Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:10am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    ". This survey is aimed primarily at traditional striking arts."

What type of kickboxing?
    I'm sorry if I posted wrong thread. I'm noobie and english is not my homelanguage. But I think that kickboxing is older and more traditional than for example sanda or Nisei Goju Jitsu.

We have no a special name for kickboxing, except "potkunyrkkeily" which means kickboxing in finnish. We are a member of WAKO. We fight Full Contact rules and Low Kick rules. Light Contact rules we use to train for Full Contact fights. I am the Light Contact champion of Finland, but it's not a goal, it's preparation. There are also K-1-rules used in Finland, but nobody from my club has ever fight under these rules. Perhaps on some day and we train knees little bit also.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:49am

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Hey guys, just for my personal enlightenment (I want to see how my dojo policies compare to others), I was wondering if you guess could answer a few questions. This survey is aimed primarily at traditional striking arts.

1. What is your style?

2. Does your belt train stricky as a class, or do people get promoted individually at a time?

3. How do you spar (point, freespar, etc.)?

4. How often do you spar?

5. Does your instructor give you written materials to study from and use for reference?

6. Does your school offer weapons training?

7. Does your school have an age policy?

8. Does your instructor spar you ever?
    1. Taiji (with sword) and Hsing-I, but the school offers more.

2. We don't do belts. Once you've been given (and presumably understand) the lessons that constitute a class, you may take the next class in that course of study. The courses of study branch off into different emphasis.

3. We don't "spar" per se as a part of the curriculum, but rather use sensitivty and awareness excercises like pushing hands to develop core skills. I'm not sure if any of the classes I don't yet qualify for get into more intense and competitive practice.

4. We practice the above mentioned excercises in every relevant class.

5. Yes. A rack of instructional handouts is in the waiting room.

6. An extensive variety of weapons, yes.

7. No children.

8. If you're lucky, the instructor will choose you as an example to illustrate the drills.
    Last edited by peng; 4/30/2006 4:53am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:45am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Hey guys, just for my personal enlightenment (I want to see how my dojo policies compare to others), I was wondering if you guess could answer a few questions. This survey is aimed primarily at traditional striking arts.

1. What is your style? Korean MA, WTF TKD in the caribbean an TSD , HKD, Kum -do in Va beach

2. Does your belt train stricky as a class, or do people get promoted individually at a time? individual promotions

3. How do you spar (point, freespar, etc.)?

depends on whats going on, regularly we sparred free-spar.......if there was a tournament comin up, like for example a freespar karate one where theres gonna be goju-ryu an kyukoshin dudes, we'd prepare by sparrin under those rules. if there was a regular point tournament comin up whoever was gonna be in it, we prepare by sparrin under those rules

4. How often do you spar?

once or twice a week, for an event, every day of training, or get with some buddies from class an other styles an pick different enviroments like sparrin on grass, concrete, or beach

5. Does your instructor give you written materials to study from and use for reference? the one in the caribbean did sometimes, just to familarize newbies with the history an general info of what they're doin. the in va beach.....naw not unless u ask the one of the instructors

6. Does your school offer weapons training?

primarily butterfly knives an bo-staff with the occasional sword

7. Does your school have an age policy?
    gotta be at least 15-16 to be a BB, though there are a few younger ones runnin around in rare cases

8. Does your instructor spar you ever
    not when i was in Va, but in the caribbean my instructor beat my ass every time we sparred or made me spar one of the younger instructors / senior belts

they do that to potential prodigies

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng

3. We don't "spar" per se as a part of the curriculum, but rather use sensitivty and awareness excercises like pushing hands to develop core skills. I'm not sure if any of the classes I don't yet qualify for get into more intense and competitive practice.

8. If you're lucky, the instructor will choose you as an example to illustrate the drills.
    The other day, someone asked one of our school's top fighters for some MMA guard-passing techniques. The instructor pulled a student aside, laid him on his back, and broke the technique down, step-by-step. After demoing the move a couple times, he got up and said he wants to show the move live now, at which point he turned to me and said "Aaron, you got a mouthguard?"

For the next five minutes I was scrambling on my back like a retard, desperately trying to get to my feet while my instructor hovered overtop and molested me like a drunk uncle. I could not get to my feet. I could not hit the single leg. I could not get him into my closed guard. I was fighting back with everything I had, the fruits of years of hard training and conditioning, and still I was completely helpless. He knew every escape, every way I would attempt to turn, roll, scoot, or otherwise defend myself. It was miserable and excruciating and embarrassing and wonderful.

And that, my friend, is why my school is better than your school.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:20pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng

2. We don't do belts. Once you've been given (and presumably understand) the lessons that constitute a class, you may take the next class in that course of study. The courses of study branch off into different emphasis.

4. We practice the above mentioned excercises in every relevant class.

5. Yes. A rack of instructional handouts is in the waiting room.

6. An extensive variety of weapons, yes.

7. No children.

This survey makes me extremely sad . . .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's really amazing is that in about 80-90% of TMA schools, items 2, 5, and 7 would be a huge source of inexplicable pride, but the embarrassment of 3 and 6 would go totally unnoticed.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 6:50pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    What's really amazing is that in about 80-90% of TMA schools, items 2, 5, and 7 would be a huge source of inexplicable pride, but the embarrassment of 3 and 6 would go totally unnoticed.
    My instructor gives us handouts occasionally. He's got a list of techniques he wants everyone to be competent at before they are promoted to blue, for instance.

I can think of several good reasons to give your students supplemental handouts. I suspect, however, that the reasons I am thinking of are not the same as many . . . well, you know.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12