Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow
    But those techniques have to come from SOMEWHERE. There must be some reason that one person wants to teach it, and some reasons that one person wasn't to learn it. "People are stupid" is too broad of an explanation. It doesn't get to the specifics of exactly why the stupid people do their stupid things, and where they get their stupid techniques and training practices from.

"Why did the shuttle Challenger explode?"
    "People are stupid"

Yeah, that's true. But it doesn't actually explain what happened and why.
    you lose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:49pm

Style: Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    you lose.
    Yeah, you've done SUCH a good job of debating and explaining yourself. "People are stupid." Wow, that's really good. :icon_roll

Try this: Stupid people do techniques that are ineffective, because those techniques are part of some sort of tradition. The stupid people do not ask for any sort of evidence that the techniques and training practices are effective. They simply rely on tradition to tell them that they must work.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But those techniques have to come from SOMEWHERE. There must be some reason that one person wants to teach it, and some reasons that one person wasn't to learn it. "People are stupid" is too broad of an explanation. It doesn't get to the specifics of exactly why the stupid people do their stupid things, and where they get their stupid techniques and training practices from.

"Why did the shuttle Challenger explode?"
    "People are stupid"

Yeah, that's true. But it doesn't actually explain what happened and why.
    The challenger exploded because a lot of smart people (yes, smart people) were pressured again and again and again by a myriad of reasons beyond their control (budgets, deadlines) to cut corners. Eventually something was bound to break... and then **** happened.

People believe in no-touch punches, chi blast and kata/form ballets because they are idiots who believe in the supernatural and pay no attention to the laws of physics, anatomy, or just plain fucking common sense.

Notice that there are naive people who take classes with those charlatans out of ignorance. They cannot possibly believe, in their own naive minds, that their sensei is a charlatan or someone who actually believes in shitty non-sense.

But the people who stay there and actually learn that ****, and spend years and years making a career of it by teaching that **** to other stupid people (or just plain ignorant people who don't know better), those are stupid.

I mean, there is nothing else in there. They are just stupid. Period.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you've done SUCH a good job of debating and explaining yourself. "People are stupid." Wow, that's really good. :icon_roll

Try this: Stupid people do techniques that are ineffective, because those techniques are part of some sort of tradition. The stupid people do not ask for any sort of evidence that the techniques and training practices are effective. They simply rely on tradition to tell them that they must work.
    They believe tradition == legitimacy. We all fall for that one at one time or another. But, to stay there and never rub a couple of neurons together to realize "****, this no-touch punches make no sense with the laws of physics and human anatomy".

I'm sorry, but for someone to stay there, and rationalize that **** until he/she believes it as firmly as the motion of the Moon around the Earth, you have to be incredibly stupid... and dishonest to yourself, or to others if you decide to teach it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    The challenger exploded because a lot of smart people (yes, smart people) were pressured again and again and again by a myriad of reasons beyond their control (budgets, deadlines) to cut corners. Eventually something was bound to break... and then **** happened.
    The engineers were smart. They even tried to stop the launch. The managers at Morton Thiocol and NASA were stupid, and insisted on launching in that weather.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The engineers were smart. They even tried to stop the launch. The managers at Morton Thiocol and NASA were stupid, and insisted on launching in that weather.
    you lose again

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    They believe tradition == legitimacy. We all fall for that one at one time or another. But, to stay there and never rub a couple of neurons together to realize "****, this no-touch punches make no sense with the laws of physics and human anatomy".

I'm sorry, but for someone to stay there, and rationalize that **** until he/she believes it as firmly as the motion of the Moon around the Earth, you have to be incredibly stupid... and dishonest to yourself, or to others if you decide to teach it.
    Exactly. The stupid people do their stupid stuff, because some tradition tells them it is the right thing to do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    you lose again
    Maybe instead of just saying "you lose", and looking all cool and tough and stuff, you could try in the future explaining what you mean. You know...to like, have a conversation and debate and stuff.

P.S. Remember hearing about the quote from the conference call, the night before the launch? "Take off your engineering hat, and put on your manager hat." That change of perspective influenced his vote.
    Last edited by Freakshow; 5/30/2006 1:05pm at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 1:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe instead of just saying "you lose", and looking all cool and tough and stuff, you could try in the future explaining what you mean. You know...to like, have a conversation and debate and stuff.
    no thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 1:41pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    It's a concept created by your mind to describe reality, an attempt to classify things that ultimately fails. I've seen several different definitions of TMA, and they all end up having so many exceptions to them that they are functionally useless. Hence, it is a false dichotomy.
    Has anyone ever founded a school of martial arts and said "wow, this new set of techniques I've put together sure is traditional!"? I don't think so:

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...warticle&id=29

Therefore if "TMA" does exist it's a label attatched to the art after that art has become static and is decaying.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314 LastLast