Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Bjj/Machado/Pittman
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training Every day, is it healthy and viable?

I recently started training BJJ and am really enjoying it. For the past 2 weeks I've been training everyday for 1-3 hours 5 days a week. I figured in highschool the wrestling team trains everyday, the football team etc... so it wouldn't be too terrible an idea. Many of my classmates are surprised I go everyday and I'm worried I might be pushing too hard.

I'm 19 and in pretty good shape, but I'm afraid 5 day training might cause harm. Does anyone have experience with everyday training and can give me some advice?

PS: If this is a repeat, please link the thread I tried a search and got nothing.

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You question can be answered with another question: how do you feel?

If you feel physically and mentally fine with training 5 days a week, then do it.

If you're sick or injured, take a couple days off. It's important to be healthy when you train.

Just make sure that your training doesn't get in the way of more important responsiblities (i.e. mealticket, paying bills, etc.).

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at 19, the biggest problem with training every day is burning out.

Style
    Bjj/Machado/Pittman
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far burning out isn't looking likely, I still look forward to training everyday and giggle like a little japanese school girl when I roll. I have noticed some soreness and stiffness in the morning but it goes away as I get about the day so I guess as long as nothing starts really aching or losing freedom of motion I'll be Ok.

One thing I forgot to mention is I'm only doing this for 4 months, when I get back to school I will probably not have time to train all the time (ha ha).

I feel like this may be the last time in my life when I have limited responsibility and enough freedom to really practice 100% without many outside issues. I just dont want to hurt myself and waste 4 months recovering instead of training.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestlers and Football players have "off seasons" to recuperate and rehab the injuries sustained during the season.

Rolling everyday does not provide your body enough time to recover from the hyperextentions, torn muscles, and twisted ligaments that are sure to come.

careful not to burn yourself out.

Style
    Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as you're not injured, getting enough sleep, and have a good diet there's no reason why you can't train everyday. If something is bothering you, let's say your right elbow or something, take it easy on that arm but you can still train other stuff that doesn't involve that injured limb. Though, you should give yourself a day off occasionally.

Style
    Bjj/Machado/Pittman
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm good point about off season, forgot about that. If I did 3 days off 4 days training, would that allow recovery time?

When I did Tang Soo Do it was 2 days a week, but that always felt like too little. I swam every day when I was on the highschool team but thats pretty low impact and I doubt its applicable to something like Bjj.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think every other day is a pretty good regimen.

Only pro fighters need to train every day, IMHO.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If everything is feeling good (physically and mentally), keep it up. If not, cut back for a couple weeks. The more mat time you get as a white belt, the faster you'll "get it."
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolutely nothing wrong with training 5 days a week- you're not training for two of those days.

Avoid overtraining by eating healthy (and alot) getting lots of sleep, and taking the proper vitamin supplements.

Training 5 days a week will also be taxing on your muscles and ligaments, so be sure that you give yourself enough time to warm up prior to training, or else the injuries are more likely to set in

Page 1 of 2 12 Last