Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 1:26pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kobe refers to the Octagon

Some NBA games do end up like full contact events. Raja Bell (Suns) was suspended one game for his flagrant foul on Kobe Bryant. What's notable is that Kobe made a simple reference to "the octagon" in his post game interview. You can find it on the ESPN page: http://espn.go.com Look at the videos on the right side of the page and hit the one titled "Raja Bell Suspended 1 Game..."

[Kobe, talking about hard contact like elbows]:
    "...it's part of the game, but it's something that belongs in the octagon. You wanna train and hop in the octagon, you can train and hop in the octagon..."

[Cutaway to a later Raja Bell interview, who responds]
    "we don't need an octagon, there's plenty of space and opportunity right out here..."

Those plain and simple references to the octagon were made with no other context. The players just assume that people know it means UFC full contact fighting. I know most of us would make that association right away, but it's interesting that these NBA players use the phrase and assume the larger audience will also know what they mean. Perhaps with the next UFC happening at the Staples Center, more people in the LA area understand the reference.

Anyhow, no profound point to be made here. Just pointing out how mma lingo is seeping into the pubic discourse as mma continues to grow in the states.

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 2:53pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UFC Website
    05/01/2006
    TUF 3 Out-Delivers 3 Major Sports on Spike TV
    SPIKE TV’S “THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER”
    DELIVERS MORE MEN 18-34 THAN THE THREE MAJOR SPORTS ON CABLE COMBINED ON THURSDAY, APRIL 27

NEW YORK, NY, May 1, 2006 – The fourth episode of Spike TV’s hit series, The Ultimate Fighter 3®, out delivered more men in the hard-to-reach demographic of M 18-34 than the combination of the NBA Playoffs on TNT, the NHL Playoffs on OLN, and a marquee MLB match-up between the Red Sox and Indians on Thursday, April 27. The Spike TV telecast drew 799,000 Men 18-34 while the three combined telecasts drew 725,000.

SPIKE TV

“THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER”

Men 18-34: 3.05 rating (799,000)

TNT

NBA Playoffs (Heat/Bulls and Clippers/Nuggets)

Men 18-34: 2.1 (543,000)

OLN

NHL Playoffs (Senators/Lightning and Red Wings/Oilers)

Men 18-34: 0.4 (66,000)

ESPN2

MLB Baseball (Red Sox/Indians)

Men 18-34: 0.4 (116,000)
    Outbroadcasting...okay the superbowl play-offs its competition was not, but still.
    With this kind of coverage, MMA (at least MMA in the UFC) will only become more and more well known

EDIT : I hope Kobe's *whine* phrase catches on- "Hey man it's not the fucking octogon...*sob*"

Then I can say to people "Don't be such a ninja..." more often.
    Last edited by BoardHitBack; 5/04/2006 2:56pm at .
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 3:47pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in Napoleon Dynamite, Rex says "this is the style I developed after 2 seasons of fighting in the octagon"

you would think right then that the guy is refering to the UFC, or some Ultimate fighting type of thing...

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 5:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I hear Octagon I always think of Chuck Norris defeating red leather clad Ninja's

in .............

Once again proving chuck was a head of his time by about 13 years.