Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 9:20pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Seven
    It makes sense to imagine the worst possible scenario.
    If you assume that when you get into a street fight you will be against a MMA fighter with good stamina, skill, agressivness etc and you train to beat him, you will have an easier time if its someone without fighting experience, its pretty logical.

Of course that by possible scenario I'm including actual possible things to overcome, if you get weapons in the equation then its a diferent story.

Hey, I'm always imagining the worst scenario...which makes me highly unpopular in certain circles(pain in the ass), because I'm the one who asks the questions. Nowadays I imagine that I'm grappling with a huge ass bouncer from some nightclub...arms like my legs and legs like my chest trying to rip my head off.

Oh...and one time a guy, that I assume was a bjj/vale tudo fighter pulled his fists up just because I moved too fast in a fast food joint at 2am. He should cut on the caffeine.

As pessoas estão muito tensas em Portugal!:XX3d:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 9:35pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peng, you do know that BJJ was designed as a self defense art originally. Sport BJJ does not equal all of BJJ. Most of the gracies that are fighting today have gotten into plenty of fights, although I'm not sure about multiple opponents. I doubt anyone here would tell you going to the ground against multiple opponents is a good thing, but going to the ground when you know it's just one guy is probably the best thing you can do provided you know how to grapple and he doesn't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 9:52pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing wrong with BJJ is the practical application, i.e. street grappling. For one it really hurts to roll on asphault, but the possibility of you're opponant having a knife or other weapon is very high and it's very easy to have it used against you when trying to mount or use any of it at all.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 11:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    3) Learning a martial art is different than training to fight.

Does anyone have any footage available of BJJ and similar arts against multiple opponents, outside of an arena bout?
    Regarding your first comment: This is antithetical to what the vast majority of members here believe.

Regarding the second sentence quoted: Holee ****. 1999 called, it wants its' discussion topic back.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:44pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu-Ramma
    The only thing wrong with BJJ is the practical application, i.e. street grappling. For one it really hurts to roll on asphault, but the possibility of you're opponant having a knife or other weapon is very high and it's very easy to have it used against you when trying to mount or use any of it at all.

The grappler still has the advantage. A good grappler is the master of the takedown as well. That means he takes you down, YOU hit the asphalt and he ends up mounted on top of you.

Even in a multiple-opponent scenario, going to the ground isn't necessarily bad. Sure, you're tied up, but really, how many of the guys friends are going to be able to kick/stomp you without stomping their friend as well? Where are your friends? Shouldn't they be helping?

And more importantly -- what in God's name caused you to think that you could take on more than 1-2 people at a time? That's stupid, no matter who you are. If attacked, period, you should attempt to escape. The use of force in self-defense should be an absolute, last resort.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:50pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    The grappler still has the advantage. A good grappler is the master of the takedown as well. That means he takes you down, YOU hit the asphalt and he ends up mounted on top of you.

Even in a multiple-opponent scenario, going to the ground isn't necessarily bad. Sure, you're tied up, but really, how many of the guys friends are going to be able to kick/stomp you without stomping their friend as well? Where are your friends? Shouldn't they be helping?

And more importantly -- what in God's name caused you to think that you could take on more than 1-2 people at a time? That's stupid, no matter who you are. If attacked, period, you should attempt to escape. The use of force in self-defense should be an absolute, last resort.
    Agreed, no time to try to be a hero when you put your own life at stake for pride. Oh and the rolling on the ground thing, though you won't be the one hurt by the asphault, it's still easy for them to unleash a weapon on your unexpecting ass, I had a friend sneak a pen out of his pocket and get me in the back, it sucks...

I'm still gunna learn BJJ, I just think that striking would be best for practical application, you can pucnh'em in the face and runw here as it'd be harder to escape whilst rolling on the floor with them.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 11:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Bjj/Machado/Pittman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from my own ill fated experience with TKD vs Judo, (or even football tackle vs TKD) it does not take long for someone to take you down and choke you out/disable you if you have no grappling experience. It is also extremely shocking to hit the ground that hard with another person crashing on top of you. I was on a mat in a dojo, if it had been a street fight the Judoka would have disabled me within 30 seconds. If you watch early UFC, even badass strikers with no ground experience just go deer in headlights when they get taken down.

I think some people are forgetting that in a street scenario the grappling is not going to be a 2 hour guard fight, it is most likely going to be the grappler taking his opponent down with extreme force (that might end the fight right there) and then applying a choke into unconsciousness or breaking a limb in a very short amount of time.

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 3:32am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, no. There's plenty of room for a good boot party.

It's not always a matter of choice.

But despite this, if you don't realistically know how to cover on the ground, you'll be in worse shape anyway, and MMA is responsible for bringing these skills to the fore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:02am

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Regarding your first comment: This is antithetical to what the vast majority of members here believe.

Regarding the second sentence quoted: Holee ****. 1999 called, it wants its' discussion topic back.
    Just because the vast majority believes otherwise don't make it so.

Being prepared to fight and training to fight are different.

So, in 7 years we haven't been able to produce any documentary footage of BJJ outside the Octagon, Rex?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:07am

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You've never seen a street fight, I take it?

Experience. When you've got one guy cutting off your exit and two more attempting to cut off your balls, you've got to do something more than just run in circles. Your attack should ideally disable or distract them long enough to make a getaway. A pencil or pocketknife in the thigh does the trick quite nicely.

Any half-decent martial artist should be able to master an untrained or street-experienced fighter to the point where they can put that fighter between them and the other opponents. If not, then your art is useless.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234