Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:22pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF Is Up With All These MMA n00bs Who Are BJJ Masters?

Alright, I am puzzled by this...

Does anyone else notice that many of the guys on TUF and many young MMA fighters in general are BJJ black belts or "have been studying BJJ for over ten years"? I seriously do not understand this...these guys would have had to have been, like, twelve when they stared training. Plus, BJJ was just starting to get exposure back then and was not widespread at all by any means.

Theories?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Name one.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (2006-1993)

To name a few:
    Kenny Florian, Maricio Pe de Pano Cruz, Matt Stansell

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:54pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent. Now explain what they claim and how it is legit or not. No, really. I'd love to know if these guys are faking.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 12:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When it comes to Kenny Florian, Maricio Pe de Pano Cruz, and Matt Stansell, according to the outdated book of revelations... I mean, BJJ.org...

- Kenny Florian got his on 2/27/2004 under Roberto Maia, who got his under Carlos Gracie Jr.
    - Pe de Pano got it from Vinícius "Draculíno" Magalhães (another egg spawned by Carlos Gracie Jr.:P)
    - Matt Stansell got his on 4/27/2005 from Roy Harris, 3rd BB who got it from Joe Moreira who got it from Reylson Gracie.

****, I feel like I'm reciting the old testament... Abraham to Issac and so on and so on :P

Besides Pe de Pano who is legit beyond doubt, would it be possible for someone else to fake it so blantantly??????
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 12:06am

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kenny Florian has been training since BBJJ started up (at least 10 years). For at least the past 2 years he's practically been on a full time training schedule elsewhere, so I've rarely seen him roll. He pretty much cleans house with the higher belts when he does though.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 12:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long does it take on average to get a BB in BJJ? 10 years? If I'm not wrong, Lloyd Irvin and BJ Penn got theirs in approx. 4 years. Take someone that is 22 to 25 years old NOW and has a BB belt. If it took this person 7 years, say to get his/her BB, then he or she would have had started at the age of 15 or 17, which is not rare.

McScary, what exactly are you trying to discuss? What MMA names have raised an eyebrow????

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 12:53am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the list, Bud Shi Dist. You can add Kalib Starnes to the list. I don't know if he has a BB, but he has stated that he has trained specifically in BJJ for over ten years. Pretty sure I've heard several other TUF guys claim to be BJJ masters as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    How long does it take on average to get a BB in BJJ? 10 years? If I'm not wrong, Lloyd Irvin and BJ Penn got theirs in approx. 4 years. Take someone that is 22 to 25 years old NOW and has a BB belt. If it took this person 7 years, say to get his/her BB, then he or she would have had started at the age of 15 or 17, which is not rare.

McScary, what exactly are you trying to discuss? What MMA names have raised an eyebrow????
    I'm not so much calling all these guys bullshido at a glance, moreso I am just questioning how they got so much training in.

Here is the way I see it:

- BJJ is probably not a very appealing art for a young kid to start studying (especially considering the timeframe).

- 10 years ago, BJJ was pretty much unknown to people that did see Royce use it in the UFC.

- MMA was still a spectical 10 years ago, and pretty much the only people training in BJJ were serious fighters who were already competing.

- BJJ schools were virtually non-existant 10 years ago.

- Who could possibly have trained so many kids 10 years ago (there arn't THAT many Gracies)?

As I said before, I'm not pointing my finger here, moreso I am just wondering how and where these people got trained. It seems that once MMA hit mainstream a couple years ago, these regular Joe jocky-looking young MMA fighters just sprouted up with 10+ years BJJ training already under their belts. I was just curious if anyone else was taken aback by this. No hidden messages.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 1:40am

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it's frustrating to me that these people were able to get in on it early when I had no idea what it was until UFC1. And even then I didn't gain any interest until I was 18. But obviously the Gracie's and others would've had to teach many people back then in order to make a living. Just wish I was one of them. Instead I played baseball. doh!
    Legendary Street Fighter

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 4:23am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Thanks for the list, Bud Shi Dist. You can add Kalib Starnes to the list. I don't know if he has a BB, but he has stated that he has trained specifically in BJJ for over ten years. Pretty sure I've heard several other
    TUF guys claim to be BJJ masters as well.
    And?
    I'm not so much calling all these guys bullshido at a glance, moreso I am just questioning how they got so much training in.
    A club opened up close by. They started taking classes. They saw it in TV and decided to travel to a place where it was taught. They contacted a BJJ guy in the area and had him come in regularly for BJJ seminars. Pick one.
    - BJJ is probably not a very appealing art for a young kid to start studying (especially considering the timeframe).
    Says you. That's why there are BJJ kids classes taught at many schools.
    - 10 years ago, BJJ was pretty much unknown to people that did see Royce use it in the UFC.
    So they found a place that taught it and started training.
    - MMA was still a spectical 10 years ago, and pretty much the only people training in BJJ were serious fighters who were already competing.
    THE WHOLE POINT OF UFC 1 WAS TO SHOWCASE BJJ'S PROWESS AS A SELF DEFENSE ART!!!!! ITS UTILITY IN COMPETITIVE FIGHTING WAS SECONDARY!

Also, all the people I know that started BJJ that long ago started it because

A.) They were kids, saw a UFC, and decided to start training in BJJ when a school opened up.
    B.) They were already martial artists (not necessarily competitors), and they saw their brethren get taken down and owned by a scrawny Brazilian, so they decided to start taking seminars and such to shore up their weaknesses.
    - BJJ schools were virtually non-existant 10 years ago.
    Right, but the people that are on TUF now obviously found them, or they started training based on seminars and instructional videos.
    - Who could possibly have trained so many kids 10 years ago (there arn't THAT many Gracies)?
    Uhhh . . . there are a lot of BJJ black belts in Brazil. Perhaps some of them moved to America to start teaching when the fad caught on?
    As I said before, I'm not pointing my finger here, moreso I am just wondering how and where these people got trained. It seems that once MMA hit mainstream a couple years ago, these regular Joe jocky-looking young MMA fighters just sprouted up with 10+ years BJJ training already under their belts. I was just curious if anyone else was taken aback by this. No hidden messages.
    Like Osiris said, just because they're new to MMA doesn't mean they're new to BJJ. BJJ is not MMA (except in the case of early events), and it never will be. A whole grappling culture exists separately from MMA. Most of the people I know that do BJJ are not serious fighters. Sure, serious fighters train in BJJ, but I guarantee you that most of the BJJ guys that first started training in the US/Canada were not ever planning on becoming professional fighters. So no, it doesn't surprise me. You can look the credentials of these guys up. Besides that, TUF showcases guys that are basically ready for the big time. Dana White has a pretty good idea of who he's going to put on Fight Cards before the show even starts. TUF serves several purposes:

A.) It lets the audience get to know the fighters.
    B.) It serves as a final proving ground for the fighters, letting Dana see semi-objectively where they stand in terms of skill. The ones that impress him will show up again. The ones that don't, disappear.
    C.) Gives the fighters a chance to polish their game up before they show up on a PPV Card.

In other words, you're seeing the cream of the crop.

I'll try to say this in the nicest way possible: It is quite apparent that you didn't think things through before you hit the "submit" button on this thread. Hey it's cool, we all do it sometimes. Accept your reaming and move on.
    Last edited by Cassius; 5/04/2006 4:45am at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast