Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 1:30pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you guys were kind enough to answer my question with your theories exactly like I requested, though I feel some of you were overly harsh, but whatever.

One thing I would like to clear up though is what I meant by BJJ not being that appealing to young kids, especially considering the time frame. By time frame, I meant mid-90s. It seems that most kids (who's first name doesn't started with one letter but sound like a different letter), would rather play a more action oriented sport or do a more exciting martial art than to seek out a relatively unknown technical martial art. Also, I can't imagine many of their parents would have been familar with BJJ so it might have been kind of hard for the kids to convice their parents that instead of doing fancy katas in their gis, they would be rolling around on the ground through the whole class with older mens' legs wrapped around them.

I know I'm totally wrong and am completely unmerited for being surprised, but I thought that I would at least try to explain myself.

Thanks again.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Well, you guys were kind enough to answer my question with your theories exactly like I requested, though I feel some of you were overly harsh, but whatever.

One thing I would like to clear up though is what I meant by BJJ not being that appealing to young kids, especially considering the time frame. By time frame, I meant mid-90s. It seems that most kids (who's first name doesn't started with one letter but sound like a different letter), would rather play a more action oriented sport or do a more exciting martial art than to seek out a relatively unknown technical martial art. Also, I can't imagine many of their parents would have been familar with BJJ so it might have been kind of hard for the kids to convice their parents that instead of doing fancy katas in their gis, they would be rolling around on the ground through the whole class with older mens' legs wrapped around them.

I know I'm totally wrong and am completely unmerited for being surprised, but I thought that I would at least try to explain myself.

Thanks again.
    The population that would seek BJJ would be the same type of population that would seek Judo or Wrestling, and I would venture to say, boxing (since it's also an alive MA/sport). And those sports have always been popular... and they are as much action oriented as they are technical.

Now, consider the following, either back then or now, most people didn't know and don't know what judo is, and though and still think wrestling and boxing are not martial arts. The same ignorance existed with regard to BJJ as it does exist now. Maybe not the same, but ignorance of one form or another remains and will probably remain for a long time.

People who put their kids in Judo, wrestling or boxing do so out of knowledge, and have been practitioners of one or another at some point. So I wouldnt' be surprised if the same Dad or Soccer Mommy who takes little Tyler to his judo/wrestling/boxing lessons would also be the same parent who will appreciate BJJ as well.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 2:32pm

Style: Anything that works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remeber very well in 1991, sitting in a School van while at college traveling to Tucson, AZ to see an autopsy. Some guy brought some Playboy mags and I read the Rorion Grace article. It was a Playboy from 1989.

I think there were some nekked chics in Playboy :needpics: too, but that is
    another story.

I looked at my training partner and was like, who is this guy, he going to get pounded and lose $100,000!!

Well, it did not happen and the rest is history.

I personally have been training in Gracie JJ since 1992, (not cosistantly)and Rorion was teaching way before that in his garage in CA.

That means there could be guys training in USA for 20 years, so 10 years training now in BJJ is completly possible.

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 3:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He! Now that you mention it, one of the first times I read about the UFC was while (*cough*, *cough*) "reading" Penthouse mag. If my memory serves me well, among the distracting boobs was a nice, lenghty article about UFC 7 in NY.

I've heard about the UFC waaaaay before that, but that was the very first article devoted to it that I've encountered. My memory is failing though cuz I can't remember whose' boobs on that particular edition of Penth mag.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 4:17pm

Style: Anything that works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    He! Now that you mention it, one of the first times I read about the UFC was while (*cough*, *cough*) "reading" Penthouse mag. If my memory serves me well, among the distracting boobs was a nice, lenghty article about UFC 7 in NY.

I've heard about the UFC waaaaay before that, but that was the very first article devoted to it that I've encountered. My memory is failing though cuz I can't remember whose' boobs on that particular edition of Penth mag.
    elnyka:

HA!

I thought for sure you were going to hit me with some kind of "we don't wanna here about you riding in a van with a bunch of other cop wanna be fags circle jerking to a PB MAG!!

Thanks for not reaming me over it, but I was ready!!:5bomb:

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 4:36pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets not forget Rorion fight choreographed Lethal Weapon and that was 1987 I wanted to whoop ass like Mel back then. So its been around just not Starbucky like today.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 4:38pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as a thought, but maybe alot of the TUF guys with years of BJJ experience are where they are because of it? I mean, TUF boasts pulling 16 of the best fighters in the country (only now it went international) together for its competition. It seems like less of a case of "they just happen to have studied BJJ" and more "they got in early, stuck it out, had talent for fighting, and rated highly enough because of it to warrant a spot on TUF."

Just a thought, though. But I don't really see any traditional martial artists on the show.

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 4:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha & O MY!
    elnyka:

HA!

I thought for sure you were going to hit me with some kind of "we don't wanna here about you riding in a van with a bunch of other cop wanna be fags circle jerking to a PB MAG!!

Thanks for not reaming me over it, but I was ready!!:5bomb:
    BWHAHAHAHA, I'm evil, but not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by CNagy
    Just a thought, though. But I don't really see any traditional martial artists on the show.
    What do you mean by traditional martial artists? Most of them do MT, Kickboxing, boxing and wrestling in one form or another. And BJJ is not a new invention. All those sound traditional to me :tongue3:
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 5/04/2006 4:53pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 5:34pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    The population that would seek BJJ would be the same type of population that would seek Judo or Wrestling, and I would venture to say, boxing (since it's also an alive MA/sport). And those sports have always been popular... and they are as much action oriented as they are technical.

Now, consider the following, either back then or now, most people didn't know and don't know what judo is, and though and still think wrestling and boxing are not martial arts. The same ignorance existed with regard to BJJ as it does exist now. Maybe not the same, but ignorance of one form or another remains and will probably remain for a long time.

People who put their kids in Judo, wrestling or boxing do so out of knowledge, and have been practitioners of one or another at some point. So I wouldnt' be surprised if the same Dad or Soccer Mommy who takes little Tyler to his judo/wrestling/boxing lessons would also be the same parent who will appreciate BJJ as well.
    Hmm...I see your point, but beg to differ a little bit in that BJJ now (and even moreso a decade ago) is less recognized than the other activites you mentioned. Judo has been taught nation wide for a very long time, much longer than BJJ and is more recognized in pop culture ("Judo chop!")

Boxing has been shown on various TV networks for decades.

Wrestling is taught in high schools and is an Olympic sport.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 9:44pm

Style: Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Hmm...I see your point, but beg to differ a little bit in that BJJ now (and even moreso a decade ago) is less recognized than the other activites you mentioned. Judo has been taught nation wide for a very long time, much longer than BJJ and is more recognized in pop culture ("Judo chop!")

Boxing has been shown on various TV networks for decades.

Wrestling is taught in high schools and is an Olympic sport.
    Why don't you do this...

Pick out the people that you are doubting. And start doing some research on the Internet. Look for figher bios, interviews, MMA articles, etc. You can find out then when they started, and under who.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast