Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:36pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why you should build your own AR

Gun nut friends,
    Recently I decided I would build a tactical AR 15 from scratch to see if it was cheaper then say buying one from my local gun store. I think you will find this interesting.

First I started by going to my local gun store, a lovely place in Loveland Colorado called Jensenís. They have almost everything for the military/law gun nut. Their Prices are fantastic and selection is great. So I purchased the only part you have to fill out the federal paperwork from these lovely folks. Then for my birthday (back in November) my father got me a lower parts kit pictured here. Included here is a trigger kit along with the standard lower parts. Trigger kit is a must unless you like having an 8lb trigger pull.

With these parts and some help from my old man it took about 20 minutes of work before I had this. Total cost.
    $109.00 lower receiver
    $49.00 Lower parts kit.
    $12 Brownell trigger kit.
    Tax included it turns out to be $188.00 Rounded up.

It is a standard Rock River Arms lower with a DPMS part kit. Pretty basic as AR's go but I was attempting to build a simple tactical rifle for the lowest price possible.
    Next I went to my local gun show and since I dislike the collapsible M4 stock I put on a standard A2
    $60 A2 stock
    $248 Total

Since the above is only half a gun I needed an upper. Well I forgot to take pictures of the DPMS upper, Bolt, Part kit, Barrel, Barrel extension, Flash suppressor, or Cheap ass Point sight. I can however tell you it took about an hour to put it all together into this.

Upper $89.00
    Upper Parts kit. $68.00
    Bolt Carrier Assembly $134.00
    Barrel+extension $175.00
    Cheap Ass point sight $30.00
    2 Magazines $40

Grand Total $784.

After all that work you put 2 and 2 together and you get a full AR. Here is my lanky ass holding it. (Notice the good finger discipline.)

As you can see it is a decent shooter even at 100 yds with $30 point sight from K-mart.

Compare that to the recomened price of say one of these

Bushmaster

Rockriver

Tell me what you think.

PT

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 12:41am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can get an AR for about that price by shopping smart. I got my olyarms AR for about 1100$ which isn't bad.

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 6:56am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah thats true, but I think for the DIY crowd its an interesting read. Cheers
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 7:23am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AR's are like Legos. Especially with a good rail system. You can just keep adding on...of course making sure you don't overdo it and having your M4gery end up weighing more than a SAW...

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 9:04am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing I could throw in is the fact that you don't really need to invest a lot in a lower, if it works it works so if you're going to save money do it there. DO NOT skimp on the barell - buy it new and get a new bolt to go with it. Unless you plan on using it for a high level competition DO NOT get a ultra-accurate barell, the chamber is cut ultra tight in those and it is prone to jam. The reciever and the bolt carrier don't have to be perfect, but I highly reccomend you get a "bead blasted" bolt carrrier that can accomodate some dirt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 9:52am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

other thoughts

Good comments here are a few counter points, and comments of my own.
    I spent the most money on my barrel and bolt carrier. Third in that list was the lower. I spent 109.00 on the lower which was a decent price when I shopped around. The total price of the Gun was 748.00 which is between 100 and 400 dollars cheaper then you can buy a complete gun in Colorado. Average is about 900. However for a flat top with fluted barrel, the cost sits right around $1100 here. So you look at what I paid comparatively you are still better to build your own.

As for jamming and tightness, I fired about 100 rounds yesterday to test the weapon out. No mis-fires, no Jamming, no multi fires. 100 rounds isnít a lot but for a gun I built in my basement that I did all the work on putting it together. I also have the added advantage of knowing what parts it came with, Choosing where to be cheap and where to put in good ****, and knowing exactly how it works and how to fix it if it breaks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 12:52pm

Style: untrained idiot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    You can get an AR for about that price by shopping smart. I got my olyarms AR for about 1100$ which isn't bad.
    i've heard very little good about Olympic. In fact i don't think i've heard Anything good about olympic when compared to other manufacturers.

how is yours treating you?

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 3:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, M4gery. Nice one Sarge.
    :new_all_c

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 4:16pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would love to build my own AR...

But then H&K come out with a freakng 5.56

What's a boy to do?! :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 4:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't you already HAVE an awesome customized AR?
    :new_all_c
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast