Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 1:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bring back the Nature Gods!!!!

The Earth wants sacrifice! blood makes the grass grow!!!

Seriously though, the Catholic Church has NO business making fun of another tradition for being 'Pagan', seeing as to how they are by far the most successful Pagan Religion around.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    Seriously though, the Catholic Church has NO business making fun of another tradition for being 'Pagan', seeing as to how they are by far the most successful Pagan Religion around.
    Bro, that's ridiculous. You are taking something totally out of context for no reason.

The Catholic church is not making fun of paganism or animism. It is stating that you can't be a Christian and a Pagan at the same time, just in the same way you can't be a Jewish and a Muslim, or to claim to be a Hindu just because you have a figure or Lord Ganesh at home. That all there is to it.

You and anyone else is free to follow any belief. You are free to make up any set of beliefs you want. Freedom of religion is something the Catholic church has always insisted. However, Christian dogma is based on a very strict set of tennets such as the Holy Trinity or the Resurrection of Christ or that Jesus was God Himself being born a man. The attribution of natural phenomena to the direct intervention of some mystic God or Being is not among those tennets.

Creationism then does not conform to that. It is a form of animism, of paganism. Under no form of shape Guy Consolmagno's statements can be taken as an insult to traditional Animist/Pagan traditions. The only way to make that conclusion is if you really want to make it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 2:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Dude, even Protestants look down on Fundies.

I was raised Lutheran. In a discussion with a Fundie, who praised Martin Luther for stopping the evil Catholics, I reminded the Fundie that Lutheran theology shares mor e in common with Catholicism than with his theology, such as believing that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist.

It didn't take long for said Fundie to start condemning Lutherans as pawns of the Catholic Church.
    When it comes to dogma, fanaticism, hypocrisy, decadence and corruption, radical Prods make the Catholic Church look normal. The Reformation has, in that regard, come full circle.

/CofE 4 Life!
    //Baptised by a Wing Commander.

Vae Victus

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 3:00pm

Style: Hapmudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Dude, even Protestants look down on Fundies.

I was raised Lutheran. In a discussion with a Fundie, who praised Martin Luther for stopping the evil Catholics, I reminded the Fundie that Lutheran theology shares mor e in common with Catholicism than with his theology, such as believing that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist.

It didn't take long for said Fundie to start condemning Lutherans as pawns of the Catholic Church.
    But are we talking consubstantiation or transubstantiation?

Not too mention the fact that Luther seemed to have the whole Catholic Guilt thing in spades, what with the concept of anfechtung and all. Sometimes it is hard to understand how the theologies of Luther/Zwingli/Muentzer/Calvin etc. evolved into the fundamentalism of today.

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 3:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Bro, that's ridiculous. You are taking something totally out of context for no reason.

The Catholic church is not making fun of paganism or animism. It is stating that you can't be a Christian and a Pagan at the same time
    I'm trolling, my friend. But if you want to get down on it, please understand that I am not saying this to insult Catholicism, if that is indeed your faith:

But it is entirely appropriate to see the Catholic Church in this light.

Most notably:
    1) from a strict Monotheistic standpoint, Jesus CANNOT be god in the literal sense.
    From a comparitive mythology standpoint he is more like a Sun God in any traditional pantheon.

On top of that, numerous elements of the 'mythology' of Jesus' life was lighter DIRECTLY from older pagan religions (most notably Mithraism): this includes but is not limited to his dying/resurrection, his December 25th 'birth', his birth amongst the animals, semi-divine parentage, his association with Easter, and so on. Even the symbol of the Cross was an ancient image of the Sun God.

2) The Hierarchy of the Catholic Church was the direct result of gnostic and heretical Jewish messianic cults becoming popular amongst Rome and eventually made into the roman State Religion. The 'new' teachings were grafted directly onto the previous Pagan religious structure of the state religion: worship of Jupiter, or Jove, king of the gods.

3) The myriad Saints play EXACTLY the same role in 'Folk Catholicism' as they do in any traditional 'pagan' religion, right down to having specific 'patron' saints that offer guidance and protection relative to that given activity or sphere of influence. If this seems at al offensive to you, then just consider the obvious: MANY tribal pagan gods show up as Saints after a people convert to Catholicism (The Celtic Goddess Brigid became Saint Brigit. Same for the Virgin of Guadalupe)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Christian holidays were stacked on top of pagan ones to make the transition easier for the heathens. The Christians were always quite kind and understanding (at least to those they didn't torture to death).
    Honestly, stupid pagans! Tsk, animal gods? A stupid idea (Excluding great ape gods apparently.) We all know it's an old dude in white that wears sandals and has a big bushy beard.
    Silly pagans with their daft ideas.

Just so nobody gets offended, I have nothing against Christianity any more than any of the other religions, and I find the Christian god just as believable as the Hindu, Muslim, and Sikh god/s, the easter bunny, Santa, Yoda, and fairies.

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 3:32pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Bullshido's Ninja

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Christians ARE Pagans.

Thats all.

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 3:36pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Bullshido's Ninja

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 8:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Freedom of religion is something the Catholic church has always insisted.
    lol - I had to come back to this one. Again, with all due respect: the Cathars, Albigensians, Bogomils, and all the Jews in Spain during Torquemada's time would argue otherwise.

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 11:15pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy
    Obviously they didn't take Secrets of the Universe 4114 as one of their electives. How these people can believe in Creationism is simple; faith. It's a belief absent of (or in direction contradiction to) fact.
    And letting places like Oral Roberts University have accreditation.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast