Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 7:35pm

Style: Karate, Ruku Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Changing a McDojo through kids?

So my original studio has gone McDojo. Man, I hate saying that. This was the place where I got a Black Belt after six years, and that was when I was in class around twenty hours a week. Now, they're pumping students through in two-three years. Also, they have a "Little Dragons" program from five to seven year olds.

Upon my return to the studio, I was offered to take over the children's program for the summer. I took the job, seeing how I didn't have any other job set up for the summer. Unfortunately, like I already stated, it's now a McDojo. Half the kid's classtime seems to be jumping over Blastmaster pads or playing dodgeball (to work reflects).

My question is: Does anyone know good traditional training drills that work for kids?

I have been coming up with a better curriculum for them and lots of drills, but I figure there's no harm in stealing some of your guy's ideas.

Thanks for your time. Please don't flame because I took up a job at a McDojo. I hope I can help turn it back, or at least make the children's program less of a joke.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 7:39pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a karate class right? Do kata.

Have the kids try to do the kata in time with each other. This way they have to pay attention to what is going on around them and it is a challanging game. "Little johny did a kick instead of rising block number 6, he sits down." Sort of like simon says.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've come to the right place. Kids classes are my specialty. First of all no matter what you do it has to remain FUN or they won't come back. Fun =/= BS. As Askari said, make drills and such into games. I often times have the kids do bagwork. Now bagwork can be boring. So what do I do? I have them try to execute proper kicks and when they do they push me backwards. If they don't kick properly I either don't move or I move forward on them if I know they can do better. They have a blast and eventually they are throwing proper and hard kicks to drive me back. Once they get that down I let them do a sort of race with that, trying to push me and another instructor across the dojo.

Lots of focus mit work is good too. Make them duck and bob and weave while throwing punches to make it a game. If they get "bonked" by the pad then they have to give you jumping jacks.

If your style has kata, then the suggestion above is excellent.

A big thing is to make them play games that actually ARE building skills (not dodgeball, although dodgeball as a treat for a well-behaved or above-par class is fine) One game I play is the "blocking game" where I use the large foam blockers to swing at them. I have them line up in front and back of me, and they have to pay attention and execute blocks on the oncomming swings. If they get hit in the head/torso/thigh then they either do jumping jacks or sit down elimination style.

Another one I do is quite aptly called the "boxing game" where I tell them that I am a bad guy (could be evil ninja/pirate/samurai/whatever character that would wield a sword I can think of that will make them laugh) and attack them in a more live situation with the blocker while they wear boxing gloves (could substitute for sparring gloves but little kids like oversized gloves on them) and tell them that for this game the gloves will give them super strength to beat me up. I then attack them with the blocker and they have to cover/block/evade/fade to not get hit. If they are hit then they give me jumping jacks (usually 5) but if they hit me with their punches (remember these are super-strength gloves) then they quite literally blow me backwards or sometimes clear off my feet. The kids have a blast, while they also build good habits in movement, striking, and defending.

Sometimes I'll play the above game with gloves on myself making them block actual strikes, but at the young ages (5-7) they get more of a kick out of the blocker because I can do flashy "swordwork." To me it's teaching them the bear basics, and keeping them comming back until they're older and I can actually start to teach them stuff.

Whatever you do, good luck man.

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    It's a karate class right? Do kata.

Have the kids try to do the kata in time with each other. This way they have to pay attention to what is going on around them and it is a challanging game. "Little johny did a kick instead of rising block number 6, he sits down." Sort of like simon says.
    i actually have to agree, forms are good for getting kids to understand basic punching machanics and foot work, if they cant do a prearanged pattern then they sure as hell cant spar, and then they sure as hell wont be able to fight.

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 12:38pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, undermining a Mcdojo by teaching there and showing the kid's real fighting skill's? How ninja-like. Learn some grappling and knife and stick work. Start showing it to the kids. Do as much as you can in a very obviously PC environment.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 5:08pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I should add, dont talk to the parents about fighting. They get freaked out. (Yes I have made that mistake)

Talk to the parents about self-development and self-defence.

KenpoFist, if I ever have to teach kids again, I will be posting questions to you. Great stuff.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smack the little buggers around and when they cry yell

"Crying is for the WEAK!"

Kids love that

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 6:38pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget to offer a class in the "Klingon pain stick." (Cattleprod.)

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    5/04/2006 10:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dojo has a kids program I'm asking my teacher about it just out of curiosoty.