Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Suuup? GREAT SITE!

An excellent site indeed…I dig everything this site is about. Especially the idea of meeting up & comparing style vs style in an ego free envoirnment.

I believe competition is healthy, and a necessity in the evolution of martial arts. It’s also entertaining as hell!

As a former Aikido student, I believe their refusal to compete is little more than Japanese arrogance passed down along with its techniques. Moreover, Aikido Students were/are prohibited from cross training in other styles as it is considered disrespectful to the teacher. I am thankful to not have wasted too much time with Aikido.

I truly feel sorry for those who spend the better part of their lives studying something that is not true. Ie: TKD “Grand Masters” Hopefully, sites like bullshido will help prevent this.

Anyways, I hope to meet some cool people off of here, & perhaps learn some training tips to help become a better rounded fighter.

My experience is as follows:

3 years aikido.
    (international gesture of masturbation)
    Don’t make me redirect you!

2+ years of some pretty intense Muay Thai w/ private instruction 3+ times a week
    (still straining once a week)

3 Weeks of Gracie BJJ
    I was shocked to find out how outclassed I really am when I comes to grappling.

I’ve seen mma Matches, but I had no idea how intricate & complex ground fighting really was. So far, I have yet to be able to apply Aikido to the ground. I suppose Muay Thai’s elbows come in handy when in a dominant position. But other than that, I am rather worthless. Has anyone else been able to apply the concepts of a stand up style, to the ground?

Kindest,

L0G1C

Style
    Hiatus for Gen. Fitness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Standup style applied to the ground? Yeah, punches hurt more when there is no room to rock the head. Elbows too.

Question though, you guys were disallowed to crosstrain while in Aikido? I've only had minimal Aikido training (ukemi and the most basic techniques,) but we were encouraged to take it up alongside our TKD club.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy
    Question though, you guys were disallowed to crosstrain while in Aikido?
    Sup CNagy?

Indeed we were. I guess it's not true in 100% of aikido schools...but in our association cross training is prohibited for 2 reasons.

#1 - It was like saying "youre not good enough to teach me everything...so i have to go elsewhere for training"

well, hey...no one knows it all....i don't care who you are

#2 - It may conflict with what we are teaching you.

which...to some extent i can understand. If someone throws a left jab, i should have a clear concept of what i'd like to do. Muay thai may tell me one thing & Aiki may say another...My reaction should be natural.

Style
    Hiatus for Gen. Fitness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, those reasons make sense from a certain perspective. It just seemed odd to me because our association is essentially the flipside of the coin; we are encouraged to learn Aikido alongside our TKD when we are still low ranked, and higher rank TKD tests have an aikido portion. But then, I guess our school is sort of a hybrid style; all of the TKD instructors have dan rankings in Aikido, and they don't promote new blackbelts without Aikido training.

In any case, thanks for the explaination. How's the BJJ working out for you?

Style
    mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ........ Welcome aboard!