Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:25pm

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saku39
    i'll do your exercise and measure my heart rate. But, by holding some stance, surely you are n't trying to improve your cardio. so, you'll need to tell us what is supposed to be the benefit of the exercise.

MMA routine? PLEASE PLEASE STOP! you don't know what the **** mma is, you -by your own admission- have at most tapsparring experience. You have no grappling experience. just stop, this **** is delusional. stick to what you know. or go and learn from people that know.
    Folks do MMA, why would I give them excercises optimized for Taiji stances?

You have to understand that each art has a custom-tailored set of hand positions to accompany the breathing excercises that is designed to work the parts of the body engaged while holding the gaurd or applying a technique.

Some are truly universal, but based on what I've seen of MMA fights, others wouldn't have much practical benefit to a practicioner of that art based on the stances and tactics typically employed, and I can envision a few that may be of benefit.

You wanted science, this is science, hypothesize, test, record observations and draw conclusions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:28pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    Well, see I'm not really out to prove it as opposed to another martial art. I'm interested in showing how particular training techniques are effective in improving fighting ability and physical conditioning.
    Maybe opposing it to another martial art was too strong... how about opposing it to any form of activity? If your not prepared to compare a martial art to another martial art then what are you going to compare it to? A person that doesn't perform Tai Chi or a person that doesn't perform any physical activity? Hell a person that plays golf constantly could be argueing to have improved fighting ability (See Formula 51, the movie, for example).

1. Physical activity increases physical conditioning... Tai chi is more physical then sitting... therefore Tai chi is helpfull.

2. A tai chi practicioner can fight better then a person who only sits.... Tai Chi is a combat art.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a tough one, lol. I can see where it is easily translatable into a stronger gaurd, and I can see how it COULD make an armbar stronger, but it's an odd sort of connection, so you probably wouldn't merit it, lol.

You said specifically that these exercises "will work to increase nearly every aspect of your fighting art". If you wish to have any shred of credibility to your studies "objectiveness", you need to define what that will be. So, if you would prefer to use the strength of ones guard as the criteria over the strength of an armbar, you will need to describe how a practitioner will be able to determine this.

Of course, since you have no grappling experience, this could get amusing quite quickly, even to someone like me who doesn't grapple.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, see I'm not really out to prove it as opposed to another martial art. I'm interested in showing how particular training techniques are effective in improving fighting ability and physical conditioning.

That's not unusual. Many fighters practice yoga for instance. The trick will be proving that your proposed techniques are superior or different than any current training methods.

Good luck with that.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:32pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    You said specifically that these exercises "will work to increase nearly every aspect of your fighting art". If you wish to have any shred of credibility to your studies "objectiveness", you need to define what that will be. So, if you would prefer to use the strength of ones guard as the criteria over the strength of an armbar, you will need to describe how a practitioner will be able to determine this.

Of course, since you have no grappling experience, this could get amusing quite quickly, even to someone like me who doesn't grapple.
    Tom my friend you have hit on a common problem in science, the process of objectively defining something. This means that you have to take what you want to measure and then define it using your experiment. Thus you would need to find what exactly constitutes an increase in fighting ability given the context of the study and I mean EXACTLY.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:32pm

Style: kb, tapping, jjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saku39
    MMA routine? PLEASE PLEASE STOP! you don't know what the **** mma is, you -by your own admission- have at most tapsparring experience. you have no grappling experience. just stop, this **** is delusional. stick to what you know. or go and learn from people that know.
    While peng has stated that his sparring within his art is very limited, he has also stated he has extensive real life experience, which I'm sure you'll agree, validates him. He has stated that he has a significant amount of experience as a doorman, and in all his time in security has not gotten injured once. Also, on the mean streets of Miami, he has successfully fended off Street Gangs single-handedly. So, don't be a hater, lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinz
    Maybe opposing it to another martial art was too strong... how about opposing it to any form of activity? If your not prepared to compare a martial art to another martial art then what are you going to compare it to? A person that doesn't perform Tai Chi or a person that doesn't perform any physical activity? Hell a person that plays golf constantly could be argueing to have improved fighting ability (See Formula 51, the movie, for example).

1. Physical activity increases physical conditioning... Tai chi is more physical then sitting... therefore Tai chi is helpfull.

2. A tai chi practicioner can fight better then a person who only sits.... Tai Chi is a combat art.
    It's not about which art is superior. It's about what each art has to offer someone who studies it. That is largely dependant on how it is studied.

In the end it's not BJJ that beats TKD, it's Royce Gracie that beats Dariusz Nowicki.

The specific techniques I'm offering here are designed to help conserve energy and preserve strength throughout the lifetime of a conflict. This is a definite benefit to any fighter.

These, in essence are the "extraordinary claims" I'm making.

These excercises will help conserve energy and preserve strength throughout the lifetime of a conflict.

Professional Lurker

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: None at the moment.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you handle 15-20 minutes, or should we start with 5 and work our way up?
    Let's start with 5 minutes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    That's not unusual. Many fighters practice yoga for instance. The trick will be proving that your proposed techniques are superior or different than any current training methods.

Good luck with that.
    It's not about superior. Again, I'm not suggesting anyone replace any part of their routine with this. All I'm saying is that they will enhance your practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 3:41pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The excercises will involve holding static postures with your arms in various positions while engaging in specific deep breathing techniques.
    From your description it sounds a lot like Yoga, or similar to. Do you think these exercises are similar to a Yoga exercise?

As far as Yoga goes. I did it for probably a year. It was good for a while, I definatly got some benefits from it. Flexibility, muscle toning, it eased my aching joints/back, and after the completion of the workout I felt very relaxed.

After I started BJJ and saw the vast improvements I was getting from serious calesthenics and cardio work, I said screw this Yoga crap. Sure I dont get the flexibility and my joints still ache and so does my back, but the amount of time I spent doing Yoga was really a waste. The benefits I got from "real" exercise far outweighed the benefits I got from doing Yoga.

Not to mention that I had to do like an hour of Yoga to even feel like I had exercised.

But seriously, holding static postures with your arms in varoius positions and deep breathing can't really cant compare with "real" exercise.

Since some of the guys here have volunteered to try your exercise routine. Why doesnt one of our more qualified guys provide you with a routine to try out, for a month or so. Then you tell us which you think is better and why.

Personally I believe after you see the benefits of calesthenics and cardio work, you'll really wish you hadn't wasted all your time standing around on 1 foot for 4 years...
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast