Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 10:26am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yet Another TKD Experience

Background
    I had been studying TKD at a pretty non-traditional place for a few years. It was really more MMA at times then TKD. We sparred with various degrees of contact ranging from light to full depending on experience, we could grapple, we could trip, we could push, and we could throw. We studied the typical WTF forms as well as grappling and joint-locks under the guise of self-defense. Students were also encouraged to get experience in other styles, for example there was one guy who also studied WC Kung Fu, and another who also attended a near by MMA place. We also didn't spend anytime on point sparring because it was "unrealistic." The night classes were also adult only, which was nice.

Needless to say this place went out of business.

I then decided to join a gym, and noticed they also offered free TKD as part of the gym membership. I was of course skeptical, but I figured "what the hell, it might be good for a laugh."

Story
    The place was called the American Tae Kwon Do Academy, and had a mural of a odd looking cartoon panther wearing a dobok with a black belt on the wall of the studio. Their web site motto is "The best defense is self-defense," which matches well with their cartoon panther mascot.

I called the instructor before attending class and let him know my rank and where I studied. One of the first things he said to me was that I could test for black belt next month if I wanted to, which was fairly alarming.

At the first class the first thing I noticed was all of the students were adults (18-25), but they were all white and yellow belts with the exception of one green belt. I felt a little out of place being a red belt with a black tip.

The class started with light contact sparring with no pads, and I was paired with the green belt. I figured that there would be no punching, pushing, grappling or throwing, and this was confirmed when I asked the instructor for the rules.

At the start of the fight the green belt threw a sloppy telegraphed roundhouse, which I blocked with my shin and turned into a soft roundhouse to their ribs. The green belt immediately informed me that there was "no contact," to which my reply was "light contact is not that same thing as no contact," and we continued.

The green belt then charged into me with their chest against mine in an attempt to prevent me from throwing any kicks. Normally this is where I would take this silliness to the ground since they decided to close the distance for me, but this was pure TKD so I jumped and did a back swing kick over their head.

The green belt stopped and informed me that there were "no kicks to the head." I then starred at them with somewhat of a blank look, and the instructor halted the sparring and had everyone switch partners.

Everyone else was just as inexperienced, but complained less. At my previous studio there was at least one other student who could hand my ass to me without breaking a sweat, and everyone else was pretty much on my same level. My old instructor would also spar with us which was fun, since he was so good.

We then did a bunch of cardio work and threw lots of silly kicks.

We then moved onto self defense, which was horribly laughable. Both people stood about 3 feet from each other and traded off attacking with a punch to the face, while the defender would then block and return the punch. I played along and made a comment to my partner about whether the instructor was going to save the techniques that were "too deadly for the street" for the end of class; the other student didn't laugh and just shrugged his shoulders.

At the end of class everyone recited the class pledge, which was some **** about respecting parents, nature, and other crap which seemed silly for adults.

I ended up going to two more classes with the same results before I stopped going. The gym is nice though.

My TKD training is now complete.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whoa whoa whoa, are you telling me there are tkd schools that train unrealistically?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 10:37am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time for Muay Thai my friend.

(Or MMA, depends on what you prefer.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA sounds good (I don't think there is a MT place near where I live), as long as they have a cartoon mascot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 11:25am

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go back and challenge the mascot to the death.

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 1:53pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Verexus
    MMA sounds good (I don't think there is a MT place near where I live), as long as they have a cartoon mascot.
    What area are you in? I'm sure someone can recommend a good school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 2:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in Hurst, TX. There are MA places on every other corner from here to Dallas, and I would appreciate any recommendations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 3:28pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long had the classes been going on? Sounds like probably not that long. That and it looks on the schedule like there aren't a lot of adult classes. Though the instructor telling you you could test for black should be a huge red flag. How can he say this without having seen how good you are or anything like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it seemed like a pretty new setup with the lack of higher belts, and the offer for me to test for black belt without ever actually seeing me pretty much soured the idea of seriously attending that place. Like I said though, it was good for a laugh and something to bitch about. I was just really there for the gym membership, and thought I could give it a try despite all of the obvious warnings.

The kiddy theme though is pretty strong, and I had left another school before because it turned into a day care center with a punching bag.

I guess I need to go challenge the panther to a death match and post the pictures in the mean time.

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 5:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $1 a MINUTE for private lessons?

$5 for them to evaluate your belt test performance?

Is this normal?
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast