He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jzs
    Your story was not compelling, especially to those who have successfully used their martial art in real situations already. :)

If you're saying to study MMA because you'll never know when you'll go to a bar, get drunk, pester people, and have multiple opponents attack you... I'm wonder why can't someone just avoid that situation entirely by not being a stupid ***hole at a bar?

Let's see another version of the story, where the person is a BJJer, it is multiple opponents, the fight does go to the ground, and one opponent tangles him up, while the other one soccer kicks him all day.
    Why is it in your stories the MMA and BJJ guys are both the ones that want to start **** all alone?When in reality any one of these guys would be the most calm, zen individuals sitting in the bar.:love6:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 9:31am

Style: aikido, taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow
    If that happens then the person is going to have problems, regardless of the style.
    Yup.

But I'd say a BJJ'er would be better off than a Tai Chi guy in the situation.
    Nope. All styles would be toast in that situation I'm guessing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 9:32am

Style: aikido, taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Why is it in your stories the MMA and BJJ guys are both the ones that want to start **** all alone?When in reality any one of these guys would be the most calm, zen individuals sitting in the bar.
    I don't see you complaining in his scenario when the wing chun practicioner drank too much and started ***t.

Of course, fighters on TUF getting drunk, doing immature things, rabble-rousing, Penn allegedly blind-side punching a police officer at a nightclub, Rutten's irresonsible video that teaches to shatter someone's knee merely because they called your wife a name and strike someone repeadetly beacuse they merely wanted your seat.... yeah... how could one possibly think that MMAers would be the ones starting trouble????
    Last edited by jzs; 5/28/2006 10:22am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 11:12am

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see you complaining in his scenario when the wing chun practicioner drank too much and started ***t.

Of course, fighters on TUF getting drunk, doing immature things, rabble-rousing, Penn allegedly blind-side punching a police officer at a nightclub, Rutten's irresonsible video that teaches to shatter someone's knee merely because they called your wife a name and strike someone repeadetly beacuse they merely wanted your seat.... yeah... how could one possibly think that MMAers would be the ones starting trouble????

Actually those Bas Rutten movies were meant to be funny

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What you just described is found in any aspect of sport.Football,basketball,and now MMA.While I don't condone it.While I have not seen the episode(s),I can imagine it happened.But I have to ask you.how did the Penn team mates (those other MMA goons who did not go out,got drunk and punched cops)feel about his acrions?

Genius

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jzs has some retarded idea that martial arts should teach people how to behave as well. So, when he sees the (encouraged) drama and idiocy in TUF shows, he thinks it's a product of poor martial arts training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 3:47pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What' old is new!

The problem with view of TMAís today is most folks see them as an effective form of self defense, and some are Muay Thai, Judo (if it taught complete with ground techniques and not in itís **** competitive form), jujitsu to name a few. But the problem is most traditional schools are just places to practice aesthetic pleasing forms of ancient self defense that worked for monks or Samurai, but are complete ineffective for the average person. However, truth is the MMA practiced in UFC, Pride, etc. is far closer to the ancient system of pankration, which predates the vast majority of Asian martial arts. Now I am not talking about this Chomrac Bas horse dung that ole Clugston pitches. I am gathering this hypothesis from bronze statues and other artwork that depicted roman combat. So, one could argue the MMA we see today is actually a traditional martial art that is also highly effective for some people.
    However, UFC style fighting is not the best thing for average people to learn to defend themselves. Yes, the ground techniques of BJJ, wrestling, and Judo are absolute necessities and the stand up skill of boxing and MT are a must, but a housewife jumped in the parking lot of Albertsonís does not have time to roll around with a mugger. Yes, she needs to know the guard, the mount, a jab, a cross, etc. But, what if there is more than one guy, will training at an MMA school really get her anymore ready than a TMA school? Perhaps a little in terms of conditioning, but it still does not address knife wielding foes or the guy with a gun.
    I think some people on here need to accept the fact the TMAís are not going away nor are the MMAís. Therefore, what we need to do is concentrate on BULLSHIDO and maybe start looking at ways to fill the gaps in all arts.
    :glasses9:

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 7:51pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your story was not compelling, especially to those who have successfully used their martial art in real situations already. :)

If you're saying to study MMA because you'll never know when you'll go to a bar, get drunk, pester people, and have multiple opponents attack you... I'm wonder why can't someone just avoid that situation entirely by not being a stupid ***hole at a bar?

Let's see another version of the story, where the person is a BJJer, it is multiple opponents, the fight does go to the ground, and one opponent tangles him up, while the other one soccer kicks him all day.
    In this situation, the MMAer would have his friends that went to the bar with him join in. If they were training partners, so much the better.

That's why people who do BJJ, MT, etc. don't train for multiple opponent situations: they have friends. RBSD and _ing _un practitioners do not, which is why they're so concerned with fighting 20 people at a time.
    Last edited by IzzyDaHedgehog; 5/28/2006 7:54pm at .
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/28/2006 11:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no such thing as TMA.

There's no such thing as MMA.

There's only MA done right, and then there's crap.

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 7:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup.

Nope. All styles would be toast in that situation I'm guessing.
    That's what you do about everything here - guess, because you don't actually know anything.

At least the BJJer would have some chance to extracate himself, whereas the tai chi guy would flail around a bit and get stomped because he has no skills on the ground.

Groundfighting isn't just about slapping on armbars. It's about positioning and control.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast