Page 6 of 7 First ... 234567 Last
  1. #51
    Shaolinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    965
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to hit people when I spar...

  2. #52
    wagamichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,405
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a video the other day, Georg Klooney it appears is really a doctor. I saw him save a life in an E.R.

    Because everything you see on video must be fucking true.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    36
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I repeat: it was an improvised demo for the cameras ... noone wanted to hit anyone at all, quite the opposite ... you don't want to turn a cheesy family TV show in a fight!

    TKD champion fights in TKD championships - sport TKD is a poor MA perhaps, but nonetheless full contact with KOs.

    Shi Xing Hong - 20+ years of full time training including plenty of sanda fighting and conditioning.

    Therefore both could fight, Shi Xing Hong rather very well (sanda is a far more complete fighting system than sport TKD, and SXH is a great all-around martial artist).

    C

    PS: to TehDeadlyDimMak

    At Shaolin most full-time students do a basic study curriculum that is made up of conditioning, athletic training, forms, qi gong, sanda, buddism. Then towards their mid-teens they start to specialize in specific areas.
    Shi Xing Hong specialized in forms and sanda, and is quite a fighter.
    Another truly fighting monk is Shi Yan Lei who lives in the UK now, winner of many sanda championships in China.





    Photos: 33rd generation Shaolin Monk Shi Yan Lei

    Him and Shi YanZi (the other monk living in the UK) now coach several UK sanda and kickboxing champs I believe.

    These are just some examples: plenty of Shaolin monks have done serious fighting and can fight, just many don't "advertise it" as the flashy forms seem to interest people more. Also the more religious ones often as they mature feel that the fighting they did in their youth should now be replaced by more spiritual pursuits.

    C
    Last edited by chinpau; 5/06/2006 3:25pm at .

  4. #54
    Shaolinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    965
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chinpau
    I repeat: it was an improvised demo for the cameras ... noone wanted to hit anyone at all, quite the opposite ... you don't want to turn a cheesy family TV show in a fight!
    Point proven. Thank you for your assistance.

  5. #55
    wagamichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,405
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what the monks can't doo well? ****.

  6. #56
    JohnnyCache's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,527
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahaha

    Derauslander will be here shortly to defend his fuckitude

    The monk in that video looks like he COULD fight if he wanted to, at least to me.


  7. #57
    TehDeadlyDimMak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,198
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chinpau
    I repeat: it was an improvised demo for the cameras ... noone wanted to hit anyone at all, quite the opposite ... you don't want to turn a cheesy family TV show in a fight!

    TKD champion fights in TKD championships - sport TKD is a poor MA perhaps, but nonetheless full contact with KOs.

    Shi Xing Hong - 20+ years of full time training including plenty of sanda fighting and conditioning.

    Therefore both could fight, Shi Xing Hong rather very well (sanda is a far more complete fighting system than sport TKD, and SXH is a great all-around martial artist).

    C

    PS: to TehDeadlyDimMak

    At Shaolin most full-time students do a basic study curriculum that is made up of conditioning, athletic training, forms, qi gong, sanda, buddism. Then towards their mid-teens they start to specialize in specific areas.
    Shi Xing Hong specialized in forms and sanda, and is quite a fighter.
    Another truly fighting monk is Shi Yan Lei who lives in the UK now, winner of many sanda championships in China.





    Photos: 33rd generation Shaolin Monk Shi Yan Lei

    Him and Shi YanZi (the other monk living in the UK) now coach several UK sanda and kickboxing champs I believe.

    These are just some examples: plenty of Shaolin monks have done serious fighting and can fight, just many don't "advertise it" as the flashy forms seem to interest people more. Also the more religious ones often as they mature feel that the fighting they did in their youth should now be replaced by more spiritual pursuits.

    C
    Out of curiosity is it normal for a Shoalin Monk to specialize in Sanda?

    From what I've seen I would expect the answer to be no, but clearly you've shown exceptions.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    36
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, they tend to specialize in a couple of things each.

    Today they all have one "compulsory" specialty, forms, and the second is usually either qi gong or sanda.

    Out of all the kids that do the general training and that then are selected to enter the temple let's say roughly that 60% specialize in forms and qigong, 30% in forms and sanda, whilst 10% devote themselves completely to buddist studies.

    Generally speaking however they all get basic training in everything (basic in relative terms given that they do nothing else all day from age 7-8), then around mid-teens they specialize, so they all do some sanda fighting at least in their youth.

    C

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    406
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    hahaha

    Derauslander will be here shortly to defend his fuckitude

    The monk in that video looks like he COULD fight if he wanted to, at least to me.
    My point, precisely.l

  10. #60
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chinpau
    Hi, they tend to specialize in a couple of things each.

    Today they all have one "compulsory" specialty, forms, and the second is usually either qi gong or sanda.

    Out of all the kids that do the general training and that then are selected to enter the temple let's say roughly that 60% specialize in forms and qigong, 30% in forms and sanda, whilst 10% devote themselves completely to buddist studies.

    Generally speaking however they all get basic training in everything (basic in relative terms given that they do nothing else all day from age 7-8), then around mid-teens they specialize, so they all do some sanda fighting at least in their youth.

    C
    Please add the rest to the story to put it in perspective. So, people can put it into proper conttext.

Page 6 of 7 First ... 234567 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO