Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 11:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Mix of Martial Arts is not Mixed Martial Arts.

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 11:59pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    A Mix of Martial Arts is not Mixed Martial Arts.
    Wait for the vocabulary lawyers to show up. You're gonna be sorry you said this.

Whatever MMA's past definition used to be, it is fairly goddamned clear what it means nowadays. Saying you do MMA when you really mean that you crosstrain is intellectually dishonest. Unless you are completely ignorant of today's cannotations for MMA, you should have your nutsack stomped on for claiming you do MMA if you do not, in fact, train for the common Mixed Martial Arts rulesets.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 5:30am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have done WC for many years, and now I use MMA to teach me how to apply WC properly... there are heaps of analogous bits in WC to MMA. It only makes WC better

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 5:33am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    I have done WC for many years, and now I use MMA to teach me how to apply WC properly... there are heaps of analogous bits in WC to MMA. It only makes WC better
    Alive training tends to do that . . .

Care to share any videos?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 6:15am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WC has some very vaild techniques and theory. Only problem is, they fucked up badly somewhere along the line.

Good: Center line concept. Bad: Their application is basically non-existant. Weak chain punches? Chi sao? Thats not application, thats just stupid.

Good: Chain Punching Concept. Bad: Over Emphasis of speed over power. What you're left with is a bunch of slaps. The theory is, you attack so much that the opponent has now way to block. Why block when all your doing is irritating me? The Victor vs. Wanderlei match is a great example of chain punching applied properly. why can't WC learn something from this?

Good: Valid Trapping Techniques. Bad: Again, you barely even see them use this. I've seen Wing Chun trapping that makes most MT clinches look like a hug. But... Sticky hands are more important.

Thats just the tip of the ice-berg. As long as wing chun-ners decide to continue on their current path and allow WC to deteriorate the way it has been for the past few decades or so then fine... Your loss... not mine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 7:06am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Alive training tends to do that . . .

Care to share any videos?
    I've got no WC ones to show at this stage. Me and a friend hope to do a few fairly soon, and I put those up here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 12:58pm

Style: BJJ, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with mixing in Wing Chun techniques. At its heart, all martial arts is a system of techniques and strategies. Its just that some systems have more higher percentage techniques than others.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 1:24pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While it is a great idea to mix traditional with MMA (both tend to have radically different ideas, but are part of the same debate), this guy is still an idiot:
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSamurai
    However he still claims that "teh real WC is too deadly for MMA" and when he spars he actually sometimes uses the retarded WC stance and starts doing some bullshit Kung Fu. When I tell him its not working he says "yeah, well it takes at least 10 years to become good at KF. KickBoxing just takes shorter to master"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 1:34pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSamurai
    There are some succesfull MMA fighters out there who still stick to their traditional style, of course they learn a lot of other stuff, but still remain in the stance of their traditional style (Ryo Chonan does karate for an example). Is that just silly stubborness, they still canīt face it that their **** doesnīt work even though they know it themselves better than anyone else?
    It could be alot of things. An unhealthy respect for (pointless) tradition mixed with the athletic ability to fight essentially with a handicap sounds like the most probable situation. Of course, if I were a world-class martial artist, I think it would be funny to still kick serious ass from less than useful stances. On your way to the top, use what works best. When you are on the top, use whatever you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 1:51pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy
    Of course, if I were a world-class martial artist, I think it would be funny to still kick serious ass from less than useful stances.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast