Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 9:47am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    I'm making an inclusive blanket statement like you.
    Oh gotta. Carry on.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 9:47am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    It's kind of the point of doing longfist. Any decent CMA practitioner knows that the form is never precisely the way you fight. This is more or les true to different degrees. I'd say Xingyi movements are a lot more like application than longfist, but even they aren't exactly the same.

I practice Lost Track Monk Fist (which is pretty "northern") and Xingyi together. Lost Track is, by default, pretty much like kickboxing with a couple of extra tricks up its sleave in terms of footwork and setting up combinations, but one of its conceits is to take the "short power" emphasized by an art like Xingyi and bring it back to longer movements. One example is staying relaxed through the shot but stopping instead of retracting at the point of contact (You don't do this every time) to deliver more power to the target. Internal arts trait this from the core first, but for a long movement you have to make sure that the antagonists do not tense in anticipation of stopping, but only at the point of actually stopping.

The other reason to do long movements is because it's easier to feel when you're screwing up. If you don't move your hip into a punch, it'll show in your balance and you'll feel it not working.

Of course, if you don't shorten it up in sparring, you'll just suck.
    Uhmm....I'm talking about the long over exagerrated spinning movements in the longfist like the video. I understand Xingyi I've actually worked on this for a few years. I never said anything bad about forms. I was talking abouts Bean's explanation for the extra long/locked out movements in wushu longfist.

I've never heard that explanation before.

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 5:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really like the longfist style double leg takedown and kimura hold.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 6:10pm

Style: Boxing, Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i thought that was just a shitty wushu school until i saw the sparring. so now its a shitty wushu school with sparring.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 12:14am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'art like Xingyi and bring it back to longer movements. One example is staying relaxed through the shot but stopping instead of retracting at the point of contact (You don't do this every time) to deliver more power to the target. Internal arts trait this from the core first, but for a long movement you have to make sure that the antagonists do not tense in anticipation of stopping, but only at the point of actually stopping.

The other reason to do long movements is because it's easier to feel when you're screwing up. If you don't move your hip into a punch, it'll show in your balance and you'll feel it not working.

Of course, if you don't shorten it up in sparring, you'll just suck.'

nice.

plus the longform can be left in place and the body is quickly folded in while the arm occupies center. a major reason why the internal arts trained non retracted striking. it facilitates penetration for chinna/takedown.

no break contact grasshopper.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 8:17pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not wushu. Stances are far too high.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 9:14pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that amidst the monkey like arm swinging, it leaves you way too open without the positioning to respond quickly enough. If one arm is swinging downwards and the other is behind your head, it's not hard to high block and get a really nice hit to the gut, and kicks would be incredably easy to slip through. Given the form is a lot more exagerated than the sparring but even in the sparring I could see they couldn't really react to a point of positioning themselves better, only covering their own asses and continuing the arm swinging.

The hips are the key to having a powerful attack,without that hip rotation you simply rely on momentum and arm strength which you don't always get the opportunity to use in close range. I couldn't see any good hip rotations or positioning to rebound if I decided to through a low kick or a punch... I can see pretty much any form of attack throwing them off balance and leaving themselves open to a series of attacks. But maybe that's just me looking from a modern form of MA's perspective.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456