Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 12:53pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

when its time to go its time to go.

This thread is mainly about leaving a dojo/jang or gym.

I've been thinking a lot about it lately, and I feel i really want to branch out into different Martial art training opposed from my TKD, and others. I'm looking into Judo which upon sitting in on a few classes doesn't look like bullshido. Now my predicament is, I don't want to leave my current dojang with any bad blood. I've got a few good friends out of the one I'm at, and pretty good training as well. Any advice out there?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 1:08pm

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just tell them the truth. You want to try some other stuff. There's nothing wrong with crosstraining and encourage them to do the same. What Judo dojo did you go to?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 1:25pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this one next to my home town, the sensei's first name is Ray, i don't know his last name, but apparently he was very good. he's 6th dan and his Dojo seems very less formal then my KMA dojang.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 1:28pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one art is for everyone, and you can just say you've found something that suits your interest more. You can leave the school with out denigrating your experience there.

software engineer

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you asking because you've seen past bad experiences with people leaving? Because you feel like it might go over badly with the management?
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, if you tell them the truth (that you want to try some other stuff) in a respectful manner, and they take it badly, then take that as a sign that they aren't the type of people you want to be involved to begin with.

No need to burn the bridge if you want to try judo or anything else for that matter. And even it things go sour with the management, that's no reason to stop being friends with the other students in the dojang. If you really feel bad, you can always lie and tell them you need to take care of other stuff, blah, blah. I know, lying is not the best thing, but sometimes a little white lie here and there is a good way to avoid ackward moments with people who take departures waaaayyy too personally.

Sometimes lying, even if it's stupid and more appropriate for teenagers, is much better than going through unnecessary drama :XXpuke:

Good luck mang!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 9:30pm

Style: RecoveringChun'r(BJJ+MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just stopped going to mine, although I need to contact them within the week to tell them what's up - I feel it would be really disrespectful not to, I still don't know how to tell my sifu. Doing MMA+BJJ now and i'll never go back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 9:40pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kxfour
    I just stopped going to mine, although I need to contact them within the week to tell them what's up - I feel it would be really disrespectful not to, I still don't know how to tell my sifu. Doing MMA+BJJ now and i'll never go back.
    I'm assuming your Sifu is an adult and not a small child. Tell um straight up and be done with it.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 10:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    99 times out of a 100 honesty is the best policy. Tell them your training goals have changed. I cannot count the number of times I've seen a lie someone told, to soften a blow, come back later to bite them in the ass.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if they dont support cross training then they think that thier art is complete, however i dont beleive that any martial art is complete so that means they are BULLSHIDO
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast