Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 3:11pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this on the web (Calvin Chin's Martial Arts Academy). I agree wholeheartily, how about you?

Finding spirituality has been a natural progression for many who pursue the arts. We believe that spirituality achieved from martial arts comes from knowing oneself. "To know oneself is to know your opponent" is a well-known tenet in the martial arts. Spirituality is achieved when one is able to reach a perspective beyond one's ego.

In learning martial arts, one has to overcome many limitations to progress. This requires belief, not only of the transmission, or the art itself, but more importantly, faith in oneself! At each plateau, one has to find the will to continue and not give up. Reaching each threshold is a new discovery of oneself. Many who train in martial arts start with the goal of learning self defense. Through the many stages of refinement, this reason is no longer the drive to achieve. Self-cultivation becomes the ultimate goal in which martial arts is the means to achieve this. The knowledge gained through martial arts builds human character, reveals the soul, and transcends all aspects of life. What is learned through the traditional training process provides valuable lessons in life. One becomes comfortable in one's own skin and comfortable in one’s environment. This is knowing one's true self in the realm of all things.

Flame away....

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 3:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Go away I'm talking to myself

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not worth my time.

If this is what get this guy and his students in the gym/dojo or whatever fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "To me, the proof of the pudding is this: if karate helps build a superior moral, ethical, and personable human being, then why are so many senior instructors of karate such pricks? Just where are all of these perfected characters at that karate has been producing for the last 80 years?" - Shotokan Planet

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go out and get your wallet enlightened. I am sure you can find some MA instructor to do it.

Sifu Emin - Did you see that?
    Me - (gasping) No, but I can't breathe yet.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that martial arts (or any form of hard physical activity) will teach you more about yourself. However, this:

"To know oneself is to know your opponent"

is utter horseshit.

Thank you, goodnight.

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/14/2003 12:52am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "In learning martial arts, one has to overcome many limitations to progress."

anyone who trains knows this.

"This requires belief, not only of the transmission, or the art itself, but more importantly, faith in oneself!"

this is called confidence, boys and girls.

"At each plateau, one has to find the will to continue and not give up."

oh, and this one is discipline. sorely lacking these days in ma.

"Reaching each threshold is a new discovery of oneself. "

isn't everthing like this? why would ma be different?

"Many who train in martial arts start with the goal of learning self defense."

why? ask yourself that.

"Through the many stages of refinement, this reason is no longer the drive to achieve."

yes, but that only happens once you have come to understand what you are doing. MOST never achieve this level. they are too busy using the arts to serve their infantile purposes.

"Self-cultivation becomes the ultimate goal in which martial arts is the means to achieve this."

same response to this one.

"The knowledge gained through martial arts builds human character, reveals the soul, and transcends all aspects of life."

for those that have the drive, intelligence,and discipline, this becomes self-evident.

"What is learned through the traditional training process provides valuable lessons in life. One becomes comfortable in one's own skin and comfortable in one’s environment. This is knowing one's true self in the realm of all things."

unfortunately, remarks like this call to mind all of the things that most try desperately to bury all the time. few realize what makes them 'tick', and are scared shitless to even try to find out. that why posts like this will be greeted with a clamour of fear disguised as an aggressive arrogant superiority, or a flippant dismissal designed to defuse the potential discourse that this could raise.

favorite relavant kungfu movie quote:

"I'm a bit strange, i never know why i do things!?"

peace.

<marquee>LIUSEONGPOEKULANPENTJAKKUNTAOSILATREDANTINDONESIANGUNGFU</marquee>

Edited by - kuntaokid on May 14 2003 00:55:16

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2003 1:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Spirituality" is one area of growth and evolution teachers should never interfere with or expect from others. If the teacher's understanding has a spiritual basis to it, it'll be most evident in deeds and character. That's all..

Look at the kind of man Funakoshi was. Kano, Oyama, et al. Their respective systems wouldn't even exist unless those men had such strong human qualities. They lived their art in every thought and motion. That's what really made them great. Their true legacy is often lost in pursuit of the perfect fist.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2003 2:06am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Look at the kind of man Funakoshi was. Kano, Oyama, et al."

According to Jon Bluming, Oyama sent 2 yakuza guys to New York to shoot a former Oyama student in the knees.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2003 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't want someone who i have to fight to say "He has great moral character"...i want him to say "Whr me teet?"

-----------------------------------------------------------
    "you think you're tough? try riding on the back of a moto in downtown Phnom Penh"---jzf

"i left my heart in laos, but my wallet in cambodia
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast