Posted On:
    9/14/2002 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Ki Chuan Do/Close Combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I submit this site for comments:

http://www.okf1956.org/index.cfm?page=membership

Do most of you agree that this is McDojo ? (I assume that most do)

What would you think of an Aikido instructor who lists this organizaiton as part of his resume ? And yes, I know Aikido is not an Okinawan art.
  2. Michael

Posted On:
    9/15/2002 1:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know why this would be considered a Mcdojo, couldn't find anything to suggest it. Would you mind pointing out some facts or things you might think would make this a Mcdojo?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/15/2002 3:08am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't see anything that made this a McDojo. Why do you think so?

>What would you think of an Aikido instructor who lists this organizaiton as part of his resume ? And yes, I know Aikido is not an Okinawan art.

So I would say the guy crosstrained. Nothing wrong with that.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    9/15/2002 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy is not quite McDojo, but so close. He expects you to pay a fee for "unity". Basicly you pay a fee get fancy certificates and get your rank "internationaly recognize" (mmmm...somebody is surfing butt) and a crappy ass news letter while he runs off giggling giggling to all the holding companies he has.

I remember I brought up this webpage when I was putting togethe resources for traditional styles in Las Vegas. I quickly lost interest in the project when this was the second page I brought up.

"But some apes gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Aple shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2002 10:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses.

For those who asked, it looks like McDojo to me because from their "membership applications", on-line store, etc. it appears that you can buy rank, title (Shihan etc), teaching certificates and membership without necessarily having to demonstrate a lot skill - I could be wrong. As for the Aikido instructor, he was not indicating that he had cross-trained, but rather that he was certified in the "Aikido Division" of the OKF.

To me it would appear they may just be selling credentials. However their history section looks half-way legit (I don't really know enough about Okinawan martial history to evaluate it). Even within the history section, however, there seem to be plenty of "reorganizations" which might lead someone to question whether the current organization would bear any resemblance at all to anything they were in the past.

I brought this here becuase I saw it posted on another forum where someone was considering joining an Aikido school where the instructor belongs to this organization. Many responded that this organization looks a bit sketchy so I thought I would bring it up here.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/15/2002 8:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see him as someone trying to make a buck with the certs, but his creditintials seem to legit. So I would have to pass on saying he is a McDojo. OKF has been around and I have heard of it before.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2002 1:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeremy,

If his credentials are legit & I buy this nice Shihan cert for $200, would that mean I would then have legit credentials as a Shihan ? Or are you saying that in your experience this organization would not issue me a Shihan certificate without closely examining my credentials ? If that is what you are saying, then I agree with you - they are not a McDojo.

However, if it is as easy to get these certificates as it would appear, then they are just a McDojo with good credentials. I'll take a black belt, a teaching cert, a Shihan title and an order of fries - hold the kyu rank please.

https://ssl9.crystaltech.com/atwhost/okf1956/store/prodpage.cfm?Cat=1&subc=1&Product_Selected =2

It may be that no out there has experience with the OKF, in which case I guess we can't really come to any real conclusion - just personal opinions. I was just hoping someone might have some first hand knowledge about the org. and/or the man who runs it.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/16/2002 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree if you can do a mail order certification with out have credientials, then he is a swindler. However I was thinking, or at least hoping, that he checks your credentials before selling the cert. Selling the certs are just his way of making an extra buck. There is one way to find out. Ask him what he needs to sell the cert.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
  9. Michael

Posted On:
    9/16/2002 12:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to agree with Jeremy on that one.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2002 9:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeremy & Michael,

Thanks for the perspective. I may have jumped to conclusions too quickly. I'm glad others on the site did not do so also.

I think I would need to do a bit more than email the head of the org to adequately evaluate the legitimacy of their certifications (ie. I would have to actually try to obtain some kind of advanced cert). Not really willing to put in that much effort (or spend a few hundred bucks) so for now I will have to be content reminding myself not to jump to conclusions too quickly.

Thanks again.

Best -
    SD
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast