Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 10:48am

Style: BJJ, WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. No, really, I appreciate it when people post long rambling replies with no paragraph breaks whatsoever. I now have a splitting headache, and the only thing keeping me from flaming the hell out of you is the fact that your post has convinced me you are not capable of comprehending basic concepts like legibility.

Quote Originally Posted by The highlander
    I have seen him attacked by two large men at one time when he was not expecting it. He struck a KO point called stomach 5. That guy fell and the other man started to run away so Gus chased him and took him down too. Neither where students of his and both where tough one was a mma fighter.
    Oh, and that sounds like a load of bullshit to me.

As for the rest of your incoherent drivel, lineage and rank are secondary to fighting ability. I don't care what organization has approved what person in what art. It's the skill that matters, and it's the skill these people are asking for when they call for a throwdown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 9:43pm

Style: Short Fist & Pak Mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    Of course, the progession should be obvious.
    Would you agree though that in order for a student to reach the upper levels of their martial arts capabilities, the students must take it upon themselves to train on their own? Visiting other schools and seeing what works, attending seminars, researching. Do a considerable about of self-training.
    Basically go from learning martial arts to understanding it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is what Mike? Do you have a particular theory?

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEM2381
    This is why its best to have everything on videotape because if there is no proof its just he said she said. Oh, I forgot your club doesn't allow its fighters to be taped. Why is that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 10:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was at your club, you should have given me a taste then. I think you did in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEM2381
    Iíd like to note that I would be happy to upload some mpegs of our training and demos for the military and others. One of our students is in the middle of transferring all the old tapes over to dvd. Iím sure he be happy to makes some mpeg so that I can upload them and you can get a taste of what we do.

Why donít you guys do the same, upload some video of you performing and will judge the merit of both style on the taped evidence.

I donít get the reluctance to show tapes of your fighters in action. You must have a video or two lying around that you could upload that way we both could get a better idea about what the other party does. Mind you were in the middle of the transfer process right now so it may take a week or so to get a video up, but Iíd be happy to upload or share a link where one could be downloaded as soon as it becomes available

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 12:37pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If lineage and certificates and such mattered then why bother fighting at all, two people would just meet up and spout out thier lineage and achievements before a "ref/arbitrator" and then based on how each looks on paper the ref/arbitrator could decide without a punch bieng thrown.
    Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 7/26/2006 12:37pm at . Reason: deletion

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 8:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BRAZILLIAN JIU-JITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :5badair: :5badair: <<<<<<<<the blackfart society.....its my own school ..you see you eat beans for a week and when a enemy attacks you fart and grab a pressure piont.....i offer classes to morons and idiots...i also hold belts in "fartkwondo fart jitsu and fart fu".....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 12:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky
    If lineage and certificates and such mattered then why bother fighting at all, two people would just meet up and spout out thier lineage and achievements before a "ref/arbitrator" and then based on how each looks on paper the ref/arbitrator could decide without a punch bieng thrown.
    So that would be the tabletop version of Martial LARPs? I'm sure you could work dice into it somewhere.

Although, come to think of it, a lot of conflicts between "warriors" on TV and in movies get resolved that way. Think Rush Hour 2, where Jackie Chan is fighting another guy until he recognizes the guy's style. Or on Andromeda, where Tyr Anasazi defuses a mob of Nietzschians by reciting his family tree. Makes me wonder if the perception by the general public is that challenges go down that way. Then again, if McDojos actually go around challenging each other like that, it could be accurate.

Good God highlander. Stream-of-consciousness is overrated.
    Last edited by Kraken; 7/28/2006 12:57pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 3:15pm

Style: pak mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the club that small belongs to isnt a mcdojo . if thats what your implying if not okay. personaly in my day we didnt have computers and did this face to face . in most cases the trouble was started by beginners or people with a lack os self worth. to bad this isnt those days then thered be no paper tigers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 4:05pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I'm not implying that OZZ and small go to a McDojo. I've never met nor laid eyes on either of them. In fact, I wasn't speaking about any school specifically.

Bluto wrote about a rather surreal scenario where two practicioners settle a dispute between their schools by shouting their credentials at each other, mediated by a refferee/arbitrator (read: Dungeon Master). I said that if compliant drilling, etc., is the MA equivalent of LARPing, then this would be like a tabletop gaming session.

After writing this I recalled a few instances of something similar happening in movies or on TV, so I cited them and said, "maybe John Q. Public thinks martial artists (using the term loosely) do things this way", and immediately afterward I thought, "hey, if a large number of McDojo's go around trash-talking each other and crowing about who taught them, public perception might not be too far off."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 4:26pm

Style: pak mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay that clears it as a old guy in the arts (more than 4 decades ) l dont know anything about computer games and such. so l dont take offence it was to clear up any notions. l think your probably right about public perceptions as most who hand out challenges when confonted run to a lawyer . not all but to many. for that reason l wouldnt have a web site or anything like it. if someone wants to see what l do he can see me in person . when places are obviuosly bullshido the computer gives them a chance to hide and spread rumors to coverup their inequities . we would meet face to face . l have seen on the computers claims that only a idiot would believe send out challenges and when they were excepted squeal like a pig and threaten lawsuits. this would make a lot of people look at what we do and think its a joke. in the 50s and 60s do this type of thing youd lose your students if a challenge wasnt delt with . youd be a joke in the community. now too many are gullible . they buy into the fantastic and downright stupid. they look at the pizazz and not content and if its real or able to do whats promised. how many teach defense against a gun when they have never had to or a knife when they have no experience. a jack of all trades but master of none seems to be the case. being a grandmaster after less than 2o years its a laugh.