5/04/2006 6:41am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kalib Starnes is 31

So he started in 1996 at age 21

that's totally implausible.

Seriously - how old ARE some of these guys?

MMA didn't "go mainstream" in 2004 - people have known about it for years.

Is it so implausible that there are a couple hundred people at least that have been doing it for a decade, when it's older then many other martial arts?
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 5/04/2006 6:44am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 7:06am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The academy that opened in my area I believe opened in 94/95 http://bjj.org/r/www.graciefighter.com/ when Cesar was a brown belt. It was the only one in the Bay Area at the time except for Ralphs in SF. Pretty soon there will be a Starbucks in each one.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    I'm not so much calling all these guys bullshido at a glance, moreso I am just questioning how they got so much training in.
    I was aware of BJJ back since the early days of the UFC. Actually, let me rephrase it. I was aware of the UFC first when I first heard Sen. McCain crying wolf over it. That piked my curiosity, and after reading about it, I learned about BJJ.

That was like the mythical unicorn for me, but being a ass poor student w/o cable and ****, all I could hear was hearsay. Anyways, we are talking back in 94 (???) probably 12 years already. Other people who were already interested in MA and were in a position to study it, would jump into it BJJ at the first chance. I know I would have I had could back then... anyways... let's continue...

Here is the way I see it:

- BJJ is probably not a very appealing art for a young kid to start studying (especially considering the timeframe).
    Not really. BJJ schools have a lot kiddie programs. Where I was studying up to Jan, they had a sizeable amount of kids.

You do a quick search on any BJJ school, and most likely you'll see they have kiddie programs. Also, consider the following: wrestling is a very popular sport among male teenagers. Judo (and here I'm need a reference to back it up) I believe is perhaps the second or third most popular MA for kids, boys and girls. Again, search for judo schools, and you'll see they have more programs for kids than for adults.

So if there is an appeal for wrestling and judo among kids, these same population of teens who want to do something serious rather than look pretty when kicking would find BJJ appealing as well.

10 years ago, BJJ was pretty much unknown to people that did see Royce use it in the UFC.
    Unknown to people who weren't that much involved in MA. It's all relative.

BJJ schools were virtually non-existant 10 years ago.
    Gracies, Machados, et all. I believe the school I went to was up and running since 96 or 97. Anyways, think about it. 10 years ago means 1995-96.

Who could possibly have trained so many kids 10 years ago (there arn't THAT many Gracies)?
    You are still assuming it MUST take 10 years to get a BB. [/quote]

Besides a lot of MMA fighters are proficient in BJJ w/o having a black belt. Nick Diaz and Frank Mir are competent BJJ fighters, yet they have a brown belt. Having a purple belt or brown belt means they have some good **** going.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 8:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh oh oh. I forgot. Also consider the following. And this is just hypothetical. Take a kid that has been doing competitive wrestling or judo since he's been 10 (don't know if that's a realistic lower age limit for wrestling, but it's pretty common in judo.)

Then he switches to BJJ at the age of 18. Besides being naturally aggresive, dedicated and in excellent physical shape, he already has a monumental amount of experience that will speed up his progression in BJJ. This is totally pausible.

Again Nathan, BJJ schools were already opened back in the mid 90's. That's plenty of time for BJJ fighters to spring "out of the void". Also, note that a lot of Brazilians have been moving to the US since the late 80's, including black belt BJJ fighters.

Last but not least, let me point out that BJJ or grappling for that matter is not as unappealing for kids as you may think. In fact, a lot parents are re-thinking where to send their kids to learn MA. There is a school near my work that has a program for kids in grappling (no pure gi BJJ, but some mixture of no gi grappling with wrestling, judo and some other cool ****.) Aparently, the program has been going on for several years already. And last time I passed around that school, there must have been like 20 6-graders going at it with ear protectors and stuff.

If Wrestling and Judo are appealing to many kids, so would be BJJ. Not every kid believes in kicking high while shouting KIAI!!!! :tongue3:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 8:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Besides a lot of MMA fighters are proficient in BJJ w/o having a black belt. Nick Diaz and Frank Mir are competent BJJ fighters, yet they have a brown belt. Having a purple belt or brown belt means they have some good **** going.
    Genki Sudo is 'only' a Brown Belt.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 11:04am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RUSH ST PIERRE IS A PURPLE!

Viva La Canada!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 11:33am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "have been studying BJJ for over ten years"
    Theories?
    "have been studying basically just judo for over ten years"

my poor attempt at sarcasm.

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 1:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    RUSH ST PIERRE IS A PURPLE!

Viva La Canada!
    RSP is le d34dl3y! :viking:

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 1:21pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a fallacy that BJJ was unknown in the martial arts community 10 years ago. The JKD Concepts guys have been touting it and the Gracies for 15 or more years now.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 1:22pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chunner.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast