4/30/2006 6:07pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chicago Tribune on Machine Gun Event in Knob Creek

http://concealcarry.org/2006/04/chic...reek-boom.html

Excerpt from the article:

His father was a World War II veteran who joined the D-Day invasion and was fired upon by German snipers. The enemies' weapon? It was, he says, an MG-42 machine gun -- one of which Richardson now owns, and from which, when he aims and fires it, spent cartridges pop and drop in an agitated spray. "Being here," Richardson adds, "is like a history lesson."

Of the 24 guns he owns -- including three M-16s and two AK-47s -- Richardson brought nine to the show, toting them in a small trailer. Along with the MG-42, there's a Browning 30-caliber machine gun and a Taurus 45-caliber pistol. There's also a gun that, Richardson notes, "made your city [Chicago] famous": a Thompson sub-machine gun, nicknamed the Tommy gun, reputedly the gangster's best friend.

The guns are pretty, but the politics aren't. To walk around the machine-gun shoot is to thrash your way through an angry forest of strongly held opinions, channeled through T-shirts and bumper stickers: "I Got a Gun for My Wife -- Best Trade I Ever Made" and "`Vegetarian' Is Just an Old Indian Word for `Lousy Hunter' " and "If You Know How Many Guns You Have, You Don't Have Enough" and "If Guns Kill People, Then Spoons Made Rosie O'Donnell Fat."

Because of the incendiary politics on both sides, a gun show apparently can't ever simply be about the beauty of guns -- and they are beautiful, particularly the lovingly maintained arsenal of a serious collector such as Richardson. Few issues in American life are more complicated, contentious and polarizing than citizen possession of firearms; it makes the abortion debate seem like an afternoon tea.

Gun laws vary widely from state to state. In about half the states, in places such as Kentucky, Oregon and many Southern states -- but not in Illinois -- people with the proper permits and who operate under safe and controlled conditions can own and use automatic weapons, as long as those weapons weren't made or imported after 1986, a cutoff point mandated by federal law.

That makes vintage machine guns all the more valuable. A Tommy gun can set you back $30,000 to $40,000; some Browning and Maxim machine guns can garner more than $100,000. Getting permission to own a machine gun involves a two-to-four-month process, Richardson notes. "A lot of people have the misconception, through Hollywood movies and such, that you can walk into a store and buy a machine gun and walk out. But it requires paperwork, fingerprints, photographs, all this stuff. A complete check is done on you. I don't mind jumping through all the hoops to own these particulars guns -- as long as it's never taken away from me."
    My reaction: I heard the fact from other threads in this forum that you can own an automatic if it was made before 1986 along with some checks, etc., but I'm astounded that people would pay $100K for a gun. That astonishment also goes along with the issue of people paying $100K for a car.

Sounds like the reporter got converted to the cause.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After you pay for something like a mini-gun, don't forget--you gotta buy the ammo!

Rich boys' toys, for sure. There are people out there for whom $100,000 spent on a toy is not a big deal. I'll never be there . . . . but oh, well.

I used to tell my friends that I would probably never buy a Corvette, but it made me feel good to know they were out there. :)

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:49pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    I used to tell my friends that I would probably never buy a Corvette, but it made me feel good to know they were out there. :)
    Beautifully put.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A minigun would make you a goddamn sexual tyranasaurus, just like Blain

Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:53pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Baby, I already am.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:59pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the article makes an ok case for justifying why people have and should continue being allowed to have a machine gun.

Certainly, reading the threads here has opened my eyes more for that and other gun-related topics.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve, you know we can rent those here, right? Probably nowhere in Cook County, but not that far from you. And Wisconsin and Indiana both allow NFA ownership.

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 1:04am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In other news: Knob Creek is excellent bourbon.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Steve
    http://concealcarry.org/2006/04/chic...reek-boom.html

Excerpt from the article:

My reaction: I heard the fact from other threads in this forum that you can own an automatic if it was made before 1986 along with some checks, etc., but I'm astounded that people would pay $100K for a gun. That astonishment also goes along with the issue of people paying $100K for a car.

Sounds like the reporter got converted to the cause.
    Yeah a Tommy gun will set you back some.... But an AK important before 1986 only cost as much as a used car.... So ... dream high... Then shop wisely

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 10:10am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    A minigun would make you a goddamn sexual tyranasaurus, just like Blain

Vulcan Raven > *
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast