Our Sponsors:

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 2:33pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How would he meet the CIA agents he supposedly trains? Its not like the US has a large spook population in Canada.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 3:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or do they?!?!?!?!?!?!?

dun dun duhhhhhhh

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 8:33pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Claus
    How would he meet the CIA agents he supposedly trains? Its not like the US has a large spook population in Canada.

As London was and is a major center for the cold war, it is obvious that the CIA would seek out highly skilled proffessional, who disguise themselves as mailman during the day, to learn the deadly secrets of pressure points and obtaining ranking in multiple arts in as ingle test.

No wait. That's London England that was a major center during the cold war. London Ontario is better known for drunken students from Western. I think you can see why I got them mixed up.

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 8:37pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How far is it from the locations of any American embassies or consulates? In a place like Canada the CIA might have a few officers under diplomatic cover at such offices but I doubt they would drive hours for a MA class.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 8:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless there's a CIA agent trying to get some action from drunken University students then no there' nothing in London

The closest consulate would be in Toronto

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 11:24pm

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I came across this thread after seeing the recent offshoot that got moved to YMAS. Hi I bumped a MABS thread with the Street vs Sport argument - No BS MMA and Martial Arts My apologies ahead of time if I'm being a tard by bumping this, but I thought this would be more relevant to this thread.

I worked with one of the Black Arts top students, James Kolar, who is listed as an 8th degree grandmaster in their system here http://www.blackartssociety.com/members.htm this summer during training with the CF Army Reserve. Kolar is legitimately a Warrant Officer, and can truthfully claim to have trained military personnel, but the actual quality of what he was teaching did not impress me. Awkward body mechanics, BS claims, and general unsuitability for the mission we were supposed to be training for were the order of the day.

Highlights:

Asking during our first session if anyone had any previous MA experience. Myself and a few other people put up their hands. When he asked me specifically what I had trained in, I stated "Mostly Karate, some Kickboxing and Jiu-Jitsu". He replied that "those are all fine, but they are sports, this is the real d3adly that I will be teaching you." And proceeded to teach a variation of the same wax-on, wax-off technique that you will find in any Goju-Ryu Karate curriculum.
    Taken alone, that technique, or a strike to the carotid are both viable techniques. Together, as a parry to an incoming strike/push/grab, followed by a chop to the side of neck, with the footwork as he demonstrated and taught it, it's awkward as all hell even with just combats on. With body armor and fighting order on, it is essentially impossible to pull off.

Teaching another set up for a strike to the carotid wherein one uses the old krotty standby of catching a haymaker with both forearms, followed by a strike to the neck with the outside hand. Beyond general impracticality, the key problem there was a complete lack of any kind of power generation. There is a perfect opportunity to throw a haito uchi if you actually manage to pull that set up off, but instead the way that was taught has no hip turn, no footwork, no anything beyond winging your own open-handed arm punch haymaker.

Teaching a pinch to the meat of the leg or arm as something that will drop any kind of tough guy "like a wrestler or MMA fighter".

Stating that MMA isn't sanctioned in Ontario "because RNC's are far too dangerous and likely to kill somebody". This was followed by teaching a standing arm triangle (incorrectly), and a one handed trachea squeeze.

As final icing on the cake, several soldiers from my regiment are now traveling over an hour out of their way to train with him, and paying more for it than they would at much better (imho) local schools. Since, being an infantry regiment, sparring/rough housing/"bear pitting" is fairly common, I've actually been able to witness them get progressively worse in the past few months. I've personally had two of them take themselves down by reaching back over their shoulders to try the same trachea grab that I saw him demonstrate. This is ussually followed by them demonstrating less ability to stop someone mounting, knee-riding, transitioning back and forth from side-control than I am used to from 2 class BJJ noobs.

Uggh.

Posted On:
    11/04/2010 12:05am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoWithAnM View Post
    Also, his military training is with the feared Canadian army? That don't impress us Americans...I'm pretty sure our "Salvation Army" could kicks their ass.
    The Canadians I dealt with while I was in the US military were definitely competent and their SF personnel are top notch.

The US Military has nearly 3 million people, active and reserve and a budget of about 692 billion dollars or $230,000 per soldier.

The Canadian military on the other hand, only has about 93,000 total personnel and a budget of about 21.8 billion dollars. $234,000 per soldier.

Now when you figure most Canadian military tech is bought from the US and they don't have to spend billions on R+D (78 billion vs. 350 million) those numbers change to ~$204,000 per soldier and ~$300,000 per soldier. So who do you think is better trained and equipped on a man for man level?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415