Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:09pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    Yes, I'm sure you'd whoop both his and Jet Li's ass.
    She might, she does actually train to fight, afterall...

Me? I'd almost certainly wipe the floor with them.

While I'm sure his combat skills are formidable, he's not a "tough guy" in spirit or conditioning.
    Jet Li has said straight out that he's strictly a preformer. It's his obsessive fans like you that insist he has fighting ability.

I don't believe that Jet Li has ever been capable of experiencing, much less expressing, the level of contempt for the skills of his opponent that the monk in that video conveyed.
    You still think that was real?

I don't believe it was deliberately choreographed in advance. It looks more like the monk was in strategic control of the situation from the get go and he "choreographed" it.
    I'm sorry, when two people come together to fight, at least one of them gets hit. Real fights are sloppy, that video was not. No techniques were actually thrown with intent of hitting anything and in the very beginning you can plainly see the monk dramatically "duck" a kick that was already aimed way over his head and out of range. Lucky for the monk because the kick was way past him by the time he ducked anyways.

The shaolins do all kinds of choreographed fights, they don't bother putting in a referre, and if the demonstration was prearranged, you would have thought the TKDrs would have managed to set up a better showing.
    NO ONE GOT HIT.

Think about it from the perspective of an exhibition bout between two Olympic boxers. You don't want to go all out because that increases the chance of being hurt. If it isn't for something that really counts, why risk it?
    You do realize both kidspatula and myself have participated in exebition bouts before, dont you? Hell, we've done exebition bouts with some of the top ranked womens boxers in the world. Guess what? In an exebition bout, we still hit eachother. In sparring, we hit eachother. Sometimes fairly hard. You can spar decently hard without going all out and without getting hurt.

Are you fighting as hard in your weekly sparring practice as you are in a ranking fight? Are you trying to inflict the same level of damage on your sparring partner as a tournament opponent?
    Obviously not, but we do hit eachother.

I'm not sure what would be worth the risk for a monk.
    There's not really much risk involved when neither party is trying to hit the other.

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:12pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** you buddy, you live in a fantasy world.

Even when i was training in bullshido i knew fights didnt look like that.

And buddy, im a *****, and im sure i could kick those monks asses.

rawr

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    holy **** peng is being serious. wow. my god.
    I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:36pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats what makes this thread so sad...

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 6:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peng.

Maybe you can post some footage of Shao lin Kung fu or another Kung Fu style being used in hard contact fighting. Be it sparring in a martial arts club some where or competition, where ever.

I'd like to see a monk in action.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:03pm

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    She might, she does actually train to fight, afterall...

Me? I'd almost certainly wipe the floor with them.

Jet Li has said straight out that he's strictly a preformer. It's his obsessive fans like you that insist he has fighting ability.

You still think that was real?

I'm sorry, when two people come together to fight, at least one of them gets hit. Real fights are sloppy, that video was not. No techniques were actually thrown with intent of hitting anything and in the very beginning you can plainly see the monk dramatically "duck" a kick that was already aimed way over his head and out of range. Lucky for the monk because the kick was way past him by the time he ducked anyways.

NO ONE GOT HIT.

You do realize both kidspatula and myself have participated in exebition bouts before, dont you? Hell, we've done exebition bouts with some of the top ranked womens boxers in the world. Guess what? In an exebition bout, we still hit eachother. In sparring, we hit eachother. Sometimes fairly hard. You can spar decently hard without going all out and without getting hurt.

Obviously not, but we do hit eachother.

There's not really much risk involved when neither party is trying to hit the other.
    TO be clear.

I don't think that was a REAL fight.

But I don't think it was choreographed, either.

It was just an exhibition, likely the Shaolins were touring and some Korean poo-bah thought it would be a good idea to show how superior TKD was but due to China-Korea political bullshit they didn't want to have a full match. They're holding back, but that doesn't matter.

What I'm talking about is the monk's tactics, composure, and evasive ability compared to the other guy. It wasn't even a full spar, but they were still using skill to attempt to "score" points.

I never meant to imply it was a full-speed match, but they are definitely trying to land blows, and the monk lands quite a few strikes to the ankle and knee, and could have easily landed quite a few kicks, in my opinion.

What I like about this is that, if it were a real fight, the monk would have ate his lunch in a heartbeat, and that's obvioius from the first contact they make.

When the TKDer is retreating, he's off balance, and barely escapes, while the monk is jumping and doing huge flashy kicks. One of the kicks even looks like it clipped his chin a little.

On the other hand, the TKDer is attempting fundamental, straight-forward kicks, and the monk easily evades them and counter-attacks by slapping the TKDer's feet. Even on the high kicks, the monk jumps and counter-attacks the feet.

It is NOT a full fight, but again, they're still competing for pride, and the TKDer is owned, in that respect.

The TKDer most certainly DID get hit, you may have to look close to see it, but it definitely happened. That's why I said earlier "You call yourselve martial artists but don't even realize there is a strike occuring"

Every time the TKDer tries to kick, there are two strikes occuring, one to his ankle, and the other to his knee. If that technique were executed at full speed, the TKDer would be crippled. That's all there is to it. If you don't see that it's because you don't know what you're looking at.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    TO be clear.

I don't think that was a REAL fight.

But I don't think it was choreographed, either.

It was just an exhibition, likely the Shaolins were touring and some Korean poo-bah thought it would be a good idea to show how superior TKD was but due to China-Korea political bullshit they didn't want to have a full match. They're holding back, but that doesn't matter.

What I'm talking about is the monk's tactics, composure, and evasive ability compared to the other guy. It wasn't even a full spar, but they were still using skill to attempt to "score" points.

I never meant to imply it was a full-speed match, but they are definitely trying to land blows, and the monk lands quite a few strikes to the ankle and knee, and could have easily landed quite a few kicks, in my opinion.

What I like about this is that, if it were a real fight, the monk would have ate his lunch in a heartbeat, and that's obvioius from the first contact they make.

When the TKDer is retreating, he's off balance, and barely escapes, while the monk is jumping and doing huge flashy kicks. One of the kicks even looks like it clipped his chin a little.

On the other hand, the TKDer is attempting fundamental, straight-forward kicks, and the monk easily evades them and counter-attacks by slapping the TKDer's feet. Even on the high kicks, the monk jumps and counter-attacks the feet.

It is NOT a full fight, but again, they're still competing for pride, and the TKDer is owned, in that respect.

The TKDer most certainly DID get hit, you may have to look close to see it, but it definitely happened. That's why I said earlier "You call yourselve martial artists but don't even realize there is a strike occuring"

Every time the TKDer tries to kick, there are two strikes occuring, one to his ankle, and the other to his knee. If that technique were executed at full speed, the TKDer would be crippled. That's all there is to it. If you don't see that it's because you don't know what you're looking at.

peng: Then I put down my Issue of "Super Shaolin Fighetr" and went to bed.

The End.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 1:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi to all, I am primarily a lurker here but given that I know the background to this vid I thought I should make it public...

The video is from a Korean TV show about martial arts. Shaolin monk Shi Xing Hong was guest from China, together with various TKD korean champions. The host had the idea of having a Shaolin-TKD "match", but of course neither martial artists had any intention of hurting themselves/each other, it was all for fun, so they just did some non-coreographed light sparring for the cameras.

Note that whilst Jet Li was a forms champion both these guys, especially Shi Xing Hong, could indeed fight quite well.

The TKD champion obviously fights in TKD competitions: now sport TKD in my opinion is rather poor fighting, however it is fighting nonetheless and they do kick full contact and have KOs.

Shi Xing Hong grew up at the Shaolin temple where he studied forms, qi gong and sanda. So he can do flashy forms but he also fought plenty of full contact sanda, as well as doing intense amounts of qi gong conditioning, including daily kicking and punching of trees / rocks / assorted hard objects at full force.
    Not saying that he would "win the UFC" or "beat the Gracies" ... but he could certainly severely incapacitate most people with ease ...

C
    Last edited by chinpau; 5/06/2006 1:13pm at .

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 1:30pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see any indication that the TKD guy can fight well. He's acrobatic and is good at sport TKD, which in the past has not proven much in the past. I don't see any reason to attribute fighting skills to him.

Same with the Shaolin monk. I was under the impression that the monks do not train for full contact Sanda. I've seen nothing to suggest the contrary and the fact is the way the monk "fights" in this video would suggest he has no idea wth a fight normally looks like. Also, punching of rocks and trees at full force is a great way to get athiritis among other things. The shaolin monks look a lot more hardcore than they actually are. I think the monk could incapacitate most people his own SIZE due to athleticism, but that's about it.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast