument that open hand strikes are safer in the str33t. Plus they can be made very efficient. On the other hand, it's Bas doing those slaps from hell. Heh not everyone is 'El Guapo'!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

software engineer

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 8:04am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ofcourse it hasn't been put through the thorough scientific testing grounds of the UFC,
    you can hit open palm in the UFC. It's just not done because you can wear gloves.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast