Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 2:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate based dilemma

Basically I went to the gym today and I did a good workout and was fine afterward, so my wrist seems to be fine now. With that in mind, I hope to start Kyokushin on Monday (and return to straighblast for BJJ on Tuesday, yes!). The problem is, I can see my taking up Kyokushin as being a problem with my continuing training in Shorin ryu. I like training there, we have a laugh and we spar under full contact karate rules ie no face punching. However, we don't do this enough and it's starting to take a back seat because a few students feel that "there is more to Karate than sparring", which I think is bullshit. I was thinking of asking the guys that do spar to come with me for a class or two and see what they think (because I think we wouldn't have too much trouble as we really do kick the shite out each other when we do spar) but that makes me feel a little guilty because if I do decide to leave Shorin Ryu, I'm sure that at least one or two will leave aswell and the Dojo will fall deeper into just being kata and kihon. So what should I do? Stay and try my best at preseving good standards at the dojo? Or just look out for myself and **** the rest of them, let them do what they want?

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 2:43pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it depends on a few things.

What is your relationship with the owner of the Shorin-Ryu club? How many times a week do they train? Do they have a full time dojo that you could volunteer to run a pure sparring class at?
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I respect your loyalty.Have you considered that you and others leaving abruptly may affect those you train with and force them to question their own training?Ok!Maybe not really.If people wish to train in compliant , unrealistic and Kata based system.There's not much you can really do ,besides encourage them now,to consider other training methods.

With the existence of Youtube and video.google you can show clips of what you consider to be realistic training in fighting.You can encourage them other styles of Martial arts.One suggestion is maybe you can go up to the woman in your class and demonstrate what you were taught in BJJ.

Besides.after a few years of Kyokushin you can always go back and visit and offer to spar with them and exchange a few ideas.

Remember that bridge does not have to be set on fire .

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 2:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get on great with my Sensei, he's old school all over but he has to cater for everyone, he's also old so he has to slow down a bit. We train just once a week at the moment, and it's in a leisure centre so it's not full time. There are 9 of us in the senior class and only 4 of us spar regularly. I really don't like the idea of just handing the dojo to the non-sparring guys, but I don't want to continue doing stuff I'm not really interested in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 3:03pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're training for yourself, not for others, so do what is best for you. If you feel that you need to look for something better, then go for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 3:12pm

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do these other people not want to do any sparring? maybe the level of intensity is a bit much for them. try taking down the intensity a bit with them and keeping it nice and high with the others?

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    So what should I do? Stay and try my best at preseving good standards at the dojo? Or just look out for myself and **** the rest of them, let them do what they want?
    Would you try to pull a sinking ship out of the water while standing on the deck?

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 4:04pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Shuma Gorath.

While it's nice to be loyal and concerned for the school really there isn't much you can do but save yourself and maybe your friends. You'd be doing yourself injustice by not getting the best out of your training.

Also, you don't necessarily "owe" this karate school your loyalty as you did pay for instruction did you not? The senseis were not doing you a favor by teaching you. You were doing them a favor by paying them. Of course the amount of dedication the instructor puts into teaching shouldn't go unnoticed, but it shouldn't be enough to prevent you from growing as a fighter.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have you, say, talked to sensei about the matter?

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 6:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may have a simpler solution.

If the only reason you train Shorin is non-shorin reasons, then you really are looking for the fighting. What I mean by that is if you have no respect for kata--shows you nothing--if the basics and all of that do not suit your needs then you have no loyalty to Shorin. This is different than, "yes, I do but now I want to concentrate applying the concepts in fighting." The analogy would be working BJJ drills but never "rolling."

So, if you are not tied to Shorin, switching styles is not an issue for you. If you are--you are taking Kyokushin for the sparring--then I still do not see the issue. You only have one Shorin class a week. Unless you have time restraints, do it all. Ultimately, K is not that foreign from Shorin--same roots--they may even share kata.

Then, are you concerned with offending your Shorin teacher. He does not own you. The way you describe him, he should understand your needs. A lot of traditional schools have separate sparring classes for these very reasons--ability to concentrate on applications, strategy, and just plan "doing it." Look at K as a sparing class.

If you are senior enough a student, you may be able to take the advice of TehDeadlyDimMak to start running a sparring class. It does not have to be formal--"BOW TO YOUR SENSEI!" All you need is one other person who feels the way you do.

If people start squawking "brand loyalty" one of the best classes I ever had was at a university in Okinawa. The sparing club is open to all styles--they all spar with one another. "Style" was ignored. Perhaps some of the K students would be happy to come to--say--your sparring classes?

--J.D.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast