Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    Are you saying that the situation, and not the practicioner, determines the strategy?
    Pretty much, that's a tenet in the art of war. The best strategists are the ones who choses the situation, time and place of battle. Think Napoleon or Alexander...

... in essence, a good practitioner will strive to chose those strategies from among the ones he knows that will give him the best chance to win a confrontation in a given situation. The extreme opposite of that is the practitioner who just tries to wing it...

... in that case, if all we have is a hammer, and all we know is how to swing it, then everything begins to look like a nail.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 2:59pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Greece and DCS, ruining my old Judo dreams again. You guys didnt have the judo coach who yelled "The counter to O-Soto-Gari is O-Soto-Gari"?

Still like the throw - though highest percentage for gi-competition is probably elnyka's avatar: uchi-mata.
    Last edited by Askari; 4/30/2006 3:01pm at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 3:00pm

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Pretty much, that's a tenet in the art of war. The best strategists are the ones who choses the situation, time and place of battle. Think Napoleon or Alexander...

... in essence, a good practitioner will strive to chose those strategies from among the ones he knows that will give him the best chance to win a confrontation in a given situation. The extreme opposite of that is the practitioner who just tries to wing it...

... in that case, if all we have is a hammer, and all we know is how to swing it, then everything begins to look like a nail.
    Wise words, indeed.

Go Rin No Sho teaches not to prefer any one weapon over another. To die with a weapon undrawn is stupid.

I just realized that I'm likely to be within a couple hours drive from you next winter. I must keep this information in mind.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Thanks Greece and DCS, ruining my old Judo dreams again. You guys didnt have the judo coach who yelled "The counter to O-Soto-Gari is O-Soto-Gari"?

Still like the throw - though highest percentage for gi-competition is probably elnyka's avatar: uchi-mata.
    BTW, my avatar is a scan from the front cover of my fav judo book - The Secrets of Judo by Jiichi Watanabe and Lindy Avakian :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    You guys didnt have the judo coach who yelled "The counter to O-Soto-Gari is O-Soto-Gari"?
    Not Judo (Euro Jiu Jitsu, but coach had a lot of Judo under his belt) but yes, i've been always told the same.

And don't blame me, blame "t3h intherweb" :)

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Judo doesn't work on the str33t hanibal. Didn't ninjitsu teach you anything?

Judo doesn't work on the street ?

All that hard athletic training, all that sparring against Judoka who are on both State and National teams. It's all useless.

Why the **** didn't you tell me this before ? !!!!

*Holds head in hands*

What have I done ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:22pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bet you wish you had stuck to dead patterns in tabi now, don't you!

Now prepare for the Return of the Face Punch of Doom!
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is useless on the street because it is 'the gentle way', whereas the street is rough. Also, you don't wear a gi on the street. Simple.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:33pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    Also, you don't wear a gi on the street. Simple.
    Who doesn't wear their gi on the street?
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:36pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I wear mine, but all the street thugs don't. Many I time have I attempted a simple hiza garuma and found myself snatching in vain at a t-shirt. Once they counter with a street variant of seoi-nage, I am doomed.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast