Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Noone has to reply to this, but I just have to share this. .

My God- I just went to my first BJJ class in 3 years. I couldn't find any schools in Hamburg until now and have been taking WT. We have two classes a week, one with gi and one without. When I was rolling I kept thinking about that excellent article concerning "aliveness" that someone posted and I truly felt "alive". Damn it felt good to do this again! I love having an art where I can just ask someone and they will explain how it works without regard to your rank or how many tests you passed.

When I was his student, Carlos Machado would walk around in class and0 give you a belt if he felt you deserved it. You got out of it directly what you put into it.

No secrets techniques that only a Grandmaster Sifu could possibly understand. Now I don't know what to do about my WT school. . . I still have about six months left on my contract. . .

Sifu Emin - Did you see that?
    Me - (gasping) No, but I can't breathe yet.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 4:07pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    K, I won't respond.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2003 4:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MrMcFu,
    do you think WT is lacking in aliveness? I think so. I've been training in it for over 1.5 years now. Fortunately I don't have a contract though.

***ned

Posted On:
    5/14/2003 4:24am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    w0rd.

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Posted On:
    5/14/2003 4:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    British Ninja,
    When I first read that article, I was like, "Sure my WT is like that". But damn . . . when I got on that mat and actually rolled against someone BJJ style, I realized learning process of WT just may not be for me . . . It made me feel a bit sad about my WT school. I like the people there, and the Sifu is a great guy (we even get to wrestle). Although I have learned some great things from this school, such as centerline theory, forward pressure and being "loose", maybe I just don't have the patience required for a style like that.
    As you can see, I am having some doubts. This new place I found also teaches JKD as well. Maybe that would substitute for my WT . . . I will post a new thread too and see if anyone knows of the JKD intstructors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2003 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained WT for about 3 years, though none of the TMAers will believe me as I don't rate it. I train Vale Tudo/Shootfighting now.
    When I used to do WT I was totally convinced of it's effectiveness, I used to argue for WT on Sherdog, and on this forum my name used to be WT_Phil. Gradually I decided that I wanted to train MMA and see what all the fuss is about. Since then I haven't looked back, once you realise what aliveness is, you don't look back.
    I think WT is extremely lacking in aliveness; look at the rigid footwork and trapping drills, the emphasis on positions.
    I didn't like leaving WT either, I liked the Sifu who taught me, and the people I trained with. After I started MMA I lost faith in it.

As for starting JKD, if I were you I'd just try to cross train in MT/Vale Tudo/Shootfighting - something so you can cover all ranges. It's not that I don't rate JKD; it just seems to be a bit hit and miss - read the article on aliveness again, Matt Thornton says that a lot of JKD people don't understand aliveness, I posted that article btw :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2003 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm.... I took wing chun for about 2yrs... but stopped since I moved to working nights. When I get switched back to days I'll consider MMA. I'm starting to have doubts with WC also.

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 12:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA Phil,
    Yeah I took that into consideration. The thing I have going for me is that the BJJ teacher is also the JKD teacher at this gym. I can only afford one, but I get unlimited classes in everything at the gym once I sign up. If anyone is intrested or would like to make some recommendations, here is the schedule.

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de/training/training.htm

Shooto on Sundays is BJJ without a Gi. Please note, Ju-Jutsu as listed on there is this kinda weird instutionalized thing they have here in europe- it is so popluar it is almost McDojoed. Even though I wouldn't take it, I still think these guys teach it well.

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 4:40pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do what you feel is good for you.....

cross train all you want

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido