Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya gotta love that! Honestly, what would we make fun of if it wern't for TKD.

I also love the 45 min classes, for the on the go martial artist. Thats an 1:30 a week...Tops.

BTW, that panther looks fierce, might want to rethink the death match.

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, as with most every thing, training is what you make of it... nothing inheirently wrong with the art of TKD, just the merchandising of it leaves a bad taste. I've seen some Korean TKD people (and those trained seriously by same such) that kick serious ass.

/but WTF, I just am posting to make the nanny messages go away
    //Hey, to anyone who knows who I was
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how adding a logo doubles the cost of the uniform.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 10:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Poop Loops
    I like how adding a logo doubles the cost of the uniform.
    typically dobak, complete with logo, are free given the first intro class... I've even gotten the Korean and American flags for the shoulders for free. They suck you in with free dobaks... Guess I fail to see your point.
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 11:33pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tkdan28
    typically dobak, complete with logo, are free given the first intro class... I've even gotten the Korean and American flags for the shoulders for free. They suck you in with free dobaks... Guess I fail to see your point.
    Some people don't like the idea of paying to be a walking billboard. Unfortunately this is most common in our modern day society with name brands on everything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 5:08am

Style: Chosun Krotty and Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Verexus
    Background

We then moved onto self defense, which was horribly laughable. Both people stood about 3 feet from each other and traded off attacking with a punch to the face, while the defender would then block and return the punch.
    My TKD training is now complete.
    What you were doing were called "one steps" which allows you to learn how to counter a punch with pre-prescribed blocks and such, and yes looks robotic as hell. Im surprised you guys didn't do more than just "block and punch". These days some TKD is mostly sport and caters to alot of kids (cause thats how to keep their schools open). I agree some of it seems monotonous, but I wouldn't diss the entire art of TKD because of a rushed gym-style class. There are true schools out there, you just have to find them. Maybe their are some out there like your old one. Next time ya spar, take it easy on the green belts, heh. That green belt was right, they don't have kicks to head at their belt, but thats because at their level, they would probably hurt each other. Do you know what the color of your red belt means?
    Last edited by NPTAKICK; 4/30/2006 6:00am at .

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 5:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quietly backs away and sneeks behind the flame-proof barricades. . . .

--J.D.

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:46am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NPTAKICK
    I agree some of it seems monotonous, but I wouldn't diss the entire art of TKD because of a rushed gym-style class. There are true schools out there, you just have to find them. Maybe their are some out there like your old one. Next time ya spar, take it easy on the green belts, heh. That green belt was right, they don't have kicks to head at their belt, but thats because at their level, they would probably hurt each other. Do you know what the color of your red belt means?
    this probably isnt the best place to turn apologist....

~Sniff~ don't hurt our green belts, they haven't paid enough to defend themselves yet..
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33
    this probably isnt the best place to turn apologist....

~Sniff~ don't hurt our green belts, they haven't learned enough to defend themselves against advanced techniques yet..
    There, fixed that for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 9:24am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not "dissing" the entire art of TKD, just the one in the gym I was describing. I was quite happy with the TKD place I was at that closed down.

I didn't kick that green belt in the head, I threw the kick over their head as not to make contact.
    I jumped and did a back swing kick over their head.
    Maybe I shouldn't even have done that; it was a bit advanced for the green belt, and I hadn't really sparred or even played around with anyone at that level in a while.

I am also familiar with the WTF one-step sparring (1-32), and what they were doing wasn't it. From what I was lead to believe their method was to just counter with a punch or kick, there weren't any predefined movement sets.

My biggest problem is that everyone and their brother runs a TKD studio in Texas, and I did like the school before the one that closed down, before it slowly turned into a daycare.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast