Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 10:04pm

Style: WC,Boxin,Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

La Savate

Iiight last nite i was watchin tv and there is this show called "deadly arts" that comes on fitTV......what they do is they tell the history of different arts ever episode and they have somone train in it for a month or so and they show in depth the art and its masters and all types of ****........so far i have seen them show muay thai and some asian art.....which was bullshido so i didnt even wana remember what it was.....but then last nite they showed this art called La Savate which is a french martial art..........and i have never heard of it before this and they mentioned that there is little known about the art across the world but the thing was this art was not bullshit........i was wondering if anyone else has heard of the art before?.....cuz these guys could fight there asses off.......they were on muay thai status if not better.......but they said the reason the art isnt that big is because the first and second world war had killed most of its practicioners.......and its startin to take off in france now....it is fought in the ring just like muay thai...but i was also wondering if there were some skools in america teachin this art

go ahead and look up some videos of it for urself.....i'm sure there is some online

-pZ people

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 10:19pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah and he was BADASS. He broke his hand in the first fight, then came back and beat the living **** out of another guy twice his size.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 10:47pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there was a Savat School in the United States, i'd be hopin' it was near me.

Keep in mind I know very little about it, but it certainly has peeked my interest. As much as Bartitsu actually....which reminds me: Anyone know of a Bartitsu Reconstruction society in Ohio?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 11:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 11:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's plenty of info. on savate available online, and a few good schools in the US (most are in Europe, Canada and Australia). Just try a Google search.

Re. Bartitsu, which borrowed some elements from savate; there aren't any schools in Ohio, but Kirk Lawson will be teaching a Bartitsu workshop at a Western MA get-together at Pymatuning State Park next month: http://swordforge.org/events/2006cb/overview.php

See also the Bartitsu Forum at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bartitsu_Forum/ and/or order the new book about the history and techniques at http://www.lulu.com/content/138834

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 11:12pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gerard Gordeau was the UFC 1 guy, he made it all the way to the finals and lost to ROyce Gracie, he was definitely a bad ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there something weird about the savate shoes?

Genius

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 11:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate is ok, at least they fight full contact. Much of their kicks rely on using the toe as a weapon, which is good if you have really tough toes. The reason for the toe kicks is because savate shoes used to be made with wooden tips. This guy showed me how to use a crescent kick to setup a hard round kick. The crescent kick is used to pull the guarding hands down and then the round kick follows up. I use it sparring sometimes, but it's hard for me to pull off.. Of course, he made it look easy when doing it on me.

I've met an amateur European Savate Chamption, he trained with us in Muay Thai. His opinion was that Savate teaches deadly accuracy while Muay Thai taught power. Dan Inosanto told me that Savate is like using a hammer while Muay Thai is like using a steel bat. Both can be deadly effective.
    Last edited by Thaiboxerken; 4/28/2006 11:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 11:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my father learned savate in the airforce, he said he liked it, but didn't have enough discipline to do it at that time. He learned it from an old French jew who survived ww2. I personally would love to try it out, atleast for a seminar or two. then again I can't even find a decent Muay thai school around my area so meh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 11:33pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there is one thing I would learn from a savate master, it is the La Canne (Cane techniques) syllabus. I will forget the rest. My personal opinion. Does a typical savate class only teach the La Canne part of the syllabus?

GMW
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast