Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 8:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How does one invent a new style of M.A.

How does one INVENT a new style of M.A.?
    Can it be done... after so many are already out there.

A student of my old teacher did this, after he left my teacher )to take over a dojo within the sytem of my teachers style), he left our org. about 2 years later, due to $$$. (WHATS NEW)

The student then went out on his own to study a few different systems {as well as more Kenpo} and then he mix them together as a system. Is this the way... the time he has been working on this was about 7 year after he left his home dojo he was a 3rd dan in 1999. How does one do it the right way ........is his it.

Thanks for your time!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 8:43pm

Style: Karate, Judo, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By fighting transients, apparently.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34038

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 8:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One doesn't.

Or else one slaps a bunch of already circulating stuff together and gives it a name.
    And a history that sounds good.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 9:09pm

Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. Just playing devils advocate for the sake of discussion here.

So whats the difference between someone in 2006 taking a bunch of stuff thats already out there and and putting their own twist on it and calling it their own and some guy in 1920 in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, diong the same thing?

Isn't that how all martial arts styles were formed in the first place? Otherwise we'd all be studying the same thing (whatever your take on the origin of martial arts.)

Is it really that implausible that the techniques and philosophies that were developed by the "old masters" can't be improved with today's knowledge?

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 11:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suggest posting rambling and nearly-incoherent rants on the internet.

Whoa, you're way ahead of me!

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 11:21pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are idiots like these responsible for creating the lineage wars?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 12:38am

Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats all you got?

Funny how the word "idiots" is thrown around by sombody from a "mixed" style in a discussion about lineage.

C'mon, you're better than that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 12:56am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Ed Parker is to be believed you don't create a new martial art, Jesus H. Christ does through you. This assumes that you too are mormon and can thus receive the guidance of Jesus as you create your martial art.

You should pray for "inspiration" and wait for "intelligence to flow through you"-- then you'll know that the Almighty is telling you the true secrets of combat.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    6/04/2006 1:34pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should go and meditate on a mountain for a year. I have heard that this helps.

That being said, there are several styles being created right now that are being designed to fight MMA. Each have slightly differing methods of producing a winning fighter. These styles are tending to call themselves "Teams" instead of Ryuha. So we have Team Millitech, Team Punishment, Brazilian Top Team, Team Quest, etc, etc.

These are new styles of fighting that have come about in the last decade and are proving their effectiveness.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2006 2:25pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Realistically people who do this sort of thing with some sense of authority usually show a pattern in what they do

1) Master one and preferably more established martial arts systems and be recognized as having done so by authorized teachers of those systems. If you're studying modern Japanese martial arts this usually means have a 5th Dan or above. If you're studying Koryu forms it means Menkyo Kaiden. For Chinese systems there is their own method of certification for teachers and master teachers, as to other cultures, though I'm less familar with these systems.

2) After mastering other systems try to re-evaluate everything that you've learned through a particular lens. Kano used physical efficentcy and safety of practice as the lens for judging the jujutsu forms he mastered to codify Judo. Usheuba used a lense towards non-violent/minimally destructive methods of countering. Helio Gracie used leverage methods requiring minimal strength to produce his family fomr of Jiu-jiutsu. Find what it is that you think needs to be emphasised, how you're capable of doing this and then set out to see if your lens works at making training both better and distinct from what you yourse;f learned.

3) Take what you've (re)made and then present it to those who studied your previous styles and to the world. This may mean pitting your students against their students, your self against your old masters, being willing to take any challenge that comes to you, training people for competition, etc.

4) If you stand the tst of challenge, have a coherent set of reasons for why you've made the changes you have and added what you have and can show previous mastery you're well on your way towards effectively making a new martial arts lineage.

Or you can skip all this hard work, but a red and white belt from some online dealer, write up a bunch of diplomas for yourself and just proclaim yourself whatever you feell ike. Then find other people who are in the same racket and exchange certifications between yourselves to build a big resume and start holding seminars at each other's schools. Make sure you tell your students how deadly what you've made really is and how they should never, ever accept any challenges form anyone because you don't want to be responsible for them hurting someone, etc.

A comb-over, mullet or any otherwise unfortunately choice of hair style helps a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast