Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:41pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    It's not about superior. Again, I'm not suggesting anyone replace any part of their routine with this. All I'm saying is that they will enhance your practice.
    ...and my claim is any physical activity has just as much potential of enhancing your practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:41pm

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by porch
    While peng has stated that his sparring within his art is very limited, he has also stated he has extensive real life experience, which I'm sure you'll agree, validates him. He has stated that he has a significant amount of experience as a doorman, and in all his time in security has not gotten injured once. Also, on the mean streets of Miami, he has successfully fended off Street Gangs single-handedly. So, don't be a hater, lol.
    Damn skippy, lol.

Doorman, though? I mean, c'mon, how'd you draw that from what I said? I do event security, lol.

And typically, a gang type situation would involve two groups of folks. The people I hung out with and the ones that had beef. The most I ever had to deal with, alone, personally, would be three. On one occasion, I did pretty good, on another, I got my ass handed me, lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    btw Peng is your avatar doing Tang Lang?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinz
    ...and my claim is any physical activity has just as much potential of enhancing your practice.
    Well, any physical activity has potential to enhance your practice, but not every physical activity has as much potential.

That brings up an interesting point though, for a proper scientific trial, we'd need a control group.

Perhaps the haters would be willing to take the same measurements as the participants, so as to compare the efficacy(to steal a word from Doc).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinz
    btw Peng is your avatar doing Tang Lang?
    No clue.

It kinda looks like preying mantis to me. I like the way he moves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapp
    From your description it sounds a lot like Yoga, or similar to. Do you think these exercises are similar to a Yoga exercise?

As far as Yoga goes. I did it for probably a year. It was good for a while, I definatly got some benefits from it. Flexibility, muscle toning, it eased my aching joints/back, and after the completion of the workout I felt very relaxed.

After I started BJJ and saw the vast improvements I was getting from serious calesthenics and cardio work, I said screw this Yoga crap. Sure I dont get the flexibility and my joints still ache and so does my back, but the amount of time I spent doing Yoga was really a waste. The benefits I got from "real" exercise far outweighed the benefits I got from doing Yoga.

Not to mention that I had to do like an hour of Yoga to even feel like I had exercised.

But seriously, holding static postures with your arms in varoius positions and deep breathing can't really cant compare with "real" exercise.

Since some of the guys here have volunteered to try your exercise routine. Why doesnt one of our more qualified guys provide you with a routine to try out, for a month or so. Then you tell us which you think is better and why.

Personally I believe after you see the benefits of calesthenics and cardio work, you'll really wish you hadn't wasted all your time standing around on 1 foot for 4 years...
    I'd be willing to incorporate some suggested cardio work, definitely.

Like I said, though, what I'm talking about isn't a substitution for "real" excercise, and it's quicker than Yoga, but yes, it's similar in concept.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That brings up an interesting point though, for a proper scientific trial, we'd need a control group.
    You finally found one of my points. Learning is best when the student thinks it was their idea in the first place.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:48pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All this anti-IMA propaganda has really got my head spinning, lol. I honestly had no clue people were so closed-minded concerning these techniques.

I can understand the skepticism, though, in light of all the half-baked and ridiculous claims that people make concerning mystical powers and the projection of invisible energy.

I would like to go on record, however, as saying that IMA has nothing whatsoever to do with any of that, and any teacher worth the price of admission will tell you as much, so long as he isn't trying to fool you. (That CAN be a concern in these things, lol.)

So what I'm wondering is this:

If I were to prepare an instructional video demonstrating some of the basic standing meditation techiniques that are a regular part of IMA training, how many of you would be interested in approaching the subject with an open mind, trying the excercises for a little while, and sharing your experiences with the rest of the board?

The actual fighting part we'll get to later, don't worry. I just believe that, once you've felt the benefit that these excercises have to offer, you won't be able to deny their effectiveness.

The excercises will involve holding static postures with your arms in various positions while engaging in specific deep breathing techniques. They will work to increase nearly every aspect of your fighting art, regardless of particular mechanics of style or other training regimen.

I am asking that you record both objective and subjective data to determine the effectiveness of this training technique. I would like to enlist the assistance of around ten volunteers.

I'm down, but only because I just recently started doing pranayama exercises every morning to increase my lung capacity. I could use a few more good techniques to build on to that.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Thread Killer

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps the haters would be willing to take the same measurements as the participants, so as to compare the efficacy(to steal a word from Doc).

What measurments? You haven't defined anything yet. Do you have any scientific qualifications at all?

How about you be the control group? You do nothing whatsoever for the same period and tell us how much things got worse for you. It'll be just about as valid.

EDIT:

How about this for an experiment: You do 12 weeks of uphill buddy carry races of 40 yards or more, once a day, six days a week. Tell us how it makes you feel.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 4/28/2006 3:52pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    What measurments? You haven't defined anything yet. Do you have any scientific qualifications at all?

How about you be the control group? You do nothing whatsoever for the same period and tell us how much things got worse for you. It'll be just about as valid.
    You're hardly contributing constructively to the discourse, Tom.
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast