• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. NewsGimp

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC 59 Buyrate, Chuck Liddell/ESPN, Matt Hughes, & More (Wrestling News)

UFC 59 Sells 400,000 Buys On PPV? The Wrestling Observer newsletter is reporting that the UFC 59 "Reality Check" PPV featuring Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin and Tim Sylvia vs. Andrei Arlovski drew 400,000 buyrates according to early industry estimates.

Link To Original Article

and good morning to you too

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Comcast charged me twice for the PPV. Rotten fucks.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 8:17pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    400,000 buys and a majority of the guys on the fight card are still making less than $20,000 to fight. Many still fighting for only $2000.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 9:12pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give it time. When the undercard fights feature true top talent they'll be paid accordingly.

Right now the sport is still in its adolescence. 5 years from now we'll see people getting paid what they're due. Maybe not in relation to Boxing, but still.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 9:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I値l believe that when I see it. Five years from now you値l have what you have right now, a handle full of guys at the top like Liddell and Couture who can pull in $150,000-100,000 per fight and a bunch of guys at the bottom consisting of a revolving door of guys who are willing to fight for $20,000-2,000. As long as you have guys willing to fight for as little as $2000, $2000 is all that they are going to get paid.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Give it time. When the undercard fights feature true top talent they'll be paid accordingly.

Right now the sport is still in its adolescence. 5 years from now we'll see people getting paid what they're due. Maybe not in relation to Boxing, but still.
    How much longer are we gonna keep repeting this mantra?, I believe that they deserve better pay, specially when a fight card draws 400,000 PPV or 399,999 according to certain sources

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 12:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the UFC continues to grow in popularity eventually some of the money will trickle down to the fighters. The problem is that as long as the UFC maintains a monopoly on the US market they will continue to pay these guys as little as they can get away with. Plenty of fighters will be happy to fight for as little as $5,000-2,000 because it痴 still double what they can make fighting anywhere else in the states. And as soon as these guys lose a fight or two they値l be out and they値l get another first timer willing to fight for peanuts in the hope that they値l be the 渡ext Tito Ortiz or Chuck Liddell. And as soon as they lose a fight, well there痴 still plenty more guys willing to take their place to fight for peanuts.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 1:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if you've noticed, but other organizations put shows on PPV. Phrost is correct, though being a bit generous by saying that the sport is in its adolescence. The sport is in its infancy, in my opinion. Its foot is finally in the door. Now diversification is starting to happen (Gracie vs. Hammerhouse, Strikeforce, IFL). It takes a long time for athletes in a new sport to get paid what they're worth (which is a questionable statement anyway).

What'd you guys think? The buyrate finally hits a good number and all of a sudden fighters with mediocre talent are going to become millionaires? This **** takes time. A LOT of time.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 2:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There痴 only so many shows that the ppv market can bear. Just because a show is on ppv doesn稚 mean that the fighters are getting paid well. King of the Cage is on ppv and the majority of the guys on the fight card are fighting for $1,000-250. The main event guys at KOTC are lucky if they are getting what the preliminary UFC guys are getting paid.

I知 especially skeptical of the 堵ive it time school of thought. When I was fighting in Arizona (1999-2001) at the rules meeting for my first fight we all got the 堵ive it time speech. 添ou guys are getting in on the ground floorthis is the sport of the futuregive it time eventually this is gonna be bigyou guys just need to be patient etc
    Well seven years later and the local promoter is still giving the same 堵ive it time speech to all of the guys at the rules meetings and the guys still aren稚 making ****. Since the average mma career is fairly short, maybe two years or so, he can continue to keep giving the same speech over and over since after a few years it痴 a whole new crop of gullible new fighters hearing and believing it. Hell there痴 guys locally who I know are fighting for $50?!

To the promoters the fighters are just a piece of meat to use and discard when they are no more use to them. They won稚 pay a penny more than they absolutely have to. Part of the problem has to do with the sport. When Oscar De La Hoya fights on ppv he gets paid a lot because people are buying the show to see Oscar De La Hoya fight. When it comes to mma people generally buy a show to watch the UFC not a specific fighter, the exception being the few at the top like Liddell, Couture, Ortiz etc. That痴 part of the reason that the guys on the under card are so disposable. A bunch of my students and I usually go to a local sports bar to see the UFC. I would be willing to bet from the conversations that I hear there that maybe 90%+ of the people in attendance have never heard of any of the guys on the under card and will forget most of their names by the time that they get back to their cars at the end of the night.