Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 9:51pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kung Fu San Soo

Greetings, I am a new user/poster to this site. I figured I'd "jump right in" and see how I do with all of you veteran posters. I've been looking through your site for about a week and a half, reading threads here and there. I like some of the information given on this site and I feel that there are enough competent users here to join and ask some questions and probably get some decent advice. So anyways, here is my question.

What are your thoughts on Kung Fu San Soo? ( Yes, that is my username abbreviated, I expect to get flamed. )

Considering I have read quite a few threads I expect to get flamed, but I am curious if anyone has some serious advice on this. I did infact do a search for "Kung Fu San Soo" and "San Soo" both in 'Search Titles Only" along with 'Search Entire Posts', I found nothing. Although I did do a search for "SCARS" and found two pages of lenthgy threads.. I did notice "san soo" was in the subject of MANY threads..Maybe I searched wrong? If infact I did, I expect to be flamed for that also. I did read as much as I could of that, but most of it was on the topic of SCARS(the title of the thread, go figure.. ;p. )

If you are wondering WHY I am asking *your* thoughts on Kung Fu San Soo and how it may help me, the reason is.. well this is bullshido, and as far as I know you guys don't stand for relying on some guy's stories, you go find out for yourself. Well, just incase I am blinded by the "flashy moves" or something of that nature I figured I'd go get some outside help. As far as my backround goes in Martial Arts it is little to none. The only thing I have studied is a brief experience from a black belt( I believe with 2 degrees at the time) in Kung Fu San Soo.
    Personally, I do not count that as anything. It lasted maybe, 4 weeks, 2 days out the week..so, not much if anything. I also had the experience of going
    to the studio this particular black belt studies at to check out black belt night and meet his instructor(http://www.kungfuriverside.com/, Kurt being his instructor). Anyways, as far as I know/knew.. it was an effective art..brutal, yet effective. Mind you I was never given the impression nor did anyone tell me it was a perfect fighting style, just effective. Considering it is NOT for sport, I could not rely on watching video footage of San Soo in action, be it on Pride, UFC, or even a home video of a NHB competetion of some sort. So, all I knew at the time is that it was what I was told it was.. and considering I was the young ignorant fool I'm sure I still potray..I have only you guys to rely on. So if you would, please tell me your thoughts as (atleast the ones who have proven it, via video or pictures) experienced Martial Artists, Fighters, etc..

Also as I have noticed alot of you stress( as my brief instructor did too) that groundwork is a must for self defense. Most fights DO go to the ground sooner or later, so it is very important. If Kung Fu San Soo is what it seems, would you maybe advise in learning both the Kung Fu and Jui Jitsu as a combo for a rounded martial artist/fighter, are there better combos, or is it much more complex than that..Also I believe Dave Hopkin's(http://www.davehopkinskungfu.com/index2.html) has done this.. incorporating kung fu with jui jitsu, maybe I should go train with him or maybe learning both from seperate instructors would be better? Who knows, give me your info and thank you.

-Dave

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 9:58pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't san soo full contact Chinese kickboxing? If so, then I see no reason why it shouldn't be an OK art to train in. It's hard to succeed in a full-contact competition without getting proper training.
    --
    L.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 10:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San Soo is not San Shou.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 2:51am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    Isn't san soo full contact Chinese kickboxing? If so, then I see no reason why it shouldn't be an OK art to train in. It's hard to succeed in a full-contact competition without getting proper training.
    No, that's San Shou

This happens every time someone starts a thread on this, and it always gets the first page off to a nice confusing start.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

software engineer

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 3:14am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave, I strongly advise you to take San Shou instead, if you can find it. You seem to be well-intentioned but very naive. San Shou is an art whose competition rules emphasize striking and throws, so it doesn't address everything. But it's free of the bullcrap that attends KF San Soo.

lollerz irony: "history of kung fu san soo"
    http://www.kungfuriverside.com/Kung%...0San%20Soo.htm
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 10:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the advice meng_mao I will indeed check out San Shou. As far as the kungfuriverside's history page goes, that's weird.. I just checked it out last night when I started thread. Try these other websites..http://www.davehopkinskungfu.com/index2.html,
    http://www.kungfusansoo.com/..and I'm sure you could find a couple more on google. Thanks again, I will do indeed check out San Shou and see what it is all about.
    -Dave

software engineer

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have read San Soo's history from other places, and frankly, it sounds made up. Of course, a lot of Chinese MA have fairly spotty histories. It's up to you to decide whether you are ok with the true effectiveness of what you're training in, namely through hard training and sparring, and maybe entering some contests.

If you're one of those weirdoes who's not into MA for the fighting, then I guess as long as you're not sucked into a cult, then you can take any ol MA.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 10:45am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Chinese love to make up stories about how such and such originated. Sometimes it seems more like homage to their elders than intentional misrepresentation, but to a cracker like me, it seems silly.

I'm more concerned about how it works. Any vids?

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 10:50am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I will never understand about Kung Fu San Soo is the use of Karate gi and belts.

What the hell? If its Kung Fu, why are they dressed like karate-ka or Kempoists?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 12:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually meng_mao I would indeed like to learn MA for the fighting. I've always liked fighting, but like I said the only thing offered was Kung Fu San Soo.
    This is infact why I am asking the opinions I've seen expressed on this board.

Quikfeet509, You do make a good point and may be right. Although the techniques seem to be effective I suppose the training is indeed what you would have to work on.As far as videos go, the only ones I know of are that of training videos you would have to buy(or maybe download)..which are located on Dave Hopkin's website I believe. I'm sure you could find something doing a search in google. I also wouldn't doubt if other practioners made videos of their own.

You're right Satori, why DO they where gi's? No idea. Although in the history section it says,"In December of 1962 Jimmy officially held the grand opening for his martial arts studio in the Midway Shopping Center in El Monte, CA. In the early years he called it “Karate-Kung Fu” because no one knew what kung fu was at that time."

I do see the suspicion in all of this but if anyone is willing to pursue this, maybe someone more appropriate for this kind of thing. It does state,

"One of these young monks, named Leoung Kick, an orphan who lived in the monastery since the age of 10, (Jimmy H. Woo’s Great, Great, Great Grandfather) decided to leave the monastery when he was approximately 30 years old. He took with him two of the Buddhist training texts which probably date back to the 1500’s during the Ming Dynasty. These books have remained within the Chin family, where the techniques and forms were taught and passed down from generation to generation. All of the techniques and forms taught to and by Jimmy came from these two manuals."

Thanks again,
    -Dave

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast