--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to hit people when I spar...

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 2:45pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a video the other day, Georg Klooney it appears is really a doctor. I saw him save a life in an E.R.

Because everything you see on video must be fucking true.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I repeat: it was an improvised demo for the cameras ... noone wanted to hit anyone at all, quite the opposite ... you don't want to turn a cheesy family TV show in a fight!

TKD champion fights in TKD championships - sport TKD is a poor MA perhaps, but nonetheless full contact with KOs.

Shi Xing Hong - 20+ years of full time training including plenty of sanda fighting and conditioning.

Therefore both could fight, Shi Xing Hong rather very well (sanda is a far more complete fighting system than sport TKD, and SXH is a great all-around martial artist).

C

PS: to TehDeadlyDimMak

At Shaolin most full-time students do a basic study curriculum that is made up of conditioning, athletic training, forms, qi gong, sanda, buddism. Then towards their mid-teens they start to specialize in specific areas.
    Shi Xing Hong specialized in forms and sanda, and is quite a fighter.
    Another truly fighting monk is Shi Yan Lei who lives in the UK now, winner of many sanda championships in China.

Photos: 33rd generation Shaolin Monk Shi Yan Lei

Him and Shi YanZi (the other monk living in the UK) now coach several UK sanda and kickboxing champs I believe.

These are just some examples: plenty of Shaolin monks have done serious fighting and can fight, just many don't "advertise it" as the flashy forms seem to interest people more. Also the more religious ones often as they mature feel that the fighting they did in their youth should now be replaced by more spiritual pursuits.

C
    Last edited by chinpau; 5/06/2006 3:25pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 3:24pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chinpau
    I repeat: it was an improvised demo for the cameras ... noone wanted to hit anyone at all, quite the opposite ... you don't want to turn a cheesy family TV show in a fight!
    Point proven. Thank you for your assistance.

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 3:43pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what the monks can't doo well? ****.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 4:26pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahaha

Derauslander will be here shortly to defend his fuckitude

The monk in that video looks like he COULD fight if he wanted to, at least to me.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 4:30pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKD champion fights in TKD championships - sport TKD is a poor MA perhaps, but nonetheless full contact with KOs.

Shi Xing Hong - 20+ years of full time training including plenty of sanda fighting and conditioning.

Therefore both could fight, Shi Xing Hong rather very well (sanda is a far more complete fighting system than sport TKD, and SXH is a great all-around martial artist).

C

PS: to TehDeadlyDimMak

At Shaolin most full-time students do a basic study curriculum that is made up of conditioning, athletic training, forms, qi gong, sanda, buddism. Then towards their mid-teens they start to specialize in specific areas.
    Shi Xing Hong specialized in forms and sanda, and is quite a fighter.
    Another truly fighting monk is Shi Yan Lei who lives in the UK now, winner of many sanda championships in China.

Photos: 33rd generation Shaolin Monk Shi Yan Lei

Him and Shi YanZi (the other monk living in the UK) now coach several UK sanda and kickboxing champs I believe.

These are just some examples: plenty of Shaolin monks have done serious fighting and can fight, just many don't "advertise it" as the flashy forms seem to interest people more. Also the more religious ones often as they mature feel that the fighting they did in their youth should now be replaced by more spiritual pursuits.

C
    Out of curiosity is it normal for a Shoalin Monk to specialize in Sanda?

From what I've seen I would expect the answer to be no, but clearly you've shown exceptions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 4:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, they tend to specialize in a couple of things each.

Today they all have one "compulsory" specialty, forms, and the second is usually either qi gong or sanda.

Out of all the kids that do the general training and that then are selected to enter the temple let's say roughly that 60% specialize in forms and qigong, 30% in forms and sanda, whilst 10% devote themselves completely to buddist studies.

Generally speaking however they all get basic training in everything (basic in relative terms given that they do nothing else all day from age 7-8), then around mid-teens they specialize, so they all do some sanda fighting at least in their youth.

C

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 3:27am

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    hahaha

Derauslander will be here shortly to defend his fuckitude

The monk in that video looks like he COULD fight if he wanted to, at least to me.
    My point, precisely.l

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 3:44am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, they tend to specialize in a couple of things each.

Today they all have one "compulsory" specialty, forms, and the second is usually either qi gong or sanda.

Out of all the kids that do the general training and that then are selected to enter the temple let's say roughly that 60% specialize in forms and qigong, 30% in forms and sanda, whilst 10% devote themselves completely to buddist studies.

Generally speaking however they all get basic training in everything (basic in relative terms given that they do nothing else all day from age 7-8), then around mid-teens they specialize, so they all do some sanda fighting at least in their youth.

C
    Please add the rest to the story to put it in perspective. So, people can put it into proper conttext.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast