Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:16pm

Style: hung gar - self taught

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruce Lee

Was reading another forum and inspred me to start another thread...

As popular as Bruce Lee is as a reference for wing chun, I have never seen him fight in a way that remotely resembles wing chun except for one short clip of him doing about 2 seconds of a wing chun training drill.

Does anyone have any clips of him using wing chun or wanna discuss the topic of bruce lee's alleged wing chun?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:19pm

Style: intuitive striker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bruce lee was a really wicked martial artists, he was one of the best, although he never sparred people 'alive'.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:41pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only formal training Bruce Lee had was a minimal amount of time spent under Yip Man, where he was (reportedly) the only student Man would chi sao with, since Bruce was (again allegedly) the only person in the gym good enough to challenge the master or "not degrade the master's skills" whatever that means.

There are aspects of Wing Chun energy drills alive in JKD Concepts; they are minimal and used are building blocks for other things, better things. There is far more boxing and fencing in JKD than any other arts, in many ways.

Bruce Lee was a fabulous athlete, a pioneer of anti-bullshido martial arts and a pretty solid actor in many ways. Whether he could FIGHT or not is open to endless pointless debate.

Bruce should be acknowledged as the spiritual father of MMA and "do what works" training and admired for his effort and dedication. Other than that, HE WAS JUST A FUCKING GUY OKAY?
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's a video somewhere (you can probably search for it on youtube) of one of Bruce Lee's rooftop battles. It was tragic, and if it was any indication of Bruce Lee's skill... I pity all the idiots that deify him. There's also a video of him wearing an umpire suit sparring with some dude that's a total snore fest.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:51pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's from "Game of Death". Didn't make it into the movie.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 11:03pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    people say Lee was a WC guy because they want to believe in WC

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    which would be similar to saying "operatic dance is a good martial art because jackie chan does it"
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing chun.

There's a reason why Bruce stopped doing wing chun and focused on trying to figure out how to bring combat out of the dark ages.

He also shut down all of his JKD schools.

Wait.. Bruce is psychically contacting me.....he has a message for you now...

Bruce says to STFU and get a life. That is all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 1:39am

Style: hung gar - self taught

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I've seen that rooftop one and the comp one as well but seriously those fights could just be random guys fighting and also those fights really don't give much insight about him as a fighter even if it is him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis
    bruce lee was a really wicked martial artists, he was one of the best, although he never sparred people 'alive'.
    He did get challenged a lot though and consistently defended himself but according to rumor he did get beaten up by some black guys once. I'm personally not too sure whether he was a good fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    The only formal training Bruce Lee had was a minimal amount of time spent under Yip Man, where he was (reportedly) the only student Man would chi sao with, since Bruce was (again allegedly) the only person in the gym good enough to challenge the master or "not degrade the master's skills" whatever that means.
    Sounds like a rumor to me, he learnt only a small part of the system. Also he wasn't taught the inch punch (the traditional one, i'm aware he did the 'inch-punch' but this was his own version which he taught himself) because as a student he had a bad attitude. Note this is not MY opinion so flaming me is pretty pointless, i'm only recounting what happened. It was his teachers that held this view.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Bruce should be acknowledged as the spiritual father of MMA and "do what works" training and admired for his effort and dedication. Other than that, HE WAS JUST A FUCKING GUY OKAY?
    No need to make fun of the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reese
    Wing chun.

There's a reason why Bruce stopped doing wing chun and focused on trying to figure out how to bring combat out of the dark ages.
    He stopped doing wing chun cause he was a crybaby and left when they wouldn't teach him the inch punch.
    He also shut down all of his JKD schools.
    Officially he only declared one of his students a teacher of his style which was that phillipino guy or whatever i don't know his name.
    Wait.. Bruce is psychically contacting me.....he has a message for you now...

Bruce says to STFU and get a life. That is all.
    Nobody is making you read my thread mate, if you don't want to you don't have to.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 1:49am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal
    Does anyone have any clips of him using wing chun or wanna discuss the topic of bruce lee's alleged wing chun?
    From memory, he speaks about it in his audition tapes, when he was brought in by Stirling Silliphant to show producers his stuff. He spoke about Kung Fu's superiority over Karate, by comparing the power of the strikes. He also praised the simplicity of WC. Again, this is from memory - he might have been talking about Kung Fu generically.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Page 1 of 16 1 234511 ... LastLast