Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:11pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Handloading

Curious as to who else on here is in to homebrewing their own ammo? I have the Rock Chucker kit and am learning to make different recipes for my .45. Spend alot of time at the range policing up all my shells that dont wind up forward of the line. I know it would be cheaper to just use a .22 plinker but I just love my .45 and wind up shooting it every time I go.

Admins: What are your feelings re: discussing handloading and recipes? Some gun forums are pretty strict about it as its easy to hurt yourself and others if you don't know what the **** you are doing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realize it's way cheaper to hand load, what would be commerically considered, premium loads.

But how much cheaper is it than, say, blazer ammo? $6.99 for a box of 50 would be quite a good price.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a Lee reloader. I don't cast my own bullets, but I'd like to. Mainly because I want to make some rounds for a Webly .455, and can't buy bulets anywhere. I do have casings though, and can buy the die for my press.

Right now I only reload .45 ammo. I think that anybody reloading ought to know what they are doing when it comes to powdering the cartriges. You have to measure that **** carefully or make sure your press is measuring it out accurately. Anyone reloading shouldn't guess about what they're doing. Calibate your loads according to specifications from the manufacturer or a book. I have the Lee reloading book, and like it quite much. You can deviate, but you have to be careful, and shouldn't deviate too much.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:21pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I reload

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider
    Curious as to who else on here is in to homebrewing their own ammo? I have the Rock Chucker kit and am learning to make different recipes for my .45. Spend alot of time at the range policing up all my shells that dont wind up forward of the line. I know it would be cheaper to just use a .22 plinker but I just love my .45 and wind up shooting it every time I go.

Admins: What are your feelings re: discussing handloading and recipes? Some gun forums are pretty strict about it as its easy to hurt yourself and others if you don't know what the **** you are doing.
    Well I reload for 40 sw, 357mag, 223 and 22-250 as well as some other misc. I cant give you any recipies specifically, however i can give you alittle advice. Get your self a good book follow the recomendations of that book. Anyone who tells you that you can over load somthing, smile polietly and thank them for their help. DO NOT FOLLOW SOMEONES RECIPIES YOU GET OFF THE INTERNET.

Also as a good rule I do not give any outside my family reloads. I do not reload for anyone nor do i give adivse other then the above for reloading. It is just not worth the liability. Have fun good luck and enjoy. It is a great hobby.

PT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:40pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    I realize it's way cheaper to hand load, what would be commerically considered, premium loads.

But how much cheaper is it than, say, blazer ammo? $6.99 for a box of 50 would be quite a good price.
    The advantage I see is all in functionality, Blazers are great for makeing noise however they are inconsistance when i comes to powder loads primers, and various other ways. Will it make a difference to most handgun shooters? Maybe, it is somting that i consider when buying/reloading.

Also you can get the price pretty close to $4 a box for 45. It is a matter of finding brass instead of buying it, buying a good bullet die, and being very careful in the way you reload. Over time it works out to be pretty low in cost.

WARNING. If you have a 45 with a angular rifled barrel instead of trational lan and groves DO NOT shoot lead bullets. You can cause serious problems with pressure and possibly damage your gun and you self.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:42pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree that posting recipes are a bad thing, just wanted to kind of get a feeling for opinions around here. :toothy9:

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 11:58pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Handloading is part of the mystique of the gunslinger.

I see no problems with it, but everyone should really use their best judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 8:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True. Sometimes a casing will get bent a little, or a bullet won't seat just right. You gotta toss those, don't even risk it. I once had one of my hand loads bullet got stuck in the barrell. If I would have shot another round off, I could have been in serious trouble. So, "be careful" is the rule of the day.

I always pack my guns with factory ammo, reloads are only for practice. I don't want one of my rounds failing on me when I need it.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 10:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that after seeking professional training, buying a progressive reloading is the best investment that someone who is serious about firearms training can make. I have a Dillong 650 and would not trade it for anything. I load .45, .40, 5.56mm and 7.62mm Match ammo on it. It works very well for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 11:50am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I load a lot of the handgun calibers (.38 Special, .357 magnum, 9 mm, 10 mm, .40, 357 Sig, .45 ACP) and find it to be an enjoyable hobby. Once you start refining your recipes, and tweaking them to your satsifaction, you can often times find that your accuracy increases, and that your trigger mechanics become that much better, simply because you are able to shoot 2-3x as much for the money spent.

I will not give the exact recipe for a most wonderful .45 ACP load, but you can find it on Vihtavuori's website, as they have an online version of the reloading manual.

Their N320 powder, in combination with a 230 grain FMJ round nosed bullet, using their lengths and powder charges (just 0.1 grain above the minimum recommended charge) produces an excellent plinking load that still has enough power to knock over the pepper poppers, and has virtually no muzzle flash. It burns very cleanly.

My costs:

Brass = free
    230 grain FMJ round nosed bullet: 7.5 cents
    VV N320 powder: 1.5 cents
    Winchester large pistol primer: 1.5 cents

This comes out to about 10.5 cents / round, or about $5.25 / box of 50. This ammo is more accurate than any factory ammo in MY guns (YMMV), and I know that it reliably cycles the slide of all of my .45 ACP pistols.